NBA Thread

46 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Saw Oladipo might be out all next year.  Man did he ever make a mistake not accepting the Pacers' and then Miami's offers.  He is going to lose tens of millions of dollars.

We dodged a bullet with that one. I also think Lavert will be a nice piece...or at the very least could net us something in a trade later.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am hoping after tonight's debacle that the Pacers owner decides to clean house.  Start with the owner who needs to start spending into the luxury tax.  It is time to move on from the front office because his drafting has been horrible.  I was on the fence with the coach but to ight shows he is over his head.  He could not figure out a game plant to stop Washington.  In 4 games Washington averaged over 140 points per game but for the season they only averaged 116 which was 17th in the league.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Franchise is dead. This season isn't because of injuries either. I don't know exactly what needs to be done but any lay person can see this staff and players don't need to come back in it's entirety. 

Yep. I heard TJ Warren wants out because he had history with the coach from his time in Phoenix. Not sure what can be done but cleaning house indeed. Honestly this franchise is afraid to just gut it and rebuild. Look at Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Philly (I don't want the process though lol), Boston, Lakers (who traded all their talent)...you have to go out and get young talent and put it together over a few years and then hope to add good pieces in free agency and trades. If Milwaulkie can do it we can. Always holding on too long and trying to get an 8 seed when changes are needed.

IMO  everyone is tradable this offseason. I imagine they want to hold on to Sabonis but heck even he could go if you want to net lottery pick to rebuild faster. Sabonis is that jewel that could get you the most. That said Pacers have a lot of really good players that they could flip for young talent on a team that is ready to make that turn into contender. Turner has to be gone before he loses value (at least he has defensive value and can space the floor), I don't see why you keep Brogdon on a big contract who is at the age of win now if your rebuilding. Warren might be iffy but dang he has tons of potential and someone might be willing to part with a young player or two. Lavert I think you might hang on to so you can restore some value. The good thing about tanking if you will is you get to inflate players numbers. You have a team with Lavert as a #1 option suddenly he is scoring 25 a game...or a Warren and they are scoring a lot so it might help their trade value down the road. Whatever they do...this is the offseason to do it. A good draft class imo along with several players in their prime or values probably as high as they ever will be. Guys that can help other teams. Be interesting to see what trade scenarios we can come up with. I'll look around and then shoot a couple out there. Love hearing what others think. To me the NBA has always been the trade league...so one of the last things I enjoy about it is the what ifs.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yep. I heard TJ Warren wants out because he had history with the coach from his time in Phoenix. Not sure what can be done but cleaning house indeed. Honestly this franchise is afraid to just gut it and rebuild. Look at Phoenix, Denver, Atlanta, Philly (I don't want the process though lol), Boston, Lakers (who traded all their talent)...you have to go out and get young talent and put it together over a few years and then hope to add good pieces in free agency and trades. If Milwaulkie can do it we can. Always holding on too long and trying to get an 8 seed when changes are needed.

IMO  everyone is tradable this offseason. I imagine they want to hold on to Sabonis but heck even he could go if you want to net lottery pick to rebuild faster. Sabonis is that jewel that could get you the most. That said Pacers have a lot of really good players that they could flip for young talent on a team that is ready to make that turn into contender. Turner has to be gone before he loses value (at least he has defensive value and can space the floor), I don't see why you keep Brogdon on a big contract who is at the age of win now if your rebuilding. Warren might be iffy but dang he has tons of potential and someone might be willing to part with a young player or two. Lavert I think you might hang on to so you can restore some value. The good thing about tanking if you will is you get to inflate players numbers. You have a team with Lavert as a #1 option suddenly he is scoring 25 a game...or a Warren and they are scoring a lot so it might help their trade value down the road. Whatever they do...this is the offseason to do it. A good draft class imo along with several players in their prime or values probably as high as they ever will be. Guys that can help other teams. Be interesting to see what trade scenarios we can come up with. I'll look around and then shoot a couple out there. Love hearing what others think. To me the NBA has always been the trade league...so one of the last things I enjoy about it is the what ifs.

