NBA Thread

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I just saw a ranking of the top players in the league and they still had him 15th.  That’s still impressive.  I’m not sure I could recreate the link but it may be ESPN or CBS.  

He was just 10th, but dropped because he just had a rough season.

And the ranking means nothing anyway.
Just before this season he finished in the top 3 for League MVP and defensive MVP and was second overall in scoring. Who else do you think has done that? 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He finished second or third just the season before last. The quote is funny but come on now 

I don't really care, I just think it's funny and kind of typical Paul George that he said "my MVP season". That isn't something that someone that has never won the MVP says. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, BGleas said:

I don't really care, I just think it's funny and kind of typical Paul George that he said "my MVP season". That isn't something that someone that has never won the MVP says. 

Oh there are all kinds of comical quotes out there from many of them. Guys here just hound PG, nothing new. The guy was right there for League mvp. I don’t care either, just find this stuff comical 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh there are all kinds of comical quotes out there from many of them. Guys here just hound PG, nothing new. The guy was right there for League mvp. I don’t care either, just find this stuff comical 

I couldn't care less what you think of how the Pacers fan feels about PG.  He quit on the team and lied to the management.  He was never about the team and all about himself

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He was just 10th, but dropped because he just had a rough season.

And the ranking means nothing anyway.
Just before this season he finished in the top 3 for League MVP and defensive MVP and was second overall in scoring. Who else do you think has done that? 

I’d say top fifteen is pretty darn good, but no I wouldn’t consider him in the top ten at this stage.  He’s an obvious level below the super elite guys. Lebron, Giannis, Doncic, Kawhi, Curry.  There’s is a difference in kind from those guys to George.  I’m not a George hater. I have no reason to be.  That’s just how I think most people see him. 

My point is to be rated 15 is still very high.  To think much higher just isn’t realistic.  

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But it's also comical that he would say that when he's never won the MVP. He's just had so many missteps over the last few years in terms of saying things he probably shouldn't have that he's made himself an easy target. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But it's also comical that he would say that when he's never won the MVP. He's just had so many missteps over the last few years in terms of saying things he probably shouldn't have that he's made himself an easy target. 

No argument he puts his foot in his mouth. But I could pull up multiple stupid comments from LBJ et al but you guys don’t slam him because you like to poke at PG. come on now you know it’s true 🤣

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

No argument he puts his foot in his mouth. But I could pull up multiple stupid comments from LBJ et al but you guys don’t slam him because you like to poke at PG. come on now you know it’s true 🤣

Uh yeah, I slam LeBron all the time. But, it's also harder to slam LeBron because he has the resume and the rings so he can get away with more stuff. But guys like PG, Harden, Kyrie, etc. get hit more when they say/do dumb things. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’d say top fifteen is pretty darn good, but no I wouldn’t consider him in the top ten at this stage.  He’s an obvious level below the super elite guys. Lebron, Giannis, Doncic, Kawhi, Curry.  There’s is a difference in kind from those guys to George.  I’m not a George hater. I have no reason to be.  That’s just how I think most people see him. 

My point is to be rated 15 is still very high.  To think much higher just isn’t realistic.  

You’re welcome to that opinion but you can’t name but a couple or so guys who have done what he’s done on both sides of the ball. I’m no longer sold on Giannis in that top group btw. He was badly exposed in this past playoffs. He is a freak of nature and definitely top 10, but he’s a weak shooter, he hasn’t improved that aspect of his game.
Curry is fantastic, but a weak defender, they have to hide him on D. Harden? pretty much everyone puts him in the top 10, incredible scorer, but another lightweight defensively, and his playoff record? Most had Embiid in the top 10. Now? Hmm. Guys clearly on another level to me — LBJ, Durant, Kawhi, AD, Curry, Doncic (potential as best player). After that it gets really subjective imo. Not many really had Dame or Jocic top 10 before this season now many do. Dame is in my book. 
So when PG finished the no. 2 overall scorer, and in the top 3 for MVP and defensive MVP in the same season, if you don’t then consider him top ten to me is kind of silly. But he just had a bad year and doesn’t belong in that top 10 right now, just a year later, that’s completely fair - but don’t be shocked if he tears it up this year 

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Is that a real quote or The Onion?

