NBA Thread

Unrelated to watching any particular game but this has kind of stood out to me watching the playoffs - the amount of REALLY good NBA players UK has put in the league recently is absurd.

I think the second 5 from UK could beat any other college's first team, with Duke as a possible exception. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Unrelated to watching any particular game but this has kind of stood out to me watching the playoffs - the amount of REALLY good NBA players UK has put in the league recently is absurd.

I think the second 5 from UK could beat any other college's first team, with Duke as a possible exception. 

It's really true. It seems like almost every team has at least one solid to all-star level UK guy. 

Watching the Suns, I'm reminded of the debate between them recruiting Devin Booker or James Blackmon, Jr.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This Suns team is so fun! I am really enjoying them and a few other teams without multiple stars in these playoffs. 

Same! Hadn't seen the Suns much this year, but a really fun team. 

I think Booker has to figure out how to get involved down the stretch for them to pull this one out though. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Same! Hadn't seen the Suns much this year, but a really fun team. 

I think Booker has to figure out how to get involved down the stretch for them to pull this one out though. 

I agree. I can't see Payne and Ayton beating the Lakers on their own. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That play 2 possessions ago where Ayton got his shot blocked, Booker passed up the ball on the wing with the defender sagging. 

Booker has kind of folded down the stretch. He had a bad shot and a turnover right after that too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I am not sold on either LA team. I think they're both worse than the sum of their parts. 

Every time I hear Paul George's team is failing in the playoffs I sit back and reflect on things and think, well maybe everything is alright in the world after all.  😀 👍

• Haha 1

The Suns with a healthy Chris Paul is night and day different then without. I don't think they have a chance with the Lakers if he is hobbled the whole series. I'm not a huge Chris Paul fan but the guy makes winning plays and everyone around him better. Unfortunately injured playoff Chris Paul is a tell as old as time.....sadly...not a fairytale...no happy ending for the Suns.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Every time I hear Paul George's team is failing in the playoffs I sit back and reflect on things and think, well maybe everything is alright in the world after all.  😀 👍

Not sure what the deal is with the Clippers. On paper it shouldn't even be a contest. I just don't know....paper tiger maybe? Outside of Kawhi I just don't trust anyone on that team. Just so soft on defense. They just have no answer for Luca. If his supporting cast can keep it up I think the Clippers are done....and Leonard ends up in south beach this offseason. Can't see him accepting his player option and going at it another year with the same cast of characters.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

I wonder what PGs excuse will be this year for choking in the playoffs? Last year it was how awful the bubble was on him and his mental health lol

Cute of him to mock Kleber though after someone else dunked on him. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure what the deal is with the Clippers. On paper it shouldn't even be a contest. I just don't know....paper tiger maybe? Outside of Kawhi I just don't trust anyone on that team. Just so soft on defense. They just have no answer for Luca. If his supporting cast can keep it up I think the Clippers are done....and Leonard ends up in south beach this offseason. Can't see him accepting his player option and going at it another year with the same cast of characters.

Yeah I don't see them advancing past the Mavs, and if they don't  there is a very good chance Leonard will move on.

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wonder what PGs excuse will be this year for choking in the playoffs? Last year it was how awful the bubble was on him and his mental health lol

Oh he will think of something I would imagine lol.

I can honestly say I have never had one player go from my favorite player, to one of my least favorite in all of sports like he has. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The problem with the Clippers are that they are leaderless. They made Kawhi the face of the franchise, but he can't be a leader because he doesn't communicate and he's not a culture builder. We all know Paul George isn't a leader either. 

With Kawhi, he won in SA because the culture was established and Pop, Duncan and Parker were the vocal leaders. He won Toronto because the culture was established and Kyle Lowry was the vocal leader. 

The Clippers made Kawhi their leader but he doesn't communicate. He's not a guy that's going to talk, rally the troops, etc. 

It's not a coincidence that the Clippers were one of the worst teams in the NBA in the last 5 minutes of close games. Nobody is in charge. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The problem with the Clippers are that they are leaderless. They made Kawhi the face of the franchise, but he can't be a leader because he doesn't communicate and he's not a culture builder. We all know Paul George isn't a leader either. 

