NBA Thread

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did anyone else notice that Yogi played all 82 games this year.  According to many people IU has been down lately and yet we currently have 9 players in the NBA.  3 of which avg double figure scoring. Vic at 23, EG at 18 and Yogi at 11.

Doesn't that 9 include Jordan Crawford? 

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm very curious to see if Yogi is still with the Mavericks next season.  You have to think he has some appeal as a backup PG, but I can't help but think that Dallas is a perfect fit for him right now.  

Cody, on the other hand, needs a change of scenery.

I know you run a risk of having a very likable but mediocre team when you put a premium on local ties, but man, I would love to see Cody and Yogi find a home back in Indiana. I'm afraid the OG ship has sailed since the Pacers passed on drafting him.  I have a feeling his next contract will be very expensive.

Absolutely, you have to be choosy picking hometown guys and I think mental makeup is almost as important as physical attributes (we know the value Knight put on it).  Teague was a terrible pickup and after reading the Trey Lyles article, I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole.  Dude has loser written all over him.

Watching Kyle Lowry, I'm convinced Yogi is going to be in the league a long time.  In year 2 and 3 lowry played for garbage Memphis and Toronto teams avg around 9 pts 3 assist.  It took him quite a few years to find a niche and landing spot to really grow.  It wasn't until his 7th year that he even averaged in double figures.  Yogi is already averaging 10.2 on teams that are slightly better than what lowry started out with.  

Will be interesting to watch and see if he puts in the Oladipo and continues to grow his game.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

Not sure where to put this post. And since I don't follow the NBA.. not sure what has been said in this thread. But it is titled "Hoosiers in the NBA"... so I will post it here.

Sadly, Greg Popvich's wife has passed. And he will be missing at least one game due to that.

Pop grew up in East Chicago..  And played for the Gary, Indiana Biddy Basketball team that finished 3rd in 1960 World Championships. I did not know Pop but,  I have friends that played on that team.  Later. Pop played BB for Andrean. Same school as Dakich.  Just wanted to share, in case you guys did not know. 

Messina to coach Spurs following death of Popovich's wife 

Edited by milehiiu
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

OG looking good early.

OG is such a solid NBA player. His floor is a solid 3 and D starter on a contender - with much more upside than that. I have nothing against Leaf (who I think can turn into a rotation player), but OG was there for the Pacers and would have been such a fit for this team. Frustrating.

• Like 3

OG as the "biggest reason the Raptors will stop LeBron" -- Even the metrics love OG

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23368049/og-anunoby-toronto-raptors-best-shot-containing-cleveland-cavaliers-lebron-james

From the article --

In the regular season, Anunoby -- who tore his ACL playing for Indiana in January of 2017 and slipped to the 23rd pick of the draft as a result -- emerged as Dwane Casey's primary choice to defend James. The former Hoosier matched up against the Cavaliers' star 106 times -- almost double the next-highest amount for any other Raptor. And it's easy to see why: When Anunoby marked James, the Cavaliers scored 1.09 points per possession. That might not sound like a great defensive performance, but that scoring rate is a decent bit below the Cavaliers' season average with James on the court (1.14). And the real key is this: When any other player on the Raptors marked James, the clip the Cavaliers' offense scored at ballooned to 1.38 points per possession.

In other words: If that sample is any indication, Anunoby is the best the Raptors have.

There's also reason to believe that he actually is a solid choice to try to contain James beyond just that relatively small set of possessions against the Cavs this season. Against the entire league, Anunoby has already proved he is an elite defender against drives. In fact, opponents scored only 0.83 points per direct drive against him in the regular season, which tied for the third-lowest rate among all players who defended at least 200 drives. A direct drive is one in which the ball handler shoots, is fouled, turns the ball over or passes to a teammate who shoots after no more than one dribble.

-- What a player, props to OG

• Like 3

With OG guarding Lebron the score is Lebron 7, OG 5!

I got my head bit off earlier, but anyone who gives coach Crean credit for OG's defensive ability, well I disagree emphatically ! His ability is something that comes from within not from Tom Creans coaching!

• Like 1