NBA Thread

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

No it’s not. Good grief. You honestly buy this BS? Really? Then you don’t follow GS trades and picks at all. You should stop lol 

Yes, it's absurd to think either of you knows more than an NBA scout about how things work in today's NBA. ABSURD. 

A

B

S

U

R

D

I'm not sure what BS I am buying. An NBA scout said Turner would be a perfect fit with the Warriors, are you saying that didn't happen?

Then when I look at the fit, which is all the scout did, it makes sense. They need a 5 who can protect the rim, run the floor, and keep spcaing. Can Turner do all of that? Yes. Is he the only guy who can? No, but he is the only guy who can that we think is available. 

Then I look at the Warriors assets, what do they have? I don't see much aside from All-Stars and scrubs, neither of which is being moved alone for Turner. So what does it leave you? The pick. There is only one guy in the draft they may want and there are rumors that Charlotte will jump them to get him. If that happens, does it make sense I'm this one scenario to trade a high pick for a 24 year old who is seemingly a great roster fit with your collection of veteran All Stars? That's for them to answer, but lets not ask like acquiring Myles Turner wouldn't give them a better chance to win a title in the next few years with this core than any rookie they could take with the possible exception of Wiseman. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Ok my try at the ol trade machine.

Boston-Myles, Holiday

Atl-Hayward, Leaf

Ind-6th pick Atl, 14th pick Bos, Romeo

Minn-Vic

Ind-#1 pick

We likely wouldn’t completely bottom out....have cap space to pick up some help and maybe make a 7-8 seed but could rebuild for the future.

I hate this draft but it is what it is. Rumors are Charlotte wants to move up to 1 for Wiseman. I’d go for that. Can we turn that into a future first rd pick? I think so. Did I say I hate this draft? Ok

So here is our three picks.

#3 Killian Hayes PG

#6 Obi Toppen PF/C

#14 Isaac Okoro SF/PF

I know I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but I went to the trade machines and couldn't figure out how to trade draft picks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Would anyone care to share links or Twitter guys they follow to get insider information?  

I see these recommended trade articles that come up on my feed and they are so far fetched.  I'd like to read and follow more but who?

I saw someone on YouTube the other day had a 3 team trade that would have gotten the pacers the 1st and 2nd pick in the draft.  I think most of the guys you see are bloggers who run trades through the trade machine and don't lisen to them.  The ones I pay attention to are actual insiders of the NBA and do this for a living.  I have seen some of them suggest GS trading the pick for Turner or trading Turner for Hayward.

• Like 1

This will be my last post on Turner to the Warriors unless it happens, just to clarify my position. 

This is something that clearly is worth considering, I'd you believe some Warriors beat guys and an NBA scout. The rationale is simple; Turner fits their needs and can help them win a title(s). They still have another high draft pick this year, plus the Minnesota pick next year. 

Is this likely to be an even swap of the pick for Turner? Literally can't happen because of money, he makes just more than their trade exception. Is it possible the teams could work it out without a third team? Sure, but doesn't seem likely. 

Are there three team scenarios that could work? Absolutely! I've seen a few mentioned that involve other Pacers like Warren or Oladipo. 

To say the Warriors won't be willing to make a move to help win more in the next 3-5 years seems counter intuitive to the Warriors to me. Everything they've shown us is they're willing to make big moves to try to win with this core of Steph, Klay, and Dray. Multiple times in multiple seasons we've seen them do what they can to surround that core with what they need to win, future be damned. Why do we think it would be different now?

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, it's absurd to think either of you knows more than an NBA scout about how things work in today's NBA. ABSURD. 

A

B

S

U

R

D

I'm not sure what BS I am buying. An NBA scout said Turner would be a perfect fit with the Warriors, are you saying that didn't happen?

Then when I look at the fit, which is all the scout did, it makes sense. They need a 5 who can protect the rim, run the floor, and keep spcaing. Can Turner do all of that? Yes. Is he the only guy who can? No, but he is the only guy who can that we think is available. 

