NBA Thread

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Pretty much my feelings about pro sports (and amateur to a lesser extent).  While we love watching our favorite teams/games, the bottom line is that they are playing a game.  A GAME.  Remember when RMK used to make fun of reporters saying we all learned to write in grade school but most of us went on to more important things? Same applies to athletes.  Grossly overpaid (or lavished with attention and praise) due to their ability to play a game - and half of that ability is genetic roulette.  I appreciate their effort and dedication to the game, but much of that effort is for personal gain and improvement which is good, but they aren't Gods or necessarily better people just because of their achievements and abilities.  I enjoy watching (some of them), but I stopped viewing them as hero's a number of years ago.  I don't know if I even have as much as a passing interest in the NBA anymore, perhaps my only interest is in the careers of ex-IU players.  I suspect my feelings about the NFL are soon to be the same.

I'll sum it up in one sentence...

It's hard to take seriously multi-millionaires whining about anything. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'll sum it up in one sentence...

It's hard to take seriously multi-millionaires whining about anything. 

I don’t want to bash them to much because so many have made something or found success with something and being compensated well for it. That’s great!

It also goes to show how great this country can be (imperfect as it is) you can come from nothing and in one generation change the future for your whole family and those to come. Not only that but you don’t even have to be a genius, have the best education, just for being good at something like a dumb sport. Heck talented tradesman, having ingenuity, entrepreneur so many things and none of it has to necessarily matter where you grew up or what education you may have received or what gender, race, creed you are. You can change your circumstances. And if you don’t have that going for you then determination, hard work, sacrifice, and you can invest in your child’s future and can give them an opportunity you didn’t have. This world isn’t fair...to any of us...but at least in America you are afforded opportunities that people in most other countries would die, cheat, lie, and brake laws to get here for ...and I hope those athletes appreciate what they have. Because as bad as it gets and wrongs that happen it’s still the best this imperfect, broken world has to offer. I’m glad many made the best of it and hopefully more are inspired to do the same.

Take this poor in money but rich in love and family kid from the corn fields who has achieved at least so far more than his father or grandfather dreamed of because the life lessons they taught me and the focus they put on me getting a good education but also instilling a passionate work ethic in me at a young age I can give my daughter even more a chance to succeed with more opportunities. It’s a great privileged to live here...and with that a God given responsibility to make the most of it that so many others don’t have...I hope to live up to those expectation he has for me. May they do the same.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

0 positive cases out of like 340ish players yesterday since July 13th I believe is what I saw.

If they stick to the plan and stay in the bubble they should be fine...but it just takes a couple guys stepping outside and exposing the whole bunch and it could spread quickly. Shouldn’t be hard at first but as this moves along I think it will get more difficult...someone will screw it up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

If they stick to the plan and stay in the bubble they should be fine...but it just takes a couple guys stepping outside and exposing the whole bunch and it could spread quickly. Shouldn’t be hard at first but as this moves along I think it will get more difficult...someone will screw it up.

agree 100%.  Zion and Patrick Beverley both are most recent to leave the bubble due to a "family issue".  So far it's going well, fingers crossed it stays this way

• Like 1

Domantas Sabonis has plantar fasciitis, hasn't practiced in last 6 days and appears very unlikely to suit up during any of the Pacers scrimmages.  May not return Aug 1st either, return date in question.  Appears as if Vic will give it a go tonight barring any "injury" concerns from practice yesterday.  Coach continues to speak with high praise at how well Victor looks in practices and has had no limitations. 

• Like 1

Bol Bol played in his first game for the Nuggets, had 16 points, 10 rebounds and 6 blocks in a scrimmage las tonight.  After the game he was scheduled for a random drug screen lol

Bol Bol is 7' 2", 235 lbs.  Kid is SKINNY and I mean SKINNY, like a taller version of Kevin Durant when KD first came into the league.  Interesting prospect here, however, I see him battling injuries throughout his career. 

Trying to watch the scrimmage game between the Pacers and Trailblazers but it is hard getting into this game.  I knew Sabonis is injured but I have not seen Turner in the game so I was wondering why he is not playing.  I saw a picture of Turner put fishing the other day so I figured he was good to go.  Pacers started Johnson and Sampson up front to go with VO, Brogdon and Warren.  Right now the Pacers are not looking to good being down 9 at the end of the first.

Just now, dgambill said:

How does Vic look?

He looked pretty good on his second stint.  It seems like McMillian is playing two separate units so the starters played most of the first quarter and the other unit played the second.  Our bench in the first played a lot better than  the starters but in the 3rd the starters looked good.  Late in the 3rd we brought in the bench and the Trailblazers kept their starters in and the second un it held their own.

• Like 1

Per the Denver Post. The Denver Nuggets were most NBA compromised team due to the pandemic. As a result their game in the bubble against the Wizards had Bol Bol playing forward. Mason Plumlee in center.  And Nlikola Jokic at point guard !

Edited by milehiiu

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He looked pretty good on his second stint.  It seems like McMillian is playing two separate units so the starters played most of the first quarter and the other unit played the second.  Our bench in the first played a lot better than  the starters but in the 3rd the starters looked good.  Late in the 3rd we brought in the bench and the Trailblazers kept their starters in and the second un it held their own.

We do have good depth. This team isn’t offensively anemic like the last Pacer teams that fought Lebron in the ECF...but we also need star power from Vic if we want to be a contender.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We do have good depth. This team isn’t offensively anemic like the last Pacer teams that fought Lebron in the ECF...but we also need star power from Vic if we want to be a contender.

Pacers won by 3 but the last 5 minutes we pretty much had the very end of the bench in.  We had Bowen, Johnson, Long, Sumner and Leaf and Sumner is the only one would see any serious playing time.  To me it is time to pull the plug on Leaf because he could not do anything against the Trailblazers subs.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers won by 3 but the last 5 minutes we pretty much had the very end of the bench in.  We had Bowen, Johnson, Long, Sumner and Leaf and Sumner is the only one would see any serious playing time.  To me it is time to pull the plug on Leaf because he could not do anything against the Trailblazers subs.

I think we tried to trade him for a club sandwich but nobody would bite! Honestly I read some write ups but his salary makes him basically untradable. 

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we tried to trade him for a club sandwich but nobody would bite! Honestly I read some write ups but his salary makes him basically untradable. 

To me he is a poster child for staying in school and not jump right into the NBA.  if he would have stayed a few more years and got better physically and mentally he would have came in with more confidence in himself.

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me he is a poster child for staying in school and not jump right into the NBA.  if he would have stayed a few more years and got better physically and mentally he would have came in with more confidence in himself.

Uh no....he would never have gotten drafted....or at least not in the first rd. At least he got paid. He has had summer league, g league stints, limited game time the kid is just over matched out there. He made the most of his one shot. Likely spend the rest of his career overseas still making good money but at least he got that guaranteed money. Just my accessment of him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Uh no....he would never have gotten drafted....or at least not in the first rd. At least he got paid. He has had summer league, g league stints, limited game time the kid is just over matched out there. He made the most of his one shot. Likely spend the rest of his career overseas still making good money but at least he got that guaranteed money. Just my accessment of him.

I guess we will just disagree on this topic because everyone already knows my viewpoint on this topic.  It is about what you want is it just getting paid or is it waiting until you can compete.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we will just disagree on this topic because everyone already knows my viewpoint on this topic.  It is about what you want is it just getting paid or is it waiting until you can compete.

My argument is he was never going to compete at the NBA level. No amount of college would change that. It still ticks me off to this day we passed up on OG to take this guy. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

10 more years of college basketball and he still would not be able to compete. 

• Like 2