NBA Thread

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah. I'm watching the last few minutes of Denver-Portland and you wonder how far Denver could go with Jamal Murray, then of course you have AD out and Chris Paul hobbled in that series. 

Even look at the East too, Boston was missing Brown and Kemba, Embid is now hurt, Milwaukee lost DiVincenzo, etc. 

Yep. Mitchell was out the first game. Doncic is hurt. Lebron isn't 100%. Oladipo for the Heat. Thomas Bryant for Washington. Denver also has Barton and Dozier out. Dinwidde for Nets (I mean imagine if this guy was healthy their rotations....not even fair). I mean all the ones you talked about of course. I know its just a part of sports but dang...it really sucks to see.

30 minutes ago, rico said:

Lillard would look awesome in a Pacer uniform...

I just don't know who the Pacers can land (superstar) that would be willing to play in a small market, a predominantly white market (i say this because in NBA circles Indy is the big snooze because it has little to no night life/large black community/culture) and then you have an ownership that runs it like a business. I honestly think the Pacers should look to go for international players. They seem to care less about the marketing/city and more loyal to the team if the team is loyal to them. Maybe they wouldn't look to sell out the Pacers down the road. Not sure. It's definitely an issue.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep. Mitchell was out the first game. Doncic is hurt. Lebron isn't 100%. Oladipo for the Heat. Thomas Bryant for Washington. Denver also has Barton and Dozier out. Dinwidde for Nets (I mean imagine if this guy was healthy their rotations....not even fair). I mean all the ones you talked about of course. I know its just a part of sports but dang...it really sucks to see.

Yeah, there are a lot of guys either out or just minimized with nagging injuries. 

I'd suspect the short layoff from the bubble didn't help. 

• Like 1

Probably an unpopular take, at least for the networks and media, but wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers out in the first round and the Nets losing to the Bucks. 

They're not the sexy teams, but Phoenix, Utah, Denver or Portland, Milwaukee and Atlanta are all fun to watch. I would love to see some combination of Utah, Phoenix, Denver or Portland in the Finals against Milwaukee. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Probably an unpopular take, at least for the networks and media, but wouldn't mind seeing the Lakers out in the first round and the Nets losing to the Bucks. 

They're not the sexy teams, but Phoenix, Utah, Denver or Portland, Milwaukee and Atlanta are all fun to watch. I would love to see some combination of Utah, Phoenix, Denver or Portland in the Finals against Milwaukee. 

Definitely the tv execs won't want that. They want a New Jersey vs Clipper/Lakers final. Before Murray went down the Nuggets were my pick....makes me sad. I think this is the Bucks year....kind of like everything that came together for Toronto...I just feel like it will for them.

Agree Suns are fun to watch. Utah is a team to watch as well...very balanced. Imagine them vs the Bucks....media execs would cry.

2 minutes ago, IU247 said:

WOW

giphy.gif

The GIF is just for fun, but during the IU coaching search I said it was more likely that Stevens would eventually replace Ainge than it would be for him to come back to coaching college. I admit, I'm shocked it was this soon, but with that said Woj's tweet seems really vague with "...on a full-time role." You'd think it would be more specific to replace Ainge and become President of Bball Ops. 

I also thought when Stevens made that move that he would remain as coach. It seems odd that some his age that seemingly loves to coach would step away from the sideline. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Nevermind, he is taking over as head of BBall Ops.

I get it but I don't. Brad Stevens is indeed very very young and very intelligent basketball mind...but I don't understand him wanting out of coaching. Strikes me very strange. I could see how we thought we had our guy then Boston one ups us and gives him a GM job. Just strange he wants out of coaching altogether. Pressure was huge as a HC but will be even bigger as head of Basketball operations. Going to be interesting to see what the Celtics do this offseason. Obviously he knows better than most what they need to get better. Wonder if he used the IU leverage to get this position or all the details. I'm sure it will all come out. Also wonder how long before he gets the itch to coach again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get it but I don't. Brad Stevens is indeed very very young and very intelligent basketball mind...but I don't understand him wanting out of coaching. Strikes me very strange. I could see how we thought we had our guy then Boston one ups us and gives him a GM job. Just strange he wants out of coaching altogether. Pressure was huge as a HC but will be even bigger as head of Basketball operations. Going to be interesting to see what the Celtics do this offseason. Obviously he knows better than most what they need to get better. Wonder if he used the IU leverage to get this position or all the details. I'm sure it will all come out. Also wonder how long before he gets the itch to coach again.

I honestly don't think he wanted out of coaching, but I think he was a little burnt out after the bubble and then the challenges of this season. I think he also felt the team maybe needed a new voice, but he loves the Celtics and Boston and didn't want to leave. I also think Wyc (the owner) wanted to make a move but didn't want to pay Stevens a $28M buyout if he fired him. 