With Kawhi, he won in SA because the culture was established and Pop, Duncan and Parker were the vocal leaders. He won Toronto because the culture was established and Kyle Lowry was the vocal leader. 

The Clippers made Kawhi their leader but he doesn't communicate. He's not a guy that's going to talk, rally the troops, etc. 

It's not a coincidence that the Clippers were one of the worst teams in the NBA in the last 5 minutes of close games. Nobody is in charge. 

Perfect analysis! I agree. Also when your star sits out all the time and doesn't play that filters down through the organization. People don't play as hard because it doesn't matter to him it doesn't matter to me. Can't just turn it on and off. Toronto was a good team like you said...thing was I mean the Warriors came in decimated by injuries with Durant missing the whole playoffs basically and then Thompson went down. They sacrificed depth for him and it bite them. No doubt full health who wins that series...no doubt at all. Heck Toronto was a lucky shot from Kawhi from going home to the Sixers. Kawhi is super talented but he doesn't talk...on the court...off the court. You nailed it. I feel kind of bad for Paul George. I've been putting so much of it on him but in reality he is just an all star second fiddle. He is Robin. Never has been a Batman....and in this case Batman is the Dark Knight...he works alone and doesn't bring those around him together. You need another strong vocal leader on that team...your so right. It isn't the Justice League with Superman and Batman....or whatever lol....it's loner Batman and a good cast that doesn't know their identity. I honestly feel like Kawhi will end up opting out and going to Miami next year....not sure if Butler is that vocal leader either...but I get the feeling that is where we are headed.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Keubler whatever his name is was so right though. He just said look. It's the playoffs...I'm going to sacrifice myself and try to make a play. Normally I would foul but I was in foul trouble so I couldn't. I don't care if I get dunked on. I'm going to try anything I can do to help my team win. In the end it doesn't matter what shows up in the highlights it's that we win the game. Admire him....he wasn't about to make a business decision in the playoffs. Guy doesn't care about anything but the team winning. I don't think I've ever felt that way about Paul George. A whole lot of business decisions when it comes to him. Very much worried about how he is viewed and perceived. If it was Lebron James coming at him....PG would step aside...no doubt in my mind. 10 years ago when it was young PG trying to make his way up and was hungry with the Pacers....that guy would...but not this version.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Keubler whatever his name is was so right though. He just said look. It's the playoffs...I'm going to sacrifice myself and try to make a play. Normally I would foul but I was in foul trouble so I couldn't. I don't care if I get dunked on. I'm going to try anything I can do to help my team win. In the end it doesn't matter what shows up in the highlights it's that we win the game. Admire him....he wasn't about to make a business decision in the playoffs. Guy doesn't care about anything but the team winning. I don't think I've ever felt that way about Paul George. A whole lot of business decisions when it comes to him. Very much worried about how he is viewed and perceived. If it was Lebron James coming at him....PG would step aside...no doubt in my mind. 10 years ago when it was young PG trying to make his way up and was hungry with the Pacers....that guy would...but not this version.

Unfortunate how much he and VO lost themselves. They could have been GODS in Indiana, they chose not to be remembered.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Unfortunate how much he and VO lost themselves. They could have been GODS in Indiana, they chose not to be remembered.

Small market heroes are the best. Look at Reggie Miller. Don't get me wrong...guy was a great player....but nothing close to an all timer....but in Indiana he is a legend...I get it I get it...if your front office can't put together a competitive team or later in your career you think making a move to make a run at a chip is necessary. But Pacers have always fielded competitive teams....always tried to win a championship and would focus on veteran players....never went on the cheap to tear down and force a star to play with a crappy team. No excuse other than their own vanity.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Small market heroes are the best. Look at Reggie Miller. Don't get me wrong...guy was a great player....but nothing close to an all timer....but in Indiana he is a legend...I get it I get it...if your front office can't put together a competitive team or later in your career you think making a move to make a run at a chip is necessary. But Pacers have always fielded competitive teams....always tried to win a championship and would focus on veteran players....never went on the cheap to tear down and force a star to play with a crappy team. No excuse other than their own vanity.

Paul was a part of two or three VERYYYY good teams. One of them was a #1. Idk. Is what it is. I think he's soft.

• Like 2