NBA Thread

Going to post this here because I’m going to make an NBA analogy…so Messi just signed with PSG in Ligue 1. He will be teaming up with an all star class of players. Essentially this is like Lebron, Durant, Harden, Lillard, and like Rudy Gobert teaming up and playing in the g league. Just crazy!

image.png

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Where has that Romeo been???! Geez.

I know! They were talking about him a decent amount during the broadcast. Franschilla was talking about how Langford needs to find something to hang his hat on in the NBA. Right now he's just somewhat average at a couple things, but not really good at any one thing. 

Compared to a guy like Aaron Nesmith who is a similar place in the league, but as a role player Nesmith is a great shooter and can build a career around that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I know! They were talking about him a decent amount during the broadcast. Franschilla was talking about how Langford needs to find something to hang his hat on in the NBA. Right now he's just somewhat average at a couple things, but not really good at any one thing. 

Compared to a guy like Aaron Nesmith who is a similar place in the league, but as a role player Nesmith is a great shooter and can build a career around that. 

I really think Romeo has the ability to be a Demar Derozan type player honestly. Deep down he has that athletic and basketball IQ to make plays for himself and others and just do so many things right. He can get to so many places on the floor and score. Probably never a great 3 pt shooter but kind of that jack of all trades. That however is if he ever finds his legs and his confidence.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

I really think Romeo has the ability to be a Demar Derozan type player honestly. Deep down he has that athletic and basketball IQ to make plays for himself and others and just do so many things right. He can get to so many places on the floor and score. Probably never a great 3 pt shooter but kind of that jack of all trades. That however is if he ever finds his legs and his confidence.

Believe me, I'd LOVE to see it happen as much as anyone being both an IU fan and a Celtics fan, but I just don't see it yet. I honestly think there's a better chance he's out of the league/fighting to stay in it than it is that he's a Demar Derozen type player. I hate to say that, but after watching him the last three years (1 at IU and 2 with Boston), he has to make some major, major strides. 

Most of the time he's just out there. I mean he can literally go 5-6 minutes of playing time and never even touch the ball or do anything that makes an impact. As Franchilla said, he lacks any kind of skill offensively to hang his hat on. 

In the NBA he actually can't get so many places on the court to score, his handles and his shot (both mid-range and 3pt line) aren't close to good enough for that at this level yet (yet being the keyword of course). But he literally can go a 5+ minute stretch of playing time and not only not score, but not even touch the ball. He's just way too complacent on that end. 

He also doesn't finish well at the rim like he did in college. I completely understand he's been hampered by injuries, but in 50 NBA games he's averaging 3ppg, shooting 35% from the field overall and 22% from the 3pt line. Again, I get the injuries but that is not promising for a lottery pick. 

I'm rooting for him as much as anyone, and I don't want to seem like I'm hating on him, but as an IU/Celtics fan I watch him closely and I just don't even see glimpses or flashes yet which is worrisome.  

With all of that said, this is a massive year (year 3) for him. I'm pulling for him in a big way, and I hope finally having a healthy offseason pay big dividends and he realizes the potential. 

I do worry that Nesmith passes him by because he's an elite shooter, and then the Celtics now also have Josh Richardson, Kris Dunn and Schroder in the backcourt along with Jaylen Brown, Smart and Prichard.  Minutes are going to be competitive to get. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Believe me, I'd LOVE to see it happen as much as anyone being both an IU fan and a Celtics fan, but I just don't see it yet. I honestly think there's a better chance he's out of the league/fighting to stay in it than it is that he's a Demar Derozen type player. I hate to say that, but after watching him the last three years (1 at IU and 2 with Boston), he has to make some major, major strides. 

Most of the time he's just out there. I mean he can literally go 5-6 minutes of playing time and never even touch the ball or do anything that makes an impact. As Franchilla said, he lacks any kind of skill offensively to hang his hat on. 

In the NBA he actually can't get so many places on the court to score, his handles and his shot (both mid-range and 3pt line) aren't close to good enough for that at this level yet (yet being the keyword of course). But he literally can go a 5+ minute stretch of playing time and not only not score, but not even touch the ball. He's just way too complacent on that end. 

He also doesn't finish well at the rim like he did in college. I completely understand he's been hampered by injuries, but in 50 NBA games he's averaging 3ppg, shooting 35% from the field overall and 22% from the 3pt line. Again, I get the injuries but that is not promising for a lottery pick. 