Then I look at the Warriors assets, what do they have? I don't see much aside from All-Stars and scrubs, neither of which is being moved alone for Turner. So what does it leave you? The pick. There is only one guy in the draft they may want and there are rumors that Charlotte will jump them to get him. If that happens, does it make sense I'm this one scenario to trade a high pick for a 24 year old who is seemingly a great roster fit with your collection of veteran All Stars? That's for them to answer, but lets not ask like acquiring Myles Turner wouldn't give them a better chance to win a title in the next few years with this core than any rookie they could take with the possible exception of Wiseman. 

I never once said I know more than an NBA scout. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This will be my last post on Turner to the Warriors unless it happens, just to clarify my position. 

This is something that clearly is worth considering, I'd you believe some Warriors beat guys and an NBA scout. The rationale is simple; Turner fits their needs and can help them win a title(s). They still have another high draft pick this year, plus the Minnesota pick next year. 

Is this likely to be an even swap of the pick for Turner? Literally can't happen because of money, he makes just more than their trade exception. Is it possible the teams could work it out without a third team? Sure, but doesn't seem likely. 

Are there three team scenarios that could work? Absolutely! I've seen a few mentioned that involve other Pacers like Warren or Oladipo. 

To say the Warriors won't be willing to make a move to help win more in the next 3-5 years seems counter intuitive to the Warriors to me. Everything they've shown us is they're willing to make big moves to try to win with this core of Steph, Klay, and Dray. Multiple times in multiple seasons we've seen them do what they can to surround that core with what they need to win, future be damned. Why do we think it would be different now?

We were talking about the proposed trade without Vic etc - that would make the trade much more likely 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I also never said Myles Turner isn't a fit for the Warriors. He'd of course be a good fit for them. I've said they're not trading the #2 pick for Turner unless the Pacers sweeten the pot considerably. 

Also never said the Warriors aren't going to make a move. I was just pushing back on Pacers fans thinking they'll trade the #2 pick for a deal centered on Myles Turner and with the Warriors having to throw more picks in. 

The Warriors are looking to acquire an all-star caliber player with this pick. 

Edited by BGleas

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I also never said Myles Turner isn't a fit for the Warriors. He'd of course be a good fit for them. I've said they're not trading the #2 pick for Turner unless the Pacers sweeten the pot considerably. 

Also never said the Warriors aren't going to make a move. I was just pushing back on Pacers fans thinking they'll trade the #2 pick for a deal centered on Myles Turner and with the Warriors having to throw more picks in. 

The Warriors are looking to acquire an all-star caliber player with this pick. 

To get big time plaers the Warriors will have to really sweeten the pot because the #2 pick in this draft is not worth as much as usual.  I know you don't agree on that but how can it not be less of a value when there are no clear cut players for top picks this year.  That would be like saying the #1 pick in 2013 with Bennet being the pick being the same value as when Tim Duncan was the #1 pick.

37 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but I went to the trade machines and couldn't figure out how to trade draft picks.

Sorry! Yeah it doesn’t work with picks. Which essentially have no cap value. What makes this deal works is Atlanta and Minnesota have cap space and Boston and Indiana are getting relief plus value.

Both Atlanta and Minnesota have their picks for sale because they want to make the playoffs. Very desperate to win now. One wants to attract big name free agents in 21 (Atl) the other has to get relevance and keep their young star (KAT) happy. Boston gets maybe a missing piece and Indiana rebuilds.

Edited by dgambill

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

A

B

S

U

R

D

Guys we are Arm Chair GMs throwing out crazy Nba trade scenarios..nobody should be calling names or saying one is absurd or not. They are all spit balling. Heck the guys that write the articles for click bait have just as bad trade ideas. Most are just trying to get player A to their team for clicks. We all know nothing...it’s just fun speculation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To get big time plaers the Warriors will have to really sweeten the pot because the #2 pick in this draft is not worth as much as usual.  I know you don't agree on that but how can it not be less of a value when there are no clear cut players for top picks this year.  That would be like saying the #1 pick in 2013 with Bennet being the pick being the same value as when Tim Duncan was the #1 pick.

Because that's not how it works. You need one team to believe Ball, Wiseman, Edward's or one of the top foreign guys is an all-star caliber player, and then you build leverage off of that. I guarantee you there are at least a few GM's around the league falling in love with one of these guys and looking to make a splash with fans. 