PG becomes more of a joke everyday.  So much better off if he would just keep his mouth shut.  I feel my self getting  dumber as I listen or read what he says. Very immature and he might be a Rhodes Scholar for all I know but does not come across very intelligent to me. I dont say that for many athletes. I can't help but root against him. Never want an injury for sure but I like seeing the ball in his hands with time running out in the game and he has to deliver. I really like the other teams chances.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He's there but let's be honest its The LBJ award and let's give it to the 2nd best player. 

7 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

You’re welcome to that opinion but you can’t name but a couple or so guys who have done what he’s done on both sides of the ball. I’m no longer sold on Giannis in that top group btw. He was badly exposed in this past playoffs. He is a freak of nature and definitely top 10, but he’s a weak shooter, he hasn’t improved that aspect of his game.
Curry is fantastic, but a weak defender, they have to hide him on D. Harden? pretty much everyone puts him in the top 10, incredible scorer, but another lightweight defensively, and his playoff record? Most had Embiid in the top 10. Now? Hmm. Guys clearly on another level to me — LBJ, Durant, Kawhi, AD, Curry, Doncic (potential as best player). After that it gets really subjective imo. Not many really had Dame or Jocic top 10 before this season now many do. Dame is in my book. 
So when PG finished the no. 2 overall scorer, and in the top 3 for MVP and defensive MVP in the same season, if you don’t then consider him top ten to me is kind of silly. But he just had a bad year and doesn’t belong in that top 10 right now, just a year later, that’s completely fair - but don’t be shocked if he tears it up this year 

He should now that he has a coach that knows how to use him. That dumb Doc Rivers thinking PG was Ray Allen. I expect him to have career highs this year with a good coach. Birds fault for wanting him to play the 4, Docs fault for having just a spot up shooter. Huh, I see a pattern here but what do I know. Nothing since I dont worship his jock

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just a general NBA comment. I feel like the season ended 5 minutes ago and it's firing up again. I know load management is taboo to discuss but some of these teams better have a plan to rest guys.

In terms of Lebron. Dude is just a freak. He's actually played 3+ more seasons because of all the playoff games. I know the NBA has mentioned fining teams by sitting guys on national broadcast games. Have fun with proving if a guy was hurt or not. 

Regarding PG. I've said enough on him. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general NBA comment. I feel like the season ended 5 minutes ago and it's firing up again. I know load management is taboo to discuss but some of these teams better have a plan to rest guys.

In terms of Lebron. Dude is just a freak. He's actually played 3+ more seasons because of all the playoff games. I know the NBA has mentioned fining teams by sitting guys on national broadcast games. Have fun with proving if a guy was hurt or not. 

Regarding PG. I've said enough on him. 

Nobody says anything when MLB teams rest their stars.  Damn, basketball is way more physically exerting than baseball.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Nobody says anything when MLB teams rest their stars.  Damn, basketball is way more physically exerting than baseball.  

Great point. I feel the issue is the fan experience.  You may only get 1 chance to see a team come to your city. I was lucky enough to get floor tix to see LeBron in Indy. That was a gift for Ayden. If LeBron does not play I spent a fortune to see him sit. Even the cheap seats cost an arm and leg for NBA. You can get.top 6 at reds for 5 bucks a ticket. Thats just my take

5 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

He should now that he has a coach that knows how to use him. That dumb Doc Rivers thinking PG was Ray Allen. I expect him to have career highs this year with a good coach. Birds fault for wanting him to play the 4, Docs fault for having just a spot up shooter. Huh, I see a pattern here but what do I know. Nothing since I dont worship his jock

The funny thing is that the idea that Doc used him like Ray Allen was quickly debunked with data. I can't find the tweet now, but one of the main NBA media/analytics guys had a stat about the percent PG had the ball in his hands last year or percent he had the ball in a ball screen (can't remember exactly what it was) and it was near the top of his career usage.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

The funny thing is that the idea that Doc used him like Ray Allen was quickly debunked with data. I can't find the tweet now, but one of the main NBA media/analytics guys had a stat about the percent PG had the ball in his hands last year or percent he had the ball in a ball screen (can't remember exactly what it was) and it was near the top of his career usage.  

I know. Just giving our PG fan a hard time. I loved PG when here now who cares. Just all in fun

• Like 1
  • Haha 1