NBA Thread

Tobias Harris for Kevin Love and Collin Sexton? Or maybe send Harris to Knicks for draft picks and send those to Cleveland? Not sure what they would do when Sextons contract comes up…but Sexton speed and offense might be a better fit especially if it allows Simmons to move to 4 ala Green in GS.

Happy Free Agency Day! 

Pacers expected to resign TJ McConnell.  Pacers would like to bring Doug back too, however, TJ's salary will impact the ability to bring Doug back and Doug is expected to earn a big pay day.  They have interest in Otto Porter, Malik Monk, Lou Williams and Nic Batum.  Pacers also wanting to trade Lamb.  

They envision Lou playing and scoring next to TJ, they had hoped Aaron would fill this role but never came to fruition.  Nic can guard multiple positions and still shoot the 3 as can Otto.  Otto's issue has been injuries for quite some time.  Monk can shoot the 3 and they want spacing. 

My money is on TJ returning and them using a majority of their MLE on Monk or Porter Jr but we shall see.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So far I like what Miami has done in free agency. Tough, veteran winners to add to Butler and Bam. Still have Herro and Robinson.

I like what Miami has done too, though I still think it leaves them behind Brooklyn and Milwaukee, and potentially Philly if Simmons figures it out. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I like what Miami has done too, though I still think it leaves them behind Brooklyn and Milwaukee, and potentially Philly if Simmons figures it out. 

Agreed. Feel like 3rd best. Not sure if Lowry is worth 30 million a year. I like the toughness and dog mentality if they are healthy come playoff time. They do still hold Tyler Herro as a trade asset if the right deal should come along to maybe put them on a competitive tier with those two…and PJ is no small loss for the Bucks. I suspect they will also be a destination team for a lot of buyout guys.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I guess I don't understand how the salary cap works.  On the NBA network just now said the Heat had no salary room yet they were able to sign and trade for all of these players.  I know on the trade the salaries has to match but they were still able to sign other players

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I don't understand how the salary cap works.  On the NBA network just now said the Heat had no salary room yet they were able to sign and trade for all of these players.  I know on the trade the salaries has to match but they were still able to sign other players

Who else did the get? They'll do a S&T for Lowry and Duncan Robinson was their own players so the salary cap doesn't matter there. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Who else did the get? They'll do a S&T for Lowry and Duncan Robinson was their own players so the salary cap doesn't matter there. 

PJ Tucker at 2/15 and signed Butler to a max extension.

I guess it is just frustrating as a Pacers fan this time of the year.  When you know they won't go over the salary cap and see all of these other teams making huge signings is just frustrating

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

PJ Tucker at 2/15 and signed Butler to a max extension.

I guess it is just frustrating as a Pacers fan this time of the year.  When you know they won't go over the salary cap and see all of these other teams making huge signings is just frustrating

Like Robinson, Butler was their own free agent so the cap doesn't come into play, though the luxury tax does. 

Tucker was signed with a piece of Miami's mid-level exception, which any team over the cap can do. 

The difference between the Heat and Pacers is that the Heat are trying to won a title and are willing to invest to do it, the Pacers aren't. 

• Like 1

Like the pacers news.  TJ brings defense intensity.  He can't shoot threes, however, surrounding him with guys that are respectable 3pt shooters such as Justin Holiday/Torrey Craig/Duarte/Oshae is good.  Pacers def wanted to re-establish some sort of defense presence and they did that with their moves yesterday evening.  

Brogdon/LeVert/Warren/Sabonis/Turner

McConnell/Holiday/Duarte/Craig/Oshae/Goga

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Like Robinson, Butler was their own free agent so the cap doesn't come into play, though the luxury tax does. 

Tucker was signed with a piece of Miami's mid-level exception, which any team over the cap can do. 

The difference between the Heat and Pacers is that the Heat are trying to won a title and are willing to invest to do it, the Pacers aren't. 

Difference between them also is location.  Lowery wanted to go to Miami, he'd never consider Indiana.  PJ Tucker wanted to go to Miami, would have never considered Indiana regardless of the money thrown either of their way.  Agree about Miami willing to spend into lux tax, pacers never have and never will

40 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Difference between them also is location.  Lowery wanted to go to Miami, he'd never consider Indiana.  PJ Tucker wanted to go to Miami, would have never considered Indiana regardless of the money thrown either of their way.  Agree about Miami willing to spend into lux tax, pacers never have and never will

So you are saying that Miami has better "night clubs" than Indy?

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Location definitely plays a factor, but I also view the Pacers as a franchise that is going to pretty much play it safe financially and not willing to go "all in" when it comes to the luxury tax when they have a chance to go for it. 

• Like 2