Regardless of the year, top 1-2 picks sell tickets and build excitement. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Guys we are Arm Chair GMs throwing out crazy Nba trade scenarios..nobody should be calling names or saying one is absurd or not. They are all spit balling. Heck the guys that write the articles for click bait have just as bad trade ideas. Most are just trying to get player A to their team for clicks. We all know nothing...it’s just fun speculation.

One LA guy thought they could get VO for Green and Caruso and maybe would have to throw in Kouzma.  There is no way that would be enough for me to get the trade done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Because that's not how it works. You need one team to believe Ball, Wiseman, Edward's or one of the top foreign guys is an all-star caliber player, and then you build leverage off of that. I guarantee you there are at least a few GM's around the league falling in love with one of these guys and looking to make a splash with fans. 

Regardless of the year, top 1-2 picks sell tickets and build excitement. 

I still don't think you will get an all star player for just the second pick

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

One LA guy thought they could get VO for Green and Caruso and maybe would have to throw in Kouzma.  There is no way that would be enough for me to get the trade done.

LA fans are entitled. All stars should be forced to play there. They also thought they would get PG for a bag of chips.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Thats also a ridiculous trade. Most trades thrown out by these media guys are ridiculous. 

Again, just going on my experience from the inside, media would throw out crazy trades and claim Danny Ainge had discussed them with teams. We would point blank ask Danny and the vast majority of the time that would be the first time he had ever heard of it, let alone actually talked to a team. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I still don't think you will get an all star player for just the second pick

I think the Warriors are big game hunting. Remember they don’t just have the 2nd pick this year but Minnesota’s next year. They have Wiggins to match salary (still a young talented but never lived up to his pick). They have a lot of options. Which is why I don’t think Myles ends up there. Like @BGleasis saying. They are going for an all star.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the Warriors are big game hunting. Remember they don’t just have the 2nd pick this year but Minnesota’s next year. They have Wiggins to match salary (still a young talented but never lived up to his pick). They have a lot of options. Which is why I don’t think Myles ends up there. Like @BGleasis saying. They are going for an all star.

Exactly what I'm saying, but probably haven't articulated well. They didn't acquire all of these assets for Myles Turner. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly what I'm saying, but probably haven't articulated well. They didn't acquire all of these assets for Myles Turner. 

I could see them using Wiggins/trade exception in a 3 team trade along with the two first rd picks this year and Minnesota’s next year for someone like Bradly Beal. A guy who could play the two and yet handle ball allowing Curry to play off ball some as well. But yes a big makes the most sense given they have to fight with AD.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

I appreciate the backup,@Hoosierhoopster! But I also don't want things to get overblown. I don't have all the answers and I could end up wrong here. 

Just to be clear for everyone else or new people. I worked in PR for the Celtics front office for 5 years, so no I wasn't on a GM track or anything, so I don't want to over state my background. 

But I will say, in PR you spend a ton of time with the players, coaches and basketball people. I literally would be in the draft war room during the draft and at the draft workouts, etc.  

So I do have a feel for these things and experience. But, I also don't want to overplay that or misrepresent it. 

Edit: That experience also doesn't mean I'll be proven right or that I know more than a current NBA scout, i most likely don't, but I do have experience in these rooms, so more of an educated opinion so to speak. 

I’m so jealous.  I’d absolutely love to be in a war room during the draft.  You wouldn’t even have to pay me.  Frankly, I’d especially love this for football. 

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

On the Celtics, I mean they made a Game 7 ECF appearance after drafting Tatum and Brown. Brown has played in 2 ECF's and Tatum was a starter on the team that took LeBron's Cavs 7 games. 

This year they were a contender. I'd hoped they would have gone further, but I think the bubble impacted things and last off-season I think the Horford loss was a bit of a surprise for the franchise. You add Horford and the Celtics have more depth and size, etc.

Sorry for quoting myself, but i actually undershot this. Jaylen Brown has played in 3 ECF's in 4 years and Tatum has played in 2 ECF's in 3 years. So while the Celtics still need to make moves, they didn't miss any window. They're set up nicely for the next decade. 

• Like 1