NBA Thread

7 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

J. Michael of the Indy Star was told the reason for this hire was:

Due to " Adaptability".  

That means to me that they don’t know which way they will go with this team (roster) and will be open to trades and want a coach that can adapt to whatever lineup we end up with. I expect some change this offseason.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That means to me that they don’t know which way they will go with this team (roster) and will be open to trades and want a coach that can adapt to whatever lineup we end up with. I expect some change this offseason.

I would assume it means he will be able to play big if they can't trade Turner

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If Vic was not happy in the locker room before I don’t see how this smooths things over. Not sure his trade value is where the Pacers would need it to get the value back they need but I get the same feeling with Vic as I did with Paul...just a matter of time.

Why would he be unhappy with this hire.  I agree this is PG part 2 and won't end well.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Why would he be unhappy with this hire.  I agree this is PG part 2 and won't end well.

I have a hard time believing this new first time coach/non ex player is going to carry the respect from a player who I think has his head somewhere else. Beyond this team. Which to me probably signals said player is likely to be moved. I’m not saying Vic is a trouble maker but I do think he does not have his heart in the team and with him wanting a max contract will cause ripples if he is asked to assume a lesser role then he sees for himself. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I have a hard time believing this new first time coach/non ex player is going to carry the respect from a player who I think has his head somewhere else. Beyond this team. Which to me probably signals said player is likely to be moved. I’m not saying Vic is a trouble maker but I do think he does not have his heart in the team and with him wanting a max contract will cause ripples if he is asked to assume a lesser role then he sees for himself. 

Nick Nurse was a first time head coach and a non player

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nick Nurse was a first time head coach and a non player

He also had probably one of the best GMs in the league and an incredible roster. Not to mention lucking into Kawhi. Remember this was the same team that was getting rolled over by the Cavs until Lebron left. Then in the finals got to face a shell of the reigning champs. Nurse is a good coach but to me his success doesn’t mean anything when it comes to Bjorn. Especially when I think we have issues with chemistry as we are currently constructed. I’d be shocked if we roll out next year with a roster that doesn’t have at least a few new faces. Changes are a coming.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He also had probably one of the best GMs in the league and an incredible roster. Not to mention lucking into Kawhi. Remember this was the same team that was getting rolled over by the Cavs until Lebron left. Then in the finals got to face a shell of the reigning champs. Nurse is a good coach but to me his success doesn’t mean anything when it comes to Bjorn. Especially when I think we have issues with chemistry as we are currently constructed. I’d be shocked if we roll out next year with a roster that doesn’t have at least a few new faces. Changes are a coming.

I hope there are some new faces

18 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You do realize MDA ran a completely different offense in Houston than he did in Phoenix? 

It doesn't matter now but yes I do. I also have heard people that cover the Rockets talk about how parts of it are the same or similar but things changed because of Harden. 

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well players around the league tend to think highly of him as a coach. He's a players coach that's good with player development and putting teams in a position to win. As for Vic I don't think they really care what he thinks that much at this point. 

• Like 1

So far Nate is saying the right things in his welcome conference this morning.  Main highlights are:

- Offensive style will be disruptive, lots of movement.  Different guys handling the ball.  

- Pritchard receiving lots of texts and calls about this being a great hire

- No set rotation, each game dictates a rotation.  Won't be afraid to enter "said" player into any game.  Wants each player to believe he can enter any game

- Believes talent and IQ of the team is very good

- The two bigs are very dynamic, compliment each other very well.  Feels very comfortable having two bigs

- On Oladipo;  He texted me(coach) immediately after I was hired and I called him.   It was very welcoming, we had a great talk, I like Vics energy, our energy fed off of each other.  

Note from Pritchard on Vic:

- Vic and I(Pritchard) have a great relationship, Vic feels good about the team.  He's talked to me about how he thinks this team can be very good.  You hear alot of things, but until it comes to me I don't really worry about what is being talked about.  He(Pritchard) pointed out Vic still has 1 year left on his deal

-Pritchard had a team zoom call yesterday and said Vic spoke up and was positive as he has ever seen Vic.  