I wouldn't get too excited the Pacers rarely make big moves. And I don't know why everybody is discounting the injuries. I don't know if any team got hit harder with injuries. I know the Celtics got hit with the covid quarantines but the Pacers were absolutely decimated and that's not even remotely debatable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I wouldn't get too excited the Pacers rarely make big moves. And I don't know why everybody is discounting the injuries. I don't know if any team got hit harder with injuries. I know the Celtics got hit with the covid quarantines but the Pacers were absolutely decimated and that's not even remotely debatable.

Oh..the Pacers will likely stand pat....maybe they fire the coach. They won't make wholesale changes. That is probably as Pacer as they can get. They should though. Even with the roster as it is this is at most a 4 or 5 seed...not sure they will be able to overtake the Nets/Sixers/Milwaulkie any time soon....and I'm pretty sure Miami is set up to add another big piece this offseason. I'd be looking to build things with a 3-4 year plan to be hitting our stride then. 

• Like 1

https://heavy.com/sports/boston-celtics/danny-ainge-shut-f-up/

Danny Ainge ‘Summoned’ Over Romeo Langford Video

While there’s been no confirming Romeo’s exact wording nor do we know who the sophomore wing was speaking to, it didn’t stop 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich from asking Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge, Thursday morning.

“I’ve been summoned,” Ainge said admittingly, after clarifying he hadn’t seen the actual video itself. “They didn’t hear him say it, they just thought that that’s what he mouthed. He has to be careful about that.”

From the outset, it sounded like Ainge wasn’t too familiar with the story. But, after a quick summary, Danny says the matter was, in fact, brought to his attention.

“Now that you mention that, I think that I did hear,” Ainge laughed. “Somebody said, ‘Did he just say to Brad Stevens …’ and, you know, who knows what he heard or what he said?”

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

Just because it's fun to use the trade machine I came up with a couple to try to give an idea of what could be done....none are probably even likely but just as an example of the kinds of moves to go young and reboot the team.

Trade 1

Chicago Bulls

Trade Coby White and Patrick Williams (T Young to make salaries work) Pacers trade M Brogdon and filler (J Holiday)

Why it makes sense...Bulls are looking to make playoffs now after adding Vuvevic to Lavine. 

Trade 2 

Atlanta Hawks

Trade D Hunter and Okongwu and Dunn to Pacers for Brogdon

Brogdon would pair nicely with Young and Hawks have log jam at wing position with Hunter/Huerter/Reddish/Gallinari/Bogdonovic....Hunter was having a break out season until he went down with injury. Okongwu is a nice young piece to develop.

Trade 3 

GSW & Dallas

Dallas gets Wiggins (GSW) and M Turner (Indy) and 1st rd pick #17 (GSW) GSW get K Porzingis (Dal) and INDY gets Wiseman (GSW) Paschall (GSW) and Richardson (Dall $$filler)

Why it works. Dallas it just isnt working with Porzingis and Doncic. To add more depth/defense (Carlisle loves D) and flexibility give them Wiggins/Turner plus a pick they can swap or use. GSW get the (UNICORN). 7'0 that can shoot and play on the perimeter in pick in pop with Steph and Klay. They can then use Oubre in sign and trade plus have #6 pick to fill in that spot at the SF. Pacers get Wiseman a talented true center that is young and would be better battling traditional bigs like Embiid. Finally move on from the Sabonis/Turner experiment. Or if they don't want Wiseman perhaps they could ask for multiple first from GSW including the #6 this year.

Trade 4

Boston

Nevermind...how many offseasons can you talk of moving M  Turner to Boston....besides Boston has now used up all those draft picks...and not sure a package around Romeo is going to be as enticing as it once was.