I don't think this is necessarily a promotion for Stevens, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching another team after next season. 

Like I've said, I thought he would eventually replace Ainge, but the not coaching part to me is really strange. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

giphy.gif

The GIF is just for fun, but during the IU coaching search I said it was more likely that Stevens would eventually replace Ainge than it would be for him to come back to coaching college. I admit, I'm shocked it was this soon, but with that said Woj's tweet seems really vague with "...on a full-time role." You'd think it would be more specific to replace Ainge and become President of Bball Ops. 

I also thought when Stevens made that move that he would remain as coach. It seems odd that some his age that seemingly loves to coach would step away from the sideline. 

He can always come back.  He's an NBA guy all the way.  He gave the IU offer about ten minutes consideration, IMHO.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I honestly don't think he wanted out of coaching, but I think he was a little burnt out after the bubble and then the challenges of this season. I think he also felt the team maybe needed a new voice, but he loves the Celtics and Boston and didn't want to leave. I also think Wyc (the owner) wanted to make a move but didn't want to pay Stevens a $28M buyout if he fired him. 

I don't think this is necessarily a promotion for Stevens, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him coaching another team after next season. 

Like I've said, I thought he would eventually replace Ainge, but the not coaching part to me is really strange. 

Celtic fans were giddy until they get to the part of the article where Stevens is taking over for Ainge. Not saying they know anything about running a team or coaching but they wanted both out. Maybe its just the vocal majority on the internet but I don't think the avg joe is thrilled. I honestly think Brad fits best in the college game. He develops players, he is a great coach, he runs great sets and makes good adjustments...but the NBA success just comes down to superstars...and coaching more to managing your superstars happiness. I'm sure he will last more than a year...I don't see him as a place holder but I don't think unless he makes some incredible moves and puts this team back on championship path he will last as the GM. Not sure this gradual build/tinker thing is going to work for the Celtics. They want/expect results with the talent they have. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Don't run Billy D out of Chicago! He is close to turning the corner with the Bulls. 

I do think they will make some moves this offseason to put themselves in the playoffs. They didn't acquire Vucevic to mentor this team. They want to make some noise. I think they will move their pick and package a deal for some help to make that happen.

• Like 1

Celtics just didn't seem to have fight. Kind of laid down. Don't get me wrong...they weren't going to win but Kyrie stomping on the logo and they didn't retaliate or send a message the next game. You think Bird, Mchale, or Parrish and those others would let that stand? Then Smart after the game saying they don't need to make any changes they are ok....maybe the NBA is just all one big AAU league to these guys now. Get my money and lets all be friends and we will run it up and down the court and winner gets next. smh

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas  so who is your candidate to coach next year?

No clue yet. I need to take a look at the realistic candidates. I've heard names like Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd (no thanks), Juwan Howard (works for me on multiple levels 🤣)) and a few others, but it's a little early. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No clue yet. I need to take a look at the realistic candidates. I've heard names like Chauncey Billups, Jason Kidd (no thanks), Juwan Howard (works for me on multiple levels 🤣)) and a few others, but it's a little early. 

I think Chauncey would work perfectly. Would also have probably the best X and O GM in the game lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like the Juwan Howard idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Celtic fans were giddy until they get to the part of the article where Stevens is taking over for Ainge. Not saying they know anything about running a team or coaching but they wanted both out. Maybe its just the vocal majority on the internet but I don't think the avg joe is thrilled. I honestly think Brad fits best in the college game. He develops players, he is a great coach, he runs great sets and makes good adjustments...but the NBA success just comes down to superstars...and coaching more to managing your superstars happiness. I'm sure he will last more than a year...I don't see him as a place holder but I don't think unless he makes some incredible moves and puts this team back on championship path he will last as the GM. Not sure this gradual build/tinker thing is going to work for the Celtics. They want/expect results with the talent they have. 

Most fans are idiots. Painting Stevens and Ainge as anything other than very successful is ridiculous. Ainge brought a championship and it really should have been 2-3 championships had KG and Perk (hurt knee in game 6 of the Finals in 2010) stayed healthy. He then engineered a turnaround that most thought would take years post the "Big 3" and they only missed the playoffs once and made the ECF 3-4 more times. 

Stevens also was incredibly successful. He often out-coached his roster. A few of his teams had no business making the ECF, and they were never rosters that people thought could legitimately win the title. He helped guys turn their careers around (IT, Evan Turner, Jae Crowder, etc.). You can say he had two "down" years (2018-19 and 2020-21) with one being railroaded by Kyrie and the other being railroaded by Covid (the Celtics were hit as bad as any team) and injuries. He should have been coach of the year at least once if not twice. 

I think wanting them gone is crazy. 

• Like 1