NBA Thread

I liked the way the Pacers were playing without Sabonis. They weren’t forcing it into him every possession and they were harder to guard plus it got Goga some minutes. The team is better with Sabonis but not when he forces things like he does at times. It could be a good thing if he was forced to play limited minutes for the next couple games because they have to start playing Goga some to develop him or he’ll end up another player then Pacers drafted and didn’t play at all. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I liked the way the Pacers were playing without Sabonis. They weren’t forcing it into him every possession and they were harder to guard plus it got Goga some minutes. The team is better with Sabonis but not when he forces things like he does at times. It could be a good thing if he was forced to play limited minutes for the next couple games because they have to start playing Goga some to develop him or he’ll end up another player then Pacers drafted and didn’t play at all. 

Goga is still so young, but he is really solid. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Big fan of Goga, he just needs mins even if it is 6 to 8 per game for now.  Develop him and you got a really good set of 3 tall guys over 6'11"

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Not benign but it sounds like things are good.  It must have been a confined tumor.  

I found this on the internet, "After radical nephrectomy for stage I renal cell carcinoma, the 5-year survival rate is approximately 94%. Patients with stage II lesions have a survival rate of 79%. A tumor confined to the kidney is associated with a better prognosis"

23 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not benign but it sounds like things are good.  It must have been a confined tumor.  

I found this on the internet, "After radical nephrectomy for stage I renal cell carcinoma, the 5-year survival rate is approximately 94%. Patients with stage II lesions have a survival rate of 79%. A tumor confined to the kidney is associated with a better prognosis"

The story is not clear on whether they simply removed the mass (and possibly surrounding kidney tissue) or the complete kidney (which would qualify as the radical nephrectomy in the statistics you listed).

I have little doubt that the trade, if not saving his life, at least saved Caris from a much more significant cancer fight.  It truly is a blessing that it happened. 

And, I commend the Pacers for doing the right thing and standing behind the young man.  A lot of organizations would have immediately voided the trade.  The Pacers didn't, and that makes me proud to be a fan.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

The story is not clear on whether they simply removed the mass (and possibly surrounding kidney tissue) or the complete kidney (which would qualify as the radical nephrectomy in the statistics you listed).

I have little doubt that the trade, if not saving his life, at least saved Caris from a much more significant cancer fight.  It truly is a blessing that it happened. 

And, I commend the Pacers for doing the right thing and standing behind the young man.  A lot of organizations would have immediately voided the trade.  The Pacers didn't, and that makes me proud to be a fan.  

Well said. God works in mysterious ways and all Pacer fans should be proud of the organization. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DC2345 said:

So Sabonis MRI results showed no damage - listed as day to day. I see where you're coming from with this post. In the first Toronto game, prior to the injury, Raps clogged the lane when Domas got it in the post with double and even triple teams collapsing. I didn't think Pacers/Domas responded in kind to move ball to open players and beat those rotations. 

I also thought Brogdon - after the 1st qtr - was also monopolizing possession with too much iso/p-n-r for eventual contested drives to the basket. I understand those two players have been our go-to guys thus far. They were both cold in addition, but it seemed like each - in their frustration - actually played into the defense's hands by forcing things/not recognizing and reacting appropriately. 

Raps D deserves credit. Tough defensive scheme and talent. We handled it better in the second game. I thought Brogdon let the game come to him offensively more than in game one. 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:16 PM, Billingsley99 said:

Sabonis leads the league at 38.2 mins per game. Brogdan is 3rd. 

And, perhaps not coincidentally, in the second Raps game (the W), Bjorkgren employed the bench much more - not just due to Sabonis's absence either. Although I agree with posters in this thread that Goga has to get consistent developmental minutes.

But there are also guys like Sumner and Sampson who can be very effective as energy guys even in short spurts while buying the starters rest. Even with several front-line players out, I fear the long term consequences of not cutting minutes on these two players in particular.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

And, perhaps not coincidentally, in the second Raps game (the W), Bjorkgren employed the bench much more - not just due to Sabonis's absence either. Although I agree with posters in this thread that Goga has to get consistent developmental minutes.

But there are also guys like Sumner and Sampson who can be very effective as energy guys even in short spurts while buying the starters rest. Even with several front-line players out, I fear the long term consequences of not cutting minutes on these two players in particular.

I think the Pacers have a lot of guys that can contribute.  I think it will take some time to get Nates trust for some of the guys.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Another one lost, analyst/reporter Sekou Smith, at age 48, passed away from Covid.

That is a very tough loss for the NBA community and specifically the NBA Media community. 

I'm not going to claim that I knew Sekou well or anything, but part of my role with the Celtics was to manage the media credentials and make sure home and visiting media had everything they needed, so I got to work with him each time the teams he covered came to Boston. 

Everything that's being said is absolutely true. A magnetic smile and personality. He was the type of person in the media room that everyone gravitate too. Super nice guy. 

Thoughts are with his family and the NBA community. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Vic 11-23 for 25 7 boards and 5 assists in W over the Blazers, looks like he’s settling in well with the Rockets 

I do think Vic is getting closer to his old self but anyone that needs over 20 shots to score 20 points tells me he is not being efficient....he is filling up a box sheet with Houston but by in large they are pretty empty stats. He isn’t getting to the foul line and he isn’t shooting a great fg percent doesn’t shoot 3 well has poor assist to turnover ratio. Just not winning basketball imo....well winning basketball come playoffs.

56 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I've been wondering that.  Stevens is a fabulous coach but I think the Celtics are a terrible fit for Romeo.

He's injured. He got hurt in the bubble playoffs and had to have surgery. He's supposed to be back sometime in February. 

If not for the injury he would be getting a lot of playing time this year. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I do think Vic is getting closer to his old self but anyone that needs over 20 shots to score 20 points tells me he is not being efficient....he is filling up a box sheet with Houston but by in large they are pretty empty stats. He isn’t getting to the foul line and he isn’t shooting a great fg percent doesn’t shoot 3 well has poor assist to turnover ratio. Just not winning basketball imo....well winning basketball come playoffs.

He really laid it on thick in his interview after the game.  Said everyone keeps giving up on him and he just wants to prove them wrong.  Nobody in Indiana gave up on him, he gave up on the organization.  Sounds like Vic is nothing more than a drama king.

• Like 2