NBA Thread

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You realize he hit the most clutch game winners in the nba last season, right? Oh never mind you’re on a roll lol 

My memory is really bad was the shot that Leonard hit against the 76er'sa 2 or 3. Either way that was the biggest shot of the year.

I think you might just be Robins agent. All in good fun. Once again PG is a very very good player and the argument that I put out is the one I defended  for years when he was a Pacer. 

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The NBA has always been like that because the stars always has gotten the calls.  As a Pacers fan I have witness it to many time over the years when playing against teams like Celtics, Bulls or Knicks over the years.

We’ll if he wasn’t already, Giannis is officially at the LeBron level in terms of his treatment from the refs. The Celtics lost lost because Tatum had an awful game (2 for 18, and one of those makes was the Bucks tipping a rebound back in and Tatum got credit because he was the closest Celtic).

Giannis literally got called for his 6th foul twice in the last two minutes of a one possession game and both times the refs overturned it. Once because they chose to review it on their own and once because the Bucks challenged. He of course got tons of other calls the rest of the game. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We’ll if he wasn’t already, Giannis is officially at the LeBron level in terms of his treatment from the refs. The Celtics lost lost because Tatum had an awful game (2 for 18, and one of those makes was the Bucks tipping a rebound back in and Tatum got credit because he was the closest Celtic).

Giannis literally got called for his 6th foul twice in the last two minutes of a one possession game and both times the refs overturned it. Once because they chose to review it on their own and once because the Bucks challenged. He of course got tons of other calls the rest of the game. 

Yep. It takes away from the game. I’m not sure where it comes from, it’s not like there’s some nefarious ref conspiracy to keep players like LBJ, Harden (who imo gets even more BS calls / non-calls than LBJ), and Greek Freak in the game but it happens a lot. I suppose it’s ref deference to superstars, though it happens more blatantly and frequently with a select few 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure what it is...but the past couple months I’ve not missed the NBA or MLB at all...not sure I’ll ever go back to watching it. I’m feeling really similar about the NFL too this coming year. Just can’t really work up a give a damn. College sports on the other hand really missing. Not sure what it is about the amateurism but these professionals and the owners etc just have all turned me off of wanting anything to do with any of them. 

I will watch the Pacers game tonight but haven't watch  more than 5 minutes of any of the other NBA games so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think since you are a Celtic fan you probably are not use to being on the other end of this treatment.  For years the Celtics and Lakers players were given this treatment so maybe it is time for the Celtics to be on the other end.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yep. It takes away from the game. I’m not sure where it comes from, it’s not like there’s some nefarious ref conspiracy to keep players like LBJ, Harden (who imo gets even more BS calls / non-calls than LBJ), and Greek Freak in the game but it happens a lot. I suppose it’s ref deference to superstars, though it happens more blatantly and frequently with a select few 

What have never understood is that refs watch a TON of film of their games. From my days in the NBA, I believe they’re required to watch the game they just reffed and file a report prior to their next game, and we’re all told by the league that the refs watch a ton of film. 

So, how could veteran referee officiate say 20+ James Harden games over a 5-10 year period, watch the film of each of those games, watch additional film as part of their training, and not know or recognize that James Harden flops, baits defenders and purposefully snaps his head back to baits refs into calls. How can they not see that he constantly does that? They continue to give him all the calls. 

Just using Harden as an example, the same goes for LeBron, Giannis, etc. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think since you are a Celtic fan you probably are not use to being on the other end of this treatment.  For years the Celtics and Lakers players were given this treatment so maybe it is time for the Celtics to be on the other end.

I’m old to enough to have watched the Celtics-Lakers in the mid-to-late 80’, but probably wasn’t old enough to recognize the officiating as blatantly biased, so my frustration with this begins with Jordan. 

It really comes down to stars get calls. In the 80’s the Celtics and Lakers had the main stars. In the 90’s Jordan got the treatment,etc. Now LeBron, Harden, Giannis, etc. get the calls. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m old to enough to have watched the Celtics-Lakers in the mid-to-late 80’, but probably wasn’t old enough to recognize the officiating as blatantly biased, so my frustration with this begins with Jordan. 

It really comes down to stars get calls. In the 80’s the Celtics and Lakers had the main stars. In the 90’s Jordan got the treatment,etc. Now LeBron, Harden, Giannis, etc. get the calls. 

Watched the NBA starting in the early to mid 60s. The "protection" of stars and certain players getting calls originated, at least to me, with Michael Jordan and the Detroit "Bad Boys." 

Up until then, you might get a home call or 2, but it was pretty evenly called for the most part.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Watched the NBA starting in the early to mid 60s. The "protection" of stars and certain players getting calls originated, at least to me, with Michael Jordan and the Detroit "Bad Boys." 

Up until then, you might get a home call or 2, but it was pretty evenly called for the most part.

Agree. Magic and Bird and Kareem were not protected 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It makes sense from a business standpoint — Jordan was the worldwide face of the NBA - I want to be Like Mike - and at a time when the League was focused on cleaning itself up, from the drugs and the fights. 
And Jordan was actually kind of a dirty player, with that elbow push-off jab to get separation for his jumper. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I never noticed it...And I was pretty impartial when I watched either play...I've always been a Pacer fan, so Lakers/Celtics or whoever each was playing mattered not...

I have always been a Pacers fan but I liked MJ so I watch the Lakers as well.  The stars has always got the star treatment from the refs

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It makes sense from a business standpoint — Jordan was the worldwide face of the NBA - I want to be Like Mike - and at a time when the League was focused on cleaning itself up, from the drugs and the fights. 
And Jordan was actually kind of a dirty player, with that elbow push-off jab to get separation for his jumper. 

Yeah it made sense...especially because he played off the floor so much. It was dangerous....but exciting for fans. But he had to be physical because the defense was grabbing, holding, hand checking back then. But eventually it led to not just him but every star getting the benefit.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess  my viewpoint comes from being a Pacer fan from a small market because I have seen these things from the time I can remember.

Small market teams may have been screwed but I don't think the stars of the 80's got all the love from the refs like MJ and moving forward.  I can see now where you come from and growing up Lakers fan you might be right

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Small market teams may have been screwed but I don't think the stars of the 80's got all the love from the refs like MJ and moving forward.  I can see now where you come from and growing up Lakers fan you might be right

Kareem could take 3 steps to get into his sky hook but was never called for it.  Also Magic would carry the ball all the time yet it was not called.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Kareem could take 3 steps to get into his sky hook but was never called for it.  Also Magic would carry the ball all the time yet it was not called.

Good Lord Scott, everybody in NBA history got away with travelling and palming...I remember watching the 1969 NBA Final between the Celtics and Lakers with my old man and his friends. They griped about that all the time.

I'm talking about getting bailed out by calls when you go to the hoop or other mysterious foul calls that always seemed to benefit certain players (with the initials MJ)...

• Like 1