Still leaves lots of options including trading Warren or Lavert. I kind of like to see Lavert and Sabonis work together with a new cast around them but that is just me. Obviously the big prize is Sabonis....they could obviously land a slew of picks and talented young players if they moved him. Just don't see that happening though. He sells jersey's and tickets right now. Anybody else got trade scenarios?

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just because it's fun to use the trade machine I came up with a couple to try to give an idea of what could be done....none are probably even likely but just as an example of the kinds of moves to go young and reboot the team.

Trade 1

Chicago Bulls

Trade Coby White and Patrick Williams (T Young to make salaries work) Pacers trade M Brogdon and filler (J Holiday)

Why it makes sense...Bulls are looking to make playoffs now after adding Vuvevic to Lavine. 

Trade 2 

Atlanta Hawks

Trade D Hunter and Okongwu and Dunn to Pacers for Brogdon

Brogdon would pair nicely with Young and Hawks have log jam at wing position with Hunter/Huerter/Reddish/Gallinari/Bogdonovic....Hunter was having a break out season until he went down with injury. Okongwu is a nice young piece to develop.

Trade 3 

GSW & Dallas

Dallas gets Wiggins (GSW) and M Turner (Indy) and 1st rd pick #17 (GSW) GSW get K Porzingis (Dal) and INDY gets Wiseman (GSW) Paschall (GSW) and Richardson (Dall $$filler)

Why it works. Dallas it just isnt working with Porzingis and Doncic. To add more depth/defense (Carlisle loves D) and flexibility give them Wiggins/Turner plus a pick they can swap or use. GSW get the (UNICORN). 7'0 that can shoot and play on the perimeter in pick in pop with Steph and Klay. They can then use Oubre in sign and trade plus have #6 pick to fill in that spot at the SF. Pacers get Wiseman a talented true center that is young and would be better battling traditional bigs like Embiid. Finally move on from the Sabonis/Turner experiment. Or if they don't want Wiseman perhaps they could ask for multiple first from GSW including the #6 this year.

Trade 4

Boston

Nevermind...how many offseasons can you talk of moving M  Turner to Boston....besides Boston has now used up all those draft picks...and not sure a package around Romeo is going to be as enticing as it once was.

Still leaves lots of options including trading Warren or Lavert. I kind of like to see Lavert and Sabonis work together with a new cast around them but that is just me. Obviously the big prize is Sabonis....they could obviously land a slew of picks and talented young players if they moved him. Just don't see that happening though. He sells jersey's and tickets right now. Anybody else got trade scenarios?

I can't see why, from Atlanta or Dallas (or GSW) perspective those trades would happen. 

I could see a trade like the Atlanta trade with a wing besides Hunter, but I really am unsure if Atlanta will want to bring in another ball dominant player next to Trae. 

The Dallas trade I just don't get. Aren't they a five seed in their second year with that duo? I don't see them blowing that up.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't see why, from Atlanta or Dallas (or GSW) perspective those trades would happen. 

I could see a trade like the Atlanta trade with a wing besides Hunter, but I really am unsure if Atlanta will want to bring in another ball dominant player next to Trae. 

The Dallas trade I just don't get. Aren't they a five seed in their second year with that duo? I don't see them blowing that up.  

This guy kinda sums up my feelings on Porzongis. GSW window is closing fast...Dallas has plenty of time. Porzingis is on a huge contract and Doncic is coming up for one. If you want flexibility then the trade makes sense. I also don’t think the duo has the chemistry people thought. On paper it should work but in reality it just doesn’t seem to play well. Dallas needs more pieces not just a star next to Doncic. With Porzingis out all the time they just lack balance to surround Doncic. Porzingis fits the GSW much better with the pick n pop and floor spacing. Rolling the dice for them makes more sense. Like I said probably won’t happen...but I think there will be some bold moves this offseason. 

As for Atlanta trade...I think the Bulls one is more likely. Just throwing out options.