I'm rooting for him as much as anyone, and I don't want to seem like I'm hating on him, but as an IU/Celtics fan I watch him closely and I just don't even see glimpses or flashes yet which is worrisome.  

With all of that said, this is a massive year (year 3) for him. I'm pulling for him in a big way, and I hope finally having a healthy offseason pay big dividends and he realizes the potential. 

I do worry that Nesmith passes him by because he's an elite shooter, and then the Celtics now also have Josh Richardson, Kris Dunn and Schroder in the backcourt along with Jaylen Brown, Smart and Prichard.  Minutes are going to be competitive to get. 

I think he needs a change of scenery. Problem with very very young players on more established teams who like last year have multiple all-stars and established players in established roles (Smart, Walker, Tatum, Brown) is that he is not put in position to have the ball in his hands and asked to make plays and learn and grow. What happens if he is in Cleveland, OKC, Sacramento....teams that absolutely suck. They play their young guys and not only that they put the ball in their hands and say make plays. He basically plays a role that he all too often was asked to do at IU....stand in a corner on offense and play defense. Injuries basically have robbed him of any true growth but I do think if he was unfettered he would find and develop more pieces of his game. Of course I think Derozan is his ceiling...but I do think he can be that kind of player and have that kind of impact. On a team like Boston any player with a specialized skill can be a plug and play type player. Carve out a role. I think it's going to be hard for him to do that. Boston needs shooters and he really isn't that yet. 

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Helluva post my friend.  TY

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think he needs a change of scenery. Problem with very very young players on more established teams who like last year have multiple all-stars and established players in established roles (Smart, Walker, Tatum, Brown) is that he is not put in position to have the ball in his hands and asked to make plays and learn and grow. What happens if he is in Cleveland, OKC, Sacramento....teams that absolutely suck. They play their young guys and not only that they put the ball in their hands and say make plays. He basically plays a role that he all too often was asked to do at IU....stand in a corner on offense and play defense. Injuries basically have robbed him of any true growth but I do think if he was unfettered he would find and develop more pieces of his game. Of course I think Derozan is his ceiling...but I do think he can be that kind of player and have that kind of impact. On a team like Boston any player with a specialized skill can be a plug and play type player. Carve out a role. I think it's going to be hard for him to do that. Boston needs shooters and he really isn't that yet. 

Is it possible that maybe the problem with Romeo isn't that coaches put him in the corner, but he puts himself in the corner? 

I really want to see him be successful but he doesn't really have anything to hang his hat on at all. He is a bad shooter than could maybe get to average, he doesn't have good handles for a guard, he has maybe slightly above average athleticism but nothing to special, he isn't particularly big for a guy who can't play point at all, and perhaps worst is that I don't think he has any idea how to be anything other than a number 1 option.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Is it possible that maybe the problem with Romeo isn't that coaches put him in the corner, but he puts himself in the corner? 

I really want to see him be successful but he doesn't really have anything to hang his hat on at all. He is a bad shooter than could maybe get to average, he doesn't have good handles for a guard, he has maybe slightly above average athleticism but nothing to special, he isn't particularly big for a guy who can't play point at all, and perhaps worst is that I don't think he has any idea how to be anything other than a number 1 option.

Overrated?

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, I don't buy the "Archie is an idiot for how he used Langford and just put him in the corner" stuff. I've watched Langford play 50 NBA games across two seasons and all he does on offense with the Celtics is run right to the corner and stand there. If the ball comes to his side then he runs away baseline to the opposite corner. 

I could buy the thinking that Langford doesn't get opportunity in Boston because of Tatum, Brown, Kemba, Smart, etc., but when Nesmith comes in and when Semi Ojeleye would come in those guys play the same role and they don't just stand in the corner. They get themselves involved, it's as secondary options, but they get involved. 

Even in Summer League, he's a 3rd year lottery pick and while he hasn't played bad or anything, he still stands in the corner a lot and he's certainly behind Pritchard, Nesmith and Carson Edwards in terms of his involvement offensively. A 3rd year lottery pick that is about to take a leap should be putting big numbers in summer league. 

They did let Langford play PG part of the 3rd quarter of their 2nd game, which was really good to see, but he did not look too comfortable. 

I hope like crazy that he makes that big leap and I'm rooting for him, I just haven't seen anything in 50 games to lead me to believe it's going to happen. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

So far the Pacers Duarte looks like he might be a good one for them. It's just summer league so you have to pump the brakes a little but he has been one of the best players there. 

I have been hearing good things about him as well.  Perhaps the Pacers lucked into a superstar?

• Like 1