NBA Thread

1 hour ago, rico said:

1-9 from behind the arc?  I guess he was "feeling" it.

Looked like he tweeked his ankle in the first quarter. His jumper looked flat ever since. Mavs just need more help....Doncic was carrying them but by the time the 4th quarter arrived and Clippers really started cracking down he had no one that you could count to create their own shot. They didn't shoot well...but even when they do the problem isn't that they aren't good shooters...it's that Luka has to create everything for them. No one can get their own shot. Then, there are times when they just aren't hitting...and that is even worse. To be paying 30 million to Porzingas and you can't even throw him the ball and ask him to go make something happen....that's just disasterous. He can shoot/pick and pop etc but the guy can't make his own shot...Mavs have some retooling to do.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Looked like he tweeked his ankle in the first quarter. His jumper looked flat ever since. Mavs just need more help....Doncic was carrying them but by the time the 4th quarter arrived and Clippers really started cracking down he had no one that you could count to create their own shot. They didn't shoot well...but even when they do the problem isn't that they aren't good shooters...it's that Luka has to create everything for them. No one can get their own shot. Then, there are times when they just aren't hitting...and that is even worse. To be paying 30 million to Porzingas and you can't even throw him the ball and ask him to go make something happen....that's just disasterous. He can shoot/pick and pop etc but the guy can't make his own shot...Mavs have some retooling to do.

They do, they need another playmaker desperately. I personally think they play through Luka too much, despite how good he is. Letting Brunson create more offense, or even guys like Josh Richardson and Trey Burke, both of whom have proven they can make plays for others would benefit the team IMO. 

I know it's easy to say they need to move Porzingis, but until he shows more as a playmaker who is going to take that contact?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They do, they need another playmaker desperately. I personally think they play through Luka too much, despite how good he is. Letting Brunson create more offense, or even guys like Josh Richardson and Trey Burke, both of whom have proven they can make plays for others would benefit the team IMO. 

I know it's easy to say they need to move Porzingis, but until he shows more as a playmaker who is going to take that contact?

Luka is a phenomenal player, and already on his way to potentially becoming an all-time great, but when I watch Dallas I wonder sometimes if it is becoming a bit of an Iverson/Sixers situation where you just had to build the entire roster around Iverson and there wasn't room another playmaker because he was so ball dominant. 

Remember that Sixers team that went to the Finals, their only other star was Mutumbo who was not an offensive player really, then they surrounded Iverson with guys like Eric Snow, Aaron McKie and Tyrone Hill. 

Obviously in this day and age you can't build a roster with defensive-only guys like that, you'd have to do it with high level 3 and D guys. But, I do wonder if Luka is too ball dominant to add another playmaker? Does he want to share those duties at this point?

Maybe a guy that would fit great might be someone like Fred VanVleet? I believe he's a free agent, or did he resign with Toronto last offseason? He'd be an upgrade over Brunson with similar skills. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Good point. I thought the Smith-Finney guy played well. Agree too much standing around watching and waiting on one man to make offense for everyone. As great as he is...and he is that...just not enough. 

In the NBA there is always a way. What about a Porzingis for Kemba Walker trade? Boston would likely have to throw in a young player and future pick and Dallas salary but that could be a fresh look for both teams. Kemba can spell Luka but also can spot up off ball. Maybe its a sign and trade of Hardaway Jr. and Porzingis to Boston for Smart and Kemba. Both want to get rid of bad contracts.

I think another team to watch is Portland. They have to go big. Say sign and trade Powell plus Covington and either draft picks or say Nassir Little for Porzingis....that would leave Dallas Hardaway salary to either resign or go out and and get front court help. 

Whatever the case...whether Washington or some other team is going to need to make a splash...or they are going to have to move off their superstars. They can't keep playing the middle ground...a suitor can be found.

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Luka is a phenomenal player, and already on his way to potentially becoming an all-time great, but when I watch Dallas I wonder sometimes if it is becoming a bit of an Iverson/Sixers situation where you just had to build the entire roster around Iverson and there wasn't room another playmaker because he was so ball dominant. 

Remember that Sixers team that went to the Finals, their only other star was Mutumbo who was not an offensive player really, then they surrounded Iverson with guys like Eric Snow, Aaron McKie and Tyrone Hill. 

Obviously in this day and age you can't build a roster with defensive-only guys like that, you'd have to do it with high level 3 and D guys. But, I do wonder if Luka is too ball dominant to add another playmaker? Does he want to share those duties at this point?

Maybe a guy that would fit great might be someone like Fred VanVleet? I believe he's a free agent, or did he resign with Toronto last offseason? He'd be an upgrade over Brunson with similar skills. 

What about Kemba?

Oh and agree about having too much of the offense in his hands...his usage is off the chart. I don't think it is his selfishness though...they really don't have another creator on the team.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

What about Kemba?

You never know. I'd be surprised if Dallas would be interested in that, but it could be interesting. Kemba doesn't have to be ball dominant, he's willing to share, etc., but then it would give them a guy that can take over the PG reigns when Luka is out or just needs a possession or two off the ball. 

Kemba is a pretty big defensive liability though, so not sure how well that would work as backcourt with Luka. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You never know. I'd be surprised if Dallas would be interested in that, but it could be interesting. Kemba doesn't have to be ball dominant, he's willing to share, etc., but then it would give them a guy that can take over the PG reigns when Luka is out or just needs a possession or two off the ball. 

