Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I agree. I don't love the Sabonis/Turner fit, but at the same time the Pacers never got a chance to see their full compliment last year. I'd give this coach a chance to have a healthy Brogdon, Oladipo, Warren, Sabonis and Turner and see how he does with it. That's a solid 5 and either it works or maybe you can drive up value for Oladipo and Turner. 

Exactly. I clearly thought Hayward was a better fit but it isn't like he would've moved them up more than maybe a seed line or two. 

The biggest room for the Pacers was always the new system, Holiday, the health of guys like Brogdon and Oladipo (or the value they'd get for him), and seeing how good Sabonis can be in an offensive friendly system. 

Can Sabonis take his game to the level of the type of 5s who dominated the playoffs as their teams played through them? We will see. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brogdon nailed the welcome press conference this morning.  Wants to make everyone around him better, Brogdon mentioned how he wanted to play for the Indiana Pacers, wanted to play for Nate, wants to m

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Hold up.... You don't blame a guy who has already made hundreds of millions but you blame kids who are often from rough situations for setting their families up for life?

He blames him for leaving early to the nba but once there he doesn’t blame him chasing the money lol.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KoB2011 said:

Exactly. I clearly thought Hayward was a better fit but it isn't like he would've moved them up more than maybe a seed line or two. 

The biggest room for the Pacers was always the new system, Holiday, the health of guys like Brogdon and Oladipo (or the value they'd get for him), and seeing how good Sabonis can be in an offensive friendly system. 

Can Sabonis take his game to the level of the type of 5s who dominated the playoffs as their teams played through them? We will see. 

Yup. Seems like Turner needs to be moved to allow Sabonis to really get that opportunity to be featured. I just don't know what Turner's value is? Obviously the idea a week or so ago in this thread that GS was going to trade the #2 pick for a deal centered on Turner was crazy, and while we can debate what happened with the Hayward deal, it's clear the Celtics didn't hold a ton of value for Turner either. 

I just wonder what he can get in a trade?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dgambill said:

He blames him for leaving early to the nba but once there he doesn’t blame him chasing the money lol.

Correct because he is a free agent.  I just see way to many kids make mistakes leaving early and never hearing from them again.  I need to look at how many players who left early not get drafted at all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Correct because he is a free agent.  I just see way to many kids make mistakes leaving early and never hearing from them again.  I need to look at how many players who left early not get drafted at all.

Getting drafted isn't the end all/be all like it used to be. I can't remember the exact stat but before the draft I saw a stat where something like 70+ undrafted players made a start in the NBA last season. Again, that wasn't the stat but it was something like that. 

Basketball is a global sport now and the NBA has changed so much with the G League and the Two-Way contracts. The are a multitude of paths to the NBA now, where 30 years ago if you weren't a first round pick it was devastating. Also, with the globalization of the game, many of these players can make more in Europe or China than they'd make with any type of real job they'd get with a degree. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Correct because he is a free agent.  I just see way to many kids make mistakes leaving early and never hearing from them again.  I need to look at how many players who left early not get drafted at all.

Omg Scott...you’ve made the point a million times. Nobody cares lol. 🤣 People know how you feel on the subject. Please don’t break out the statistics and bore us to death!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Getting drafted isn't the end all/be all like it used to be. I can't remember the exact stat but before the draft I saw a stat where something like 70+ undrafted players made a start in the NBA last season. Again, that wasn't the stat but it was something like that. 

Basketball is a global sport now and the NBA has changed so much with the G League and the Two-Way contracts. The are a multitude of paths to the NBA now, where 30 years ago if you weren't a first round pick it was devastating. Also, with the globalization of the game, many of these players can make more in Europe or China than they'd make with any type of real job they'd get with a degree. 

Your right...with two way deals, g league more kids are making it now then ever before and they are going younger and younger. I saw that even 2nd Rd picks are getting guaranteed contracts at like 85% or something. What Scott doesn’t understand is that yes some fall through the cracks but the nba is set up better now to help young kids transition to nba then ever before. Kids that went early and couldn’t make a rotation were out of the league 6/7 years ago. Now they are getting playing time and improving in the g league...playing 2 way and over all the teams are helping them succeed at a much higher clip. The league has improved a lot in that area. Of course kids still bomb out but they usually do because of off court issues and not being focused on their craft more so then just not getting chances.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Brown is significantly better than OG, it's not even remotely close. Brown also completely outplayed Siakim in their playoff series. 

