NBA Thread

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

SIAP.  But what's going on between Victor and the Pacers ?

Multiple teams target Victor Oladipo after Pacers offer is rejected 

Vic and Pacers started contact negotiations to get a feel for what it'll take to keep Vic.  It'll be hard to keep all four Oladipo($25 mil or max), Brogdon($20 mil per yr), Turner($18 mil per yr) and Sabonis($17 mil per yr) and spread the rest of the money($80 mil given to these four if Victor takes only $25 mi, that only leaves $45 mil for the rest of a team) and have solid depth.  Add in TJ Warren at $12.6 mil, Jeremy Lamb at $10.5 mil, Goga at $3.1 mil, McConnell at $4 mil per yr Aaron Holiday at $4 mil and that brings your total to $110.2 mil, leaving approx. $11 mil left to spend.  That total is for only 9 players.  Seems fine right?  BUT look at a depth chart for only those 9 players:

PG - Brogdon/McConnell

SG - Victor/Holiday

SF - Warren/Lamb

PF - Sabonis

C - Turner/Goga

With $11 mil left to spend, your 1st rd draft pick for the 2022 season will take around $3 mil(picking around low 20s) so now you are left with approx. $8 mil to find a solid backup PF(This will be very hard to find IMO).  The 1st rd draft pick will not make an immediate impact in 2020 IMO.  All of this isn't considering what is happening with COVID-19 and how it'll affect the salary cap in the years to come(Has to lower for the next few years to help offset losses right?). 

I say everything above to say this, IMO you do not let your best player leave for nothing and the likelihood of trading Victor for two future all stars and getting lucky(ala PG-13 trade) is very slim.  You do not let your best player leave in Oladipo. Aaron Holiday can play the PG or SG position, Lamb can play the SG or SF position, Warren can play the SF or PF position.  Resign Vic and flip Myles for a starting stretch 4 PF and backup SF(Warren can play PF for small ball and Lamb can play some SG).  This allows Sabonis to slide to his natural position at Center and Goga is his primary backup(Goga will get better and will be a potential all star one day IMO).  Your depth chart looks something like this post Turner trade which I think would be very solid:

PG - Brogdon/McConnell

SG - Victor/Holiday

SF - Warren/Lamb/2022 1st rd pick

PF - Player trade for Myles/2022 1st rd pick

C - Sabonis/Goga

Edited by dwtaylor1055

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Vic and Pacers started contact negotiations to get a feel for what it'll take to keep Vic.  It'll be hard to keep all four Oladipo($25 mil or max), Brogdon($20 mil per yr), Turner($18 mil per yr) and Sabonis($17 mil per yr) and spread the rest of the money($80 mil given to these four if Victor takes only $25 mi, that only leaves $45 mil for the rest of a team) and have solid depth.  Add in TJ Warren at $12.6 mil, Jeremy Lamb at $10.5 mil, Goga at $3.1 mil, McConnell at $4 mil per yr Aaron Holiday at $4 mil and that brings your total to $110.2 mil, leaving approx. $11 mil left to spend.  That total is for only 9 players.  Seems fine right?  BUT look at a depth chart for only those 9 players:

PG - Brogdon/McConnell

SG - Victor/Holiday

SF - Warren/Lamb

PF - Sabonis

C - Turner/Goga

With $11 mil left to spend, your 1st rd draft pick for the 2022 season will take around $3 mil(picking around low 20s) so now you are left with approx. $8 mil to find a solid backup PF(This will be very hard to find IMO).  The 1st rd draft pick will not make an immediate impact in 2020 IMO.  All of this isn't considering what is happening with COVID-19 and how it'll affect the salary cap in the years to come(Has to lower for the next few years to help offset losses right?). 

I say everything above to say this, IMO you do not let your best player leave for nothing and the likelihood of trading Victor for two future all stars and getting lucky(ala PG-13 trade) is very slim.  You do not let your best player leave in Oladipo. Aaron Holiday can play the PG or SG position, Lamb can play the SG or SF position, Warren can play the SF or PF position.  Resign Vic and flip Myles for a starting stretch 4 PF and backup SF(Warren can play PF for small ball and Lamb can play some SG).  This allows Sabonis to slide to his natural position at Center and Goga is his primary backup(Goga will get better and will be a potential all star one day IMO).  Your depth chart looks something like this post Turner trade which I think would be very solid:

PG - Brogdon/McConnell

SG - Victor/Holiday

SF - Warren/Lamb/2022 1st rd pick

PF - Player trade for Myles/2022 1st rd pick

C - Sabonis/Goga

I think you move Lamb.. save that money. And then you put some money together to sign ES. He can play and guard multiple positions. 

I wonder if the Pacers are worried about a Danny Granger situation. Let’s face it they have had horrible luck with injuries over the years and the way Malcom has missed so much time this year it isn’t looking much better.

that said you sign Vic and figure it out. If the current lineup doesn’t do it then you move Turner or Sabonis or If it does then you go all in on a mid season acquisition for draft picks etc. The life blood of this team will always be the draft...they can’t afford to be deep by doing it through FA. Sure they may get a steal here or there but they need to do a TON better job in the draft. Cheap contracts and control. Stop trading them away and less Leafs and Niangs and more Holidays and Turners.