Kemba is a pretty big defensive liability though, so not sure how well that would work as backcourt with Luka. 

That is where Smart comes in....but of course you guys probably don't want to give up both your point guards....maybe have to get another team involved to take Hardaway and give you a point...but everybody needs a shake up at this point...and Porzingis would fit the third option very well running pick n pop with Brown and Tatum. 

Hey...you know me....I love nba trades more than nba basketball lol.

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That is where Smart comes in....but of course you guys probably don't want to give up both your point guards....maybe have to get another team involved to take Hardaway and give you a point...but everybody needs a shake up at this point...and Porzingis would fit the third option very well running pick n pop with Brown and Tatum. 

Hey...you know me....I love nba trades more than nba basketball lol.

I have seen some Celtics blogs sharing thoughts on the same scenario (Kemba for Portzingis).

• Like 1

Just saw a Kristaps for Myles swap.  I'll pass.  Kristaps isn't the same since his ACL injury.  Maybe I can be persuaded but right now its a tough sell.  FWIW on the NBA Trade Machine Kristaps for Lamb(salary filler)/Turner is acceptable, however, it shows Indy loses 6 more games and Mavericks wins 7 more 

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

I was looking at the 2018 NBA draft today...man gotta say that lottery is turning out some great talent. Minus Sacramento doing Sacramento things it looks like there is going to be several franchise players out of there.

1-Ayton 3 Doncic 4 J Jackson Jr 5 Trae Young 8 Sexton 10 Mikal Bridges 11 S-G Alexander 12 Miles Bridges 14 M Porter Jr.

Even late in the draft you have some really nice pieces Divenchenzo, R Williams, L Shamet, D Graham, S. Milton, D Melton...hoping this draft is just as deep for us Pacer fans...be nice to get a guy in the late lottery like was in this draft and pick up a good rotational guy in the second.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I was looking at the 2018 NBA draft today...man gotta say that lottery is turning out some great talent. Minus Sacramento doing Sacramento things it looks like there is going to be several franchise players out of there.

1-Ayton 3 Doncic 4 J Jackson Jr 5 Trae Young 8 Sexton 10 Mikal Bridges 11 S-G Alexander 12 Miles Bridges 14 M Porter Jr.

Even late in the draft you have some really nice pieces Divenchenzo, R Williams, L Shamet, D Graham, S. Milton, D Melton...hoping this draft is just as deep for us Pacer fans...be nice to get a guy in the late lottery like was in this draft and pick up a good rotational guy in the second.

I remember having this talk last year during the bubble and being told I was over hyping this class. I'm with you, it's an incredible class and will likely go down as the best since 03. Hard to think it could surpass that one, but ya never know 🤷

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

They got to get a 2nd star who can play with Luka.  Maybe that is still KP but they got to get him stronger.  If they blow up the team around Luka, THJ, DFS and the 4 rookies that would be fine by me. Kemba Walker would be a hard pass at 38 mil per year.  I doubt the Mavs would trade KP for him. It would be better to just play it out and see if he builds his strength up to handle the NBA grind. THJ is a FA so we'll see what he wants as far as salary.  If the Mavs let THJ go and Richardson opts out that opens a big salary slot for them to chase a FA.  FA class is kinda weak though.      He is only 25 and didn't they use to say bigs take longer to develop.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

They got to get a 2nd star who can play with Luka.  Maybe that is still KP but they got to get him stronger.  If they blow up the team around Luka, THJ, DFS and the 4 rookies that would be fine by me. Kemba Walker would be a hard pass at 38 mil per year.  I doubt the Mavs would trade KP for him. It would be better to just play it out and see if he builds his strength up to handle the NBA grind. THJ is a FA so we'll see what he wants as far as salary.  If the Mavs let THJ go and Richardson opts out that opens a big salary slot for them to chase a FA.  FA class is kinda weak though.      He is only 25 and didn't they use to say bigs take longer to develop.

I think if Richardson opts out, they could make a run at DeMar DeRozan before trying to resign THJ. The downside to DeRozan is that he isn't going to be a catch and shoot guy, but he can definitely be that second guy they need that can go get his own shot and can create for others. 

I think there will be trades available for Porzingis. There won't be a superstar out there for him but there will be a team that has a lot of pressure from say a star player or organization that wants to make a run at it before breaking up the team....so Portland makes sense (pick n roll with Lillard and McCollum) and Washington if they are going to try to keep Beal will have to do something to shake things up (have draft picks or Bertans, Bryant, and Hachimura) you got Boston, you have Charlotte desperate to make a splash.....and then there is always a team like Sacramento that does dumb deals and seem to love to collect big men. Hield for Porzingis works if Sacramento moves off Bagley like it seems they might do. Hield is always in trade talks I see. That would free up you guys to not re-sign THJ or even do a sign and trade with THJ for another wing...perhaps one that can take off the dribble. It's an awful contract given what he is providing and even if he get's stronger there doesn't seem to be a good fit between the two. Another trade I thought about was with Toronto. Porzingis plus picks for Siakam. Siakam just signed a huge deal but his 3pt shooting hasn't improved...he is still very good off the dribble and creating his own shot but I'm wondering if Toronto is having buyer remorse. They have OG who they need to expand his role and pick in roll with Porzingis should work very well with FVV and whomever they replace Lowry with. I think that is also one to watch closely. Siakam I think would pair nicely with Doncic. Resign Hardaway Jr......that has to be intriguing.

Edited by dgambill