Edited by dgambill

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

He ain't wrong!  Does this surprise anyone. Whether I agree with the NBA's health and safety protocols etc is beside the point. The problem with this is the Hypocrisy....which let's be honest....it's rampant on COVID from the start...from just about everyone in a leadership position. Charles say's a lot of funny things...a lot of controversial things...can't say I find them all funny nor agree with everything...but he isn't afraid to talk about ANYTHING. It's refreshing to see a guy just speak his mind and not be afraid...because a lot of people in this current environment fear doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

F*%# the Lakers.

... all I got.

Did you see Lebron’s passive agressive way to call out AD? Hilarious. It’s not about one guy...it’s team....but we are better when AD is agressive...we are at our best when he demands the ball. We got to do our jobs better lol. 

I don't expect the Celtics to win this series, I'm not sure if they can even win a game, and the Nets are phenomenal, but with that said the officiating in this game has been absurd. 

Tatum, Smart and Fournier have been getting mugged going to the basket and are getting no calls, meanwhile even guys like Landry Shammet are drawing ticky tack fouls on the other end. 

It wouldn't change the outcome, but its very frustrating to watch. 

By the way, if the Nets are healthy I don't see how they lose. 

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't expect the Celtics to win this series, I'm not sure if they can even win a game, and the Nets are phenomenal, but with that said the officiating in this game has been absurd. 

Tatum, Smart and Fournier have been getting mugged going to the basket and are getting no calls, meanwhile even guys like Landry Shammet are drawing ticky tack fouls on the other end. 

Milwaulkie matches up well with them. They haven’t been intimidated during the regular season. I don’t think the sixers will have enough shooting. 

Boston should just try to bully ball them. Get matchups to post up Tatum, Smart, Williams, and Thompson and let Fournier and Walker spot up. Not really a lot you can do though when Harris is going for 30 in first half lol.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

100%. This officiating has been terrible. 

Even the challenge, and I don't really get why Stevens did it, but how do you uphold a foul when there was clearly no contact and Harden just fell down?

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Milwaulkie matches up well with them. They haven’t been intimidated during the regular season. I don’t think the sixers will have enough shooting. 

Boston should just try to bully ball them. Get matchups to post up Tatum, Williams, and Thompson and let Fournier and Walker spot up. Not really a lot you can do though when Harris is going for 30 in first half lol.

Agree with your first paragraph, the East isn't over, but if "the others" are shooting like this then the Nets will be really hard to beat. 

On your second paragraph, I agree except that the Celtics aren't getting any calls. Tough to play bully ball when the refs aren't calling anything on the other team. 

Tatum should have 3-4 trips to the foul line by now and I think he has none. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Even the challenge, and I don't really get why Stevens did it, but how do you uphold a foul when there was clearly no contact and Harden just fell down?

Thank you! I thought everyone would disagree. 

That call on the Harden 3 was terrible. I didn't expect an overturn either, but nobody touched him and he started falling before anyone was near him. 

Tatum has been getting mugged going to the basket and he's getting nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Not a Celtics fan but they’ve gotten fouled every time they’ve taken it to the rim. Refs letting it go. Could have been several and ones. That said they just don’t have the fire power. Can’t trade 3s for 2s and they just haven’t done a good job sticking to Harris. He is the one guy you want to find on the break and not leave to help on the big 3.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree with your first paragraph, the East isn't over, but if "the others" are shooting like this then the Nets will be really hard to beat. 

On your second paragraph, I agree except that the Celtics aren't getting any calls. Tough to play bully ball when the refs aren't calling anything on the other team. 

Tatum should have 3-4 trips to the foul line by now and I think he has none. 

Well if the Nets are getting this effort from the others and getting these calls no one in either conference will beat them, but I doubt that this continued all the way through to a title. Not that they can't win a title without those two factors that are causing this to be a blowout. 

I do struggle to envision anyone else coming out of the East if the Big Three remain healthy, it's just too much firepower. It's legitimately maybe three of the top five bucket getters on the planet. 

• Like 1