NBA Thread

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The Nurse thing is tough - I'm definitely not a fan of what he did, but what rule did he break? I'm not sure how you can punish him. 

I don't know if he broke a rule, it's such a weird thing to do it's probably not in a rule. That's like writing a rule not to put on an opposing team's jersey, lol.

16 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't know if he broke a rule, it's such a weird thing to do it's probably not in a rule. That's like writing a rule not to put on an opposing team's jersey, lol.

But that's kind of the thing, short of him breaking a rule I'm not sure how you punish him unless he came out and said he did that on purpose. It isn't like he is the first coach to drift all the way down to the baseline or the first coach to crouch over while coaching. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But that's kind of the thing, short of him breaking a rule I'm not sure how you punish him unless he came out and said he did that on purpose. It isn't like he is the first coach to drift all the way down to the baseline or the first coach to crouch over while coaching. 

Yeah difficult to address, but it was obvious. He knew exactly what he was doing. In my book, and I think in most people’s, that was way out of line for a coach and a form of cheating. 
What happened to sportsmanship? If you value winning over everything else, that’s the kind of BS you get. 
Solution? Not sure, but there’s a wa to limit what a coach does on the sideline and this should be addressed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably wouldn't hurt to get at least one quality big guy.  Still wouldn't mind a Hayward for Turner trade

I don’t know. I’m not a huge Turner guy and I think Robert Williams is developing into a poor man’s version, if not eventually just as good, albeit different player. 

The Celtics have 3 first round picks and need to package them and whatever else for some veteran depth. 

I know a lot of you on here likes the NBA game and the playoffs been pretty good.  Saying that the offense that is ran in most of the NBA is just hard for me to watch and enjoy it.  What I don't like is that it seems to be trickling down to college and high school.  I just can't stand watching most of the possessions ending with one guy with ball at the top and trying to go one on one.  This last quarter the Celtics had done this and most have been forced shots at the end of the shot clock.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah difficult to address, but it was obvious. He knew exactly what he was doing. In my book, and I think in most people’s, that was way out of line for a coach and a form of cheating. 
What happened to sportsmanship? If you value winning over everything else, that’s the kind of BS you get. 
Solution? Not sure, but there’s a wa to limit what a coach does on the sideline and this should be addressed. 

Oh I agree with you. I'm not defending Nurse at all, I thought it was a scummy move. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

What a great game. As great as Tatum was, Marcus Smart was player of the game in my mind. So many great efforts from both sides, lot of fun watching that series. 

Celts and Heat should be equally entertaining. 

Tatum played like the developing star that he is, but agree Marcus Smart is the heart and soul of the Celtics. 

I said when the playoffs started that I was glad the Celtics were getting the Raptors in the 2nd round and were avoiding the Heat. I was pretty surprised a some Pacers fans here said they expected the Pacers to beat the Heat. 

The Heat are legit. They’re really good and really well coached. In my opinion the Heat should be favored, especially without Hayward for the Celtics, or at least a limited Hayward. 

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Tatum played like the developing star that he is, but agree Marcus Smart is the heart and soul of the Celtics. 

I said when the playoffs started that I was glad the Celtics were getting the Raptors in the 2nd round and were avoiding the Heat. I was pretty surprised a some Pacers fans here said they expected the Pacers to beat the Heat. 

The Heat are legit. They’re really good and really well coached. In my opinion the Heat should be favored, especially without Hayward for the Celtics, or at least a limited Hayward. 

Boston’s going to have to bring their A-game defense. I don’t know who will be favored but this is going to be a hard series for sure.  Boston’s D though is tougher than what the Heat have faced, and It’s the best team Miami will have dealt with - the P’s were nowhere near full strength and man the Bucks team got exposed, I thought going in the Bucks would prevail, based on the reg season, but they were a lot thinner around Giannis than I realized. All that said, the Heat are definitely legit - I think the C’s are deeper and will pull it out, but the C’s bench has struggled and it’s probably going to be another 7-game series 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Boston’s going to have to bring their A-game defense. I don’t know who will be favored but this is going to be a hard series for sure.  Boston’s D though is tougher than what the Heat have faced, and It’s the best team Miami will have dealt with - the P’s were nowhere near full strength and man the Bucks team got exposed, I thought going in the Bucks would prevail, based on the reg season, but they were a lot thinner around Giannis than I realized. All that said, the Heat are definitely legit - I think the C’s are deeper and will pull it out, but the C’s bench has struggled and it’s probably going to be another 7-game series 

I think the Celtics need a healthy Hayward. With Hayward, the Celtics lack of depth isn’t as much of an issue, but without him they’re paper thin. 

