NBA Thread

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think this kid never went to college so I don't know much about him.

Yep.  That's what I gathered.  Committed to NC st.  Don't recall the details about him skipping college.

Pacers have added 2 guys that will make the g league squad highlight reel material on a nightly basis.  Hopefully they grow enough to stick on the roster and contribute.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

@Bgleas Saw where Baynes signed with the raptors so your Celtics won't get another big

I kind of thought once we got Tristan Thompson that might not happen. With Thompson you push Theis to the first big off the bench and then you have a developing Robert Williams, so there really wasn't room for Baynes. 

• Like 1

A lot of switching up. Harrell to the Lakers, Ibaka to the Clippers (nice pick up), Theis to the Raptors, and Thompson to Celtics....definitely a marry go round. Somehow I think just about everyone got better...weird....well not Toronto...so there you go Gbeas. I thought they would land Ibaka back but that is a huge pickup for Clippers.

• Haha 2

Just now, dgambill said:

A lot of switching up. Harrell to the Lakers, Ibaka to the Clippers (nice pick up), Theis to the Raptors, and Thompson to Celtics....definitely a marry go round. Somehow I think just about everyone got better...weird....well not Toronto...so there you go Gbeas. I thought they would land Ibaka back but that is a huge pickup for Clippers.

Theis is still with the Celtics, and the Raptors suck 😅!

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Better rebounder..great one...better defender...just will depend a lot on how he fits the system if it will help in the long run. 

Yeah, the only concern is clogging the lane for Tatum, Brown and Kemba, but that's when you take him out and go with Theis. We'll have better versatility in that spot now. 

Edit: Thompson did shoot more 3's last year than the rest of his career combined and shot 39%. Still just 23 attempts though.

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1

Celtics still lost by giving away Hayward for nothing.  No need to argue.  Sure they got guys to come in and sign(ala Thompson, Teague, etc), but they lost out on other potential guys while waiting and wanting a top 5 shot blocker in the league, a promising young guard(Aaron Holiday) and/or TJ Warren in return for Hayward when every knows the Pacers weren't going to give away that much talent for one guy.    

52 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Celtics still lost by giving away Hayward for nothing.  No need to argue.  Sure they got guys to come in and sign(ala Thompson, Teague, etc), but they lost out on other potential guys while waiting and wanting a top 5 shot blocker in the league, a promising young guard(Aaron Holiday) and/or TJ Warren in return for Hayward when every knows the Pacers weren't going to give away that much talent for one guy.    

It depends on what happens next. If the Celtics end up working out a S&T with Charlotte then I would consider this a win for Boston. If they don't, then it's basically a discussion of Turner/McDermott vs. Thompson/Teague, while knowing the Celtics needed a backup point guard much more than they needed McDermott. 

Thompson and Turner both bring pluses and minuses. Turner is a really strong weak side shot blocker and rim protector, but from what I've read earlier in this thread from Pacer fans he struggles to defend true centers in the post, and I know he's not that great of a rebounder. Thompson on the other hand is not a shot blocker or rim protector, but he is a high level rebounder (the Celtics have been a terrible rebounding team the last few years) and is a good post defender against other bigs. 

Offensively, Turner has more upside and brings more floor spacing. I'd also say Thompson brings more leadership and toughness. 

Unless the thought is Turner could flourish with Brad Stevens and in Boston's system, which given his age is entirely possible, then I don't think there's that much difference and the Teague signing was much more necessary for Boston than any need for McDermott. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

It depends on what happens next. If the Celtics end up working out a S&T with Charlotte then I would consider this a win for Boston. If they don't, then it's basically a discussion of Turner/McDermott vs. Thompson/Teague, while knowing the Celtics needed a backup point guard much more than they needed McDermott. 

Thompson and Turner both bring pluses and minuses. Turner is a really strong weak side shot blocker and rim protector, but from what I've read earlier in this thread from Pacer fans he struggles to defend true centers in the post, and I know he's not that great of a rebounder. Thompson on the other hand is not a shot blocker or rim protector, but he is a high level rebounder (the Celtics have been a terrible rebounding team the last few years) and is a good post defender against other bigs. 

Offensively, Turner has more upside and brings more floor spacing. I'd also say Thompson brings more leadership and toughness. 

Unless the thought is Turner could flourish with Brad Stevens and in Boston's system, which given his age is entirely possible, then I don't think there's that much difference and the Teague signing was much more necessary for Boston than any need for McDermott. 

The only thing to worry about with Thompson is that he was married to a Kardashian

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

I kind of thought once we got Tristan Thompson that might not happen. With Thompson you push Theis to the first big off the bench and then you have a developing Robert Williams, so there really wasn't room for Baynes. 

From what I’ve seen, Theis to me is a pretty solid backup big.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1