On the Heat, I'm saying I need to see them play like that outside of the bubble. I believe they were the 5 seed in the East, and then they got hot in the bubble. We've seen what Tatum, Brown, etc. can do during a normal season. 

Whoa there Brown is better offensively OG is twice the player Brown is defensively. I think your view of Brown is skewed here. Tatum for sure, but Brown is good but he’s not fantastic. Personally I always prefer 2-way players and OG still has huge upside. Not buying the not even close assessment. I’d take Brown today - probably - but not if I needed a wing who could play really strong both ways. Hell OG has had games where he shut down LBJ, discounting that over offense is ok but not to say it’s not even close 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Will be interesting to see how that plays out. I agree with most that Turner/Sabonis aren't a great fit together, but I also said once Indiana got their coach that if I was them I would have sat tight and let it play out for a year. 

Yes good point — the P’s already have good players, the mediocre coaching is gone and the new Nate will bring a new look. Turner is a good player and a very good shot blocker, he’s the best player to move but not for the sake of just moving him, and remains to be seen how he’ll play in the new look P’s

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Whoa there Brown is better offensively OG is twice the player Brown is defensively. I think your view of Brown is skewed here. Tatum for sure, but Brown is good but he’s not fantastic. Personally I always prefer 2-way players and OG still has huge upside. Not buying the not even close assessment. I’d take Brown today - probably - but not if I needed a wing who could play really strong both ways. Hell OG has had games where he shut down LBJ, discounting that over offense is ok but not to say it’s not even close 

Wow, you're way, way off on this. Jaylen Brown came into the league known for his defense and averages 20ppg. He's the definition of a 2-way player. 

I love OG, but Brown's offense is infinitely more developed than any edge OG would have defensively over Brown. 

Brown literally came into the league as a guy ready to play D but that had to improve offensively and he's done exactly that. Many people were calling for him to be an all-star last year. 

Honestly, i love OG but comparing him to Brown at this point is laughable. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, you're way, way off on this. Jaylen Brown came into the league known for his defense and averages 20ppg. He's the definition of a 2-way player. 

I love OG, but Brown's offense is infinitely more developed than any edge OG would have defensively over Brown. 

Brown literally came into the league as a guy ready to play D but that had to improve offensively and he's done exactly that. Many people were calling for him to be an all-star last year. 

Honestly, i love OG but comparing him to Brown at this point is laughable. 

Hmm, no I don’t think it’s laughable Gleas, and in this case I think you are wearing a bit of C’s glasses. As I said, Brown is better offensively. But if you really think Brown is on OG’s level defensively you’re drinking too much kool aid, he’s clearly not. Show me the game where Brown shut down LBJ. You can’t he hasn’t. Brown is a borderline all star, he’s really good, but he’s not a Tatum good and he’s not on OG’s level defensively 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hmm, no I don’t think it’s laughable Gleas, and in this case I think you are wearing a bit of C’s glasses. As I said, Brown is better offensively. But if you really think Brown is on OG’s level defensively you’re drinking too much kool aid, he’s clearly not. Show me the game where Brown shut down LBJ. You can’t he hasn’t. Brown is a borderline all star, he’s really good, but he’s not a Tatum good and he’s not on OG’s level defensively 

The gap between OG and Brown offensively is infinitely greater than the gap between OG and Brown defensively. 

Brown is the second best defender on the Celtics after Smart, and the Celtics are one of the top defensive teams in the league. When Smart was coming off the bench Brown always started on the opponents best player. 

Honestly, HH this is silly Brown is an all-star level player, OG isn't close to that conversation. 

Brown is the better player by far. I love OG, every GM in the league would laugh and hangup if you tried to offer OG straight up for Brown. 

I would say you have a heavy dose of IU colored glasses on this one. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtics signed Tristan Thompson and Jeff Teague. Helps with several issues. Thompson is a double-double guy who can defend true bigs and provides toughness and leadership, while Teague gives us a backup point guard and scorer off the bench. 

I don't love Teague, but options were limited and he's upgrade over Brad Wanamaker. I'll take those two. 

Edited by BGleas
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Right because the Lakers picked up a new point and there’s real bad blood between him and Rondo 

He turned down more money to pay for the Clippers though. Harrell took a low deal to leave the Clippers, too. I wonder what is causing guys to not want to play with the Clippers?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...