I think it’s going to come down to 3pt shooting. Celtics are top 2-3 in 3pt shooting defense and Miami I believe was 2nd in the NBA in 3pt shooting. 

Hayward being back gives the Celtics another quality, athletic somewhat long wing defender to run guys like Robinson, Herro, Crowder, Igoudala, etc. off the 3pt line. 

Am I the only one who thinks Nurse really screwed up challenging the sixth foul on Lowry? It was such an obvious foul and he wasted a timeout on it. 

Had he not done that, he could have used a timeout and gotten something better than Fred Van Vleet dribbling 20 seconds off the clock and hoisting a terrible three. Could have easily gone 2 for 1 or a quick two and a foul. Raptors last 34 seconds were so bad, which is funny because they'd been so good in crunch time of the close games all series. 

EDIT: and the Celt's certainly made some GREAT plays in the closing seconds. 

Edited by KoB2011

36 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Nurse really screwed up challenging the sixth foul on Lowry? It was such an obvious foul and he wasted a timeout on it. 

Had he not done that, he could have used a timeout and gotten something better than Fred Van Vleet dribbling 20 seconds off the clock and hoisting a terrible three. Could have easily gone 2 for 1 or a quick two and a foul. Raptors last 34 seconds were so bad, which is funny because they'd been so good in crunch time of the close games all series. 

EDIT: and the Celt's certainly made some GREAT plays in the closing seconds. 

It was dumb in the sense that there was zero chance of winning it, but even a 1% chance shows how important Lowery is to them. 

I don’t think it really had an impact though, because you have plenty of time to huddle and draw something up while the play was being reviewed. 

With Lowery out, their play was probably to get Van Vleet in a favorable matchup and have him try and create something. 

15 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know. I’m not a huge Turner guy and I think Robert Williams is developing into a poor man’s version, if not eventually just as good, albeit different player. 

The Celtics have 3 first round picks and need to package them and whatever else for some veteran depth. 

Problem with veterans is they cost money. They need guys like Williams and Langford to take a step up. Also more consistency from their young stars. Without Heyward in the rotation obviously that hurts them.

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Probably wouldn't hurt to get at least one quality big guy.  Still wouldn't mind a Hayward for Turner trade

Wouldn’t mind it. The salary for Hayward could be a problem though. The Pacers are going to be open for business in trades this offseason since they don’t have any cap space. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Problem with veterans is they cost money. They need guys like Williams and Langford to take a step up. Also more consistency from their young stars. Without Heyward in the rotation obviously that hurts them.

They could package a couple first round picks with a couple of their young guys for a veteran, then sign a couple solid veterans that are ring chasing for the veteran minimum. They didn't really have cap space in '08 either but we're able to go out and add guys like James Posey, Sam Cassell and PJ Brown. 

They could use their mid level exception for a pricer vet, then do the package mentioned above for another vet and then finally sign a ring chasing vet for the minimum and then all of the sudden they're deep and experienced. 

Hopefully you wouldn't have to give up Grant Williams and Langford to do it, which I think they could figure it out while keeping those guys, but again if you're a title contender, as much as I'd like to keep those guys, you do what you have to do to keep your core and add guys that can get you over the hump. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think the Celtics need a healthy Hayward. With Hayward, the Celtics lack of depth isn’t as much of an issue, but without him they’re paper thin. 

I think it’s going to come down to 3pt shooting. Celtics are top 2-3 in 3pt shooting defense and Miami I believe was 2nd in the NBA in 3pt shooting. 

Hayward being back gives the Celtics another quality, athletic somewhat long wing defender to run guys like Robinson, Herro, Crowder, Igoudala, etc. off the 3pt line. 

Miami was 3d in 3P% in regular season, definitely a good outside shooting team. How that Boston D stacks up is going to be key imo

• Like 1

Nice gentleman's sweep for the Lakers. It will be interesting to see if they stick with the rotation they've played in the Rockets series or go back to McGee and Howard with more size from their next opponent. Its not like they don't have enough size as is with AD, Morris and LBJ getting a lot of minutes.