- Vic is full out cleared health wise.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So far Nate is saying the right things in his welcome conference this morning.  Main highlights are:

- Offensive style will be disruptive, lots of movement.  Different guys handling the ball.  

- Pritchard receiving lots of texts and calls about this being a great hire

- No set rotation, each game dictates a rotation.  Won't be afraid to enter "said" player into any game.  Wants each player to believe he can enter any game

- Believes talent and IQ of the team is very good

- The two bigs are very dynamic, compliment each other very well.  Feels very comfortable having two bigs

- On Oladipo;  He texted me(coach) immediately after I was hired and I called him.   It was very welcoming, we had a great talk, I like Vics energy, our energy fed off of each other.  

Note from Pritchard on Vic:

- Vic and I(Pritchard) have a great relationship, Vic feels good about the team.  He's talked to me about how he thinks this team can be very good.  You hear alot of things, but until it comes to me I don't really worry about what is being talked about.  He(Pritchard) pointed out Vic still has 1 year left on his deal

-Pritchard had a team zoom call yesterday and said Vic spoke up and was positive as he has ever seen Vic.  

- Vic is full out cleared health wise.  

I have been in the trade Vic side of the isle for a while but I am curious to see how the offseason unfolds. If Vic and Turner are kept then I will understand why but it will be interesting to see if there are any moves to improve the roster with the limited cap space and no first round pick. If they run it back then this is what we as fans will be looking at. 

Brogdon, Oladipo, Warren, Turner, Sabonis, A Holiday, McDermott, Lamb, Bitadze, McConnell, Sumner, and Leaf. J Holiday, Johnson, Sampson, Bowen, and Mitrou-Long will need new deals if they are brought back. 

So I'm very curious to see what moves are made and how new Nate can make the best use of this roster. 

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I have been in the trade Vic side of the isle for a while but I am curious to see how the offseason unfolds. If Vic and Turner are kept then I will understand why but it will be interesting to see if there are any moves to improve the roster with the limited cap space and no first round pick. If they run it back then this is what we as fans will be looking at. 

Brogdon, Oladipo, Warren, Turner, Sabonis, A Holiday, McDermott, Lamb, Bitadze, McConnell, Sumner, and Leaf. J Holiday, Johnson, Sampson, Bowen, and Mitrou-Long will need new deals if they are brought back. 

So I'm very curious to see what moves are made and how new Nate can make the best use of this roster. 

I too an interested in how it all unfolds...especially Bjorn Kervorkian's coaching ability.

• Haha 1

Just now, rico said:

I too an interested in how it all unfolds...especially Bjorn Kervorkian's coaching ability.

Nice spelling! lol  If he can develop Aaron Holiday a little more and develop Goga I think this team can be top 4 and win more than 1 series in the playoffs.  He's big into player development, an area that the former Nate struggled at mightily.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Well players around the league tend to think highly of him as a coach. He's a players coach that's good with player development and putting teams in a position to win. As for Vic I don't think they really care what he thinks that much at this point. 

Hope it works out. I really do. My faith in the Pacers though is pretty low though. No doubt in my mind we see banner #6 at IU before we even make it back to the finals with the Pacers imo.

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Stan Van Gundy hired as Pelicans coach. Seems like a terrible hire IMO

I would have thought they would go with a young coach since they have a lot of young players.  Hasn't he been out of coaching for like 13 years and wonder why he wants to get back into coaching.  To me being a TV announcer would be a better job and a lot less stress.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I would have thought they would go with a young coach since they have a lot of young players.  Hasn't he been out of coaching for like 13 years and wonder why he wants to get back into coaching.  To me being a TV announcer would be a better job and a lot less stress.

My bad I thought is was other Van Gundy

16 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Was this before he became famous in Port industry as Ron Jeremy's. A friend told me they look alike. Wink wink