NBA Thread

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This is the thing with trade speculation, it’s always so one sided by fans, it’s driven by what the fans of a team want without really looking at what the other team would demand (realistically). No way the Warriors di that, they’re far from stupid. Now if we were talking a front office like Sacto, well, different conversation lol 

Yeah, most fans (myself included) overrate their favorite teams talent. There is no way GS is trading the #2 pick for Myles Turner. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, most fans (myself included) overrate their favorite teams talent. There is no way GS is trading the #2 pick for Myles Turner. 

Not saying Turner is great but to me he is better than anyone in this draft.  He is still young enough and will be under contract so it wouldn't be like a rental.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Well he’d be an assistant that has NBA ties and doesn’t have to recruit players. 

Sorry I didn’t know his past as a coach other than Wake Forest which wasn’t very encouraging. Obviously know of his playing days but wonder if he had a reputation for well anything as a coach. Development, offensive mind, defensive....or just an another ex player riding on his name and playing days.

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Not saying Turner is great but to me he is better than anyone in this draft.  He is still young enough and will be under contract so it wouldn't be like a rental.

Indeed. GS doesn’t have 3-4 years to wait to develop a player if they want to win in this window for Steph, Klay, and Draymond. Now they probably can get a better player on the market but I’m not sure anyone in the draft is ready to contribute as a starter and in the playoffs.

7 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Apparently the Bucks and Pacers have had some talks centered around Vic. I would think that would possibly need to be a 3 team deal to make salaries work. 

Not sure what Pacers can get without gutting the Bucks core that they are trying to sell Gianis on. Also it’s a fellow conference team. Just don’t see them having the capital to make the deal. I look at a team like Dallas or a team like Minnesota that wants to make a big leap.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Pacers would have to throw a lot more into the deal in that scenario. 

No Pacers wouldn’t. The Warriors want to get rid of that contract and will give up the #2 pick to do that. He’s overpaid and they know it. 

Edited by DC2345

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So not being hired on his track record...just good ol nepotism...nice!

He’s known for being a great mentor and talent developer. Players seem to like him. That’s what you need in assistant coaches. Plus I’d assume he’d work with the post players. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

This. The Warriors aren’t stupid, good grief. 

I don't think they're stupid, but I think we need to consider this is probably the most unique situation imaginable for a team with the number two pick. I can't remember the last time a team with the number two pick was in a position to compete for a championship. 

The Warriors are a quality center away from having a dynamic starting five, and if it looks like Wiseman is going number one the best thing the Warriors can do to try to win multiple titles is deal for a center that fits their needs. Could a team offer someone better than Myles Turner? Of course. But will they? Who knows. 

Draymond, Klay, and Steph are all on the wrong side of 30. Do you think those guys would rather add a rookie with a lot of upside or a guy who can defend the rim, hit the three and get up and down the floor?

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think they're stupid, but I think we need to consider this is probably the most unique situation imaginable for a team with the number two pick. I can't remember the last time a team with the number two pick was in a position to compete for a championship. 

The Warriors are a quality center away from having a dynamic starting five, and if it looks like Wiseman is going number one the best thing the Warriors can do to try to win multiple titles is deal for a center that fits their needs. Could a team offer someone better than Myles Turner? Of course. But will they? Who knows. 

Draymond, Klay, and Steph are all on the wrong side of 30. Do you think those guys would rather add a rookie with a lot of upside or a guy who can defend the rim, hit the three and get up and down the floor?

In all seriousness this is Pacers fantasy land. There are multiple players GS would take before Turner. Pacers fans want to see Turner traded. So now it makes sense — to Pacers fans, and Pacers fans only, that GS would do this deal 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In all seriousness this is Pacers fantasy land. There are multiple players GS would take before Turner. Pacers fans want to see Turner traded. So now it makes sense — to Pacers fans, and Pacers fans only, that GS would do this deal 

It isn't. Just search Myles Turner Warriors and you'll see lots of hits that aren't from Pacers sites. 

But in all seriousnes, while there may be many players that the Warriors would prefer to Myles, who of those guys are they getting? They need a guy who can protect the rim and keep their spacing; who they getting better than Myles?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not saying the trade will go down but it is just not from Pacers fans I have seen this trade mentioned.

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I know they weren't as serious of a contender as the Warriors, or at least didn't have the past track record, but just 3-4 years ago the Celtics had the #1 pick coming off an appearance in the ECF. 

Not apples-to-apples, but still they had the #1 record in the East that year. 

The #2 pick in the draft, even if its a weaker draft, is not getting traded for a solid piece. The Warriors will either keep the pick to hedge bets for quicker transition out of this Era, or they'll swing for the fences to acquire another all-star. 

Myles Turner doesn't get it done. Maybe you go Turner and Vic in a larger package, but I still don't really see that happening. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know they weren't as serious of a contender as the Warriors, or at least didn't have the past track record, but just 3-4 years ago the Celtics had the #1 pick coming off an appearance in the ECF. 

Not apples-to-apples, but still they had the #1 record in the East that year. 

The #2 pick in the draft, even if its a weaker draft, is not getting traded for a solid piece. The Warriors will either keep the pick to hedge bets for quicker transition out of this Era, or they'll swing for the fences to acquire another all-star. 

Myles Turner doesn't get it done. Maybe you go Turner and Vic in a larger package, but I still don't really see that happening. 

Wiseman could be sitting there at #2, right?

57 minutes ago, rico said:

Wiseman could be sitting there at #2, right?

He could be and probably will be. The Warriors are also throwing out signals, could be real or could be to fire up interest in the pick, that they were "blown away" by one of the foreign prospects in the draft.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the Warriors aren’t looking to just unload the #2 pick in a contract dump. Never happening. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This. The Warriors aren’t stupid, good grief. 

Well actually there is real talk that they would consider it. They obviously would be wanting to get a player back that they feel fills a need. There is real chatter though that they are considering trading the pick with the Wiggins contract.