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

I wonder if the Pacers are worried about a Danny Granger situation. Let’s face it they have had horrible luck with injuries over the years and the way Malcom has missed so much time this year it isn’t looking much better.

that said you sign Vic and figure it out. If the current lineup doesn’t do it then you move Turner or Sabonis or If it does then you go all in on a mid season acquisition for draft picks etc. The life blood of this team will always be the draft...they can’t afford to be deep by doing it through FA. Sure they may get a steal here or there but they need to do a TON better job in the draft. Cheap contracts and control. Stop trading them away and less Leafs and Niangs and more Holidays and Turners.

Agree, life blood is the draft and hitting a home run for the Pacers(aka DG and PG13).  With Brogdon I'd like to see some "rest management" here.  Not a big fan of it, but if he misses half the season every year due to injuries it certainly isn't helping us.  If this current lineup doesn't work, you must move one of Turner and Sabonis.  You have another big(Raw but will be good) in Goga behind them that will be ready come time to play backup C when the time comes to flip one of Turner or Sabonis. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Wasn't it leaked that Sabonis was unhappy and even offended?  Yet signed and is a pacer.  

It was leaked about him being upset in the very beginning, but IMO the pacers will always be Leary about handing out multiple big time contracts(nature of the business for small markets) so they don't set the franchise back should something go wrong. 

Pacers upped their offer and both were happy with it.  If you are going to have a "BIG 3" in indy, IMO you need three different positional players(Brogdon/Victor/Sabonis). 

If Brogdon can stay healthy and that's a big IF then I am fine giving those top three annual contracts between $17 mil and $27 mil.  Now Myles Turner comes into play right at the same amount as Sabonis is making, he's a play away from the basket type of guy in a centers body that can block shots consistently.  In todays game, its critical that a center can shoot the 3pt respectively(35% or so?).  If Sabonis and Myles cannot coexist then one has to go.  Sabonis needs to become faster to guard smaller PFs and Myles needs to be more physical when guarding other centers.    

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

It was leaked about him being upset in the very beginning, but IMO the pacers will always be Leary about handing out multiple big time contracts(nature of the business for small markets) so they don't set the franchise back should something go wrong. 

Pacers upped their offer and both were happy with it.  If you are going to have a "BIG 3" in indy, IMO you need three different positional players(Brogdon/Victor/Sabonis). 

If Brogdon can stay healthy and that's a big IF then I am fine giving those top three annual contracts between $17 mil and $27 mil.  Now Myles Turner comes into play right at the same amount as Sabonis is making, he's a play away from the basket type of guy in a centers body that can block shots consistently.  In todays game, its critical that a center can shoot the 3pt respectively(35% or so?).  If Sabonis and Myles cannot coexist then one has to go.  Sabonis needs to become faster to guard smaller PFs and Myles needs to be more physical when guarding other centers.    

True dat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For those taking a break from being outdoors today....30 for 30 Detroit Pistons special (Bad Boys) is getting ready to show on ABC. 

I wonder with the role Zeke went on to play in the NBA and these specials (Bulls/Pistons etc) if any IU fans perception of Thomas changed. I was too young to really remember him at IU and of course his time here was limited but he was a huge figure in raising banner 4 and I’m sure very beloved during his time here.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wonder with the role Zeke went on to play in the NBA and these specials (Bulls/Pistons etc) if any IU fans perception of Thomas changed. I was too young to really remember him at IU and of course his time here was limited but he was a huge figure in raising banner 4 and I’m sure very beloved during his time here.

The Pistons of the late 80s/early 90s along with the Knicks of the early to mid 90s are two teams that I despise to this day, IT not withstanding...

Loved IT when he was at IU and post playing days, but I'm not a big fan of thuggish basketball, and that Piston team drew up the blueprint for it...

And I'd still like to see someone take that smirk off of Laimbeer's face...

Edited by IUFLA

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Zeke was my first introduction to IU hoops in terms of knowing someone that went there. I was a city kid in Chicago and Zeke was a God....even as a child. Much like Ben was 4 years later. What these shows have reminded me is how darn great Isiah was. Beating not only Bird to get there....but beating  Magic as well. Jordan was an afterthought when he was climbing the ladder. I know Jordan wants to spin things but he had one interview that said it best. If it wasn't for those Pistons teams....they never would have achieved what they did.

To answer any questions. I was born and bred Chicago. Love my Cubs and Bears.....could never cheer for the Bulls because I thought Zeke got hosed and the league wanted to back up Michael.

Jordan is the greatest ever. Never liked one bit of it.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Loved IT the Hoosier hated IT the Piston.  Hated even more that my favorite player Magic was so close to him. After his playing days love IT again

That's the thing with Zeke. So many layers to his fans. His smile should have been on every product coming out of the 80'/90's.

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw a poll that answered the long asked question as who was better MJ or Lebron..  It was in a landslide that MJ is the best of all time and it was like 74% to 26%.

Was the question "who is better between these 2 players" or "which of these 2 players is the best of all time"?

The answer to #1 is certainly MJ...

The answer to #2 is "that's an incomplete list to choose from."

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Was the question "who is better between these 2 players" or "which of these 2 players is the best of all time"?

The answer to #1 is certainly MJ...

The answer to #2 is "that's an incomplete list to choose from."

Who were best between the two of them

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN's all time Pacers team. 

No Paul George.

Do you agree or disagree with this group?

Indiana Pacers

G: Freddie Lewis
G: Reggie Miller
F: Roger Brown
F: George McGinnis
😄 Mel Daniels

Where do you slot PG at on this list?  Guard or Forward?  I am a huge PG fan, however, it would be hard for even myself to slot him in above any of the guys listed above.  Now if we are talking about a 2000's to present Indiana Pacers team, I'd say he'd slot in for a spot