NBA Thread

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Rose and his sorry A$$ should be fired immediately.  For anyone to make up a quote saying someone used that word is absolutely disgusting.  Rose has been a fraud since he was in high school but ESPN are a bunch of wusses 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10017826-jalen-rose-apologizes-for-comments-about-suns-robert-sarver-on-nba-countdown

I agree totally. I couldn't stand the jerk in college. Obnoxious as hell in my opinion. 

57 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I agree totally. I couldn't stand the jerk in college. Obnoxious as hell in my opinion. 

What do you think should happen to Sarver who actually said the word in a different setting if Rose should be fired for erroneously saying he said it? Surely actually saying it is worse, no?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

What do you think should happen to Sarver who actually said the word in a different setting if Rose should be fired for erroneously saying he said it? Surely actually saying it is worse, no?

Of course it is and just like the old owner of the Clippers, he should be removed from his ownership of the team and dealt with harshly. There is no place in our society that what he did if guilty is acceptable.

Rose has a journalistic responsibility to uphold and he failed and should be removed from his position. To add to our discussion from yesterday it is not a race issue its an across the board issue. Thom Brennaman rightfully was fired for what he said was his statement in line with Rose said, that's up for debate and interpretation but it is in the same category for sure. 

How does one exactly, "erroneously" make up a quote. Either Sarver said it or he didn't. 

What Sarver said is pure ignorance as is what Rose said. Neither are acceptable and should not be tolerated. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Of course it is and just like the old owner of the Clippers, he should be removed from his ownership of the team and dealt with harshly. There is no place in our society that what he did if guilty is acceptable.

Rose has a journalistic responsibility to uphold and he failed and should be removed from his position. To add to our discussion from yesterday it is not a race issue its an across the board issue. Thom Brennaman rightfully was fired for what he said was his statement in line with Rose said, that's up for debate and interpretation but it is in the same category for sure. 

How does one exactly, "erroneously" make up a quote. Either Sarver said it or he didn't. 

What Sarver said is pure ignorance as is what Rose said. Neither are acceptable and should not be tolerated. 

But you didn’t say anything about punishing Sarver, who did say that word, but you had no problem saying Rose should be fired and bringing up the race card. 

We can have a discussion about journalistic integrity and if people should be fired for erroneous reporting and saying pretty crappy things. I’d imagine we would agree about more than we would disagree, but the fact remains lots of journalist report crappy, untrue things and don’t lose their job regardless of skin color. Sometimes we even give Medals of Freedom to such individuals. I don’t like it, but it is what it is. 

And just as an FYI, erroneously means something is wrong. Some synonyms for it are false, unfounded or untrue. I think that’s a fair description of what Rose said, don’t you?

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But you didn’t say anything about punishing Sarver, who did say that word, but you had no problem saying Rose should be fired and bringing up the race card. 

We can have a discussion about journalistic integrity and if people should be fired for erroneous reporting and saying pretty crappy things. I’d imagine we would agree about more than we would disagree, but the fact remains lots of journalist report crappy, untrue things and don’t lose their job regardless of skin color. Sometimes we even give Medals of Freedom to such individuals. I don’t like it, but it is what it is. 

And just as an FYI, erroneously means something is wrong. Some synonyms for it are false, unfounded or untrue. I think that’s a fair description of what Rose said, don’t you?

I disagree. Had I said it was fine for Sarver to say what he did but not for Rose that would be bringing up the race card. The story was not  about what Sarver said. Most rational people would agree Sarver needs to be punished harshly . I did not think I needed to say that but since I didn't I will say that he should be out. 

Would Ernie Johnson be given a pass had he said what Rose did?? Think what you want but I judge people on their actions, their words and not on any appearance,  sex, race, or anything else. What 1 person gets reprimanded so should anyone else regardless. I judge everyone the same.

Thank you for the English lesson today I feel just a little more intelligent.😀

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know enough about the situation to make a judgement. I do believe that a person is innocent until proven guilty. I get tired of someone being accused of something and in today's society they are guilty until proven innocent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It must be pretty cool to respond with laughing emojis when people answer your questions. I wish i were just a fraction as cool or woke or whatever it is that everyone that disagrees with me I just laugh at. There is a word or 2 in your vast vocabulary that I am sure you could fill in there with. 

How else should I respond? There’s nothing productive to say. I tried to walk away and let you guys rope me in. 

11 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

It must be pretty cool to respond with laughing emojis when people answer your questions. I wish i were just a fraction as cool or woke or whatever it is that everyone that disagrees with me I just laugh at. There is a word or 2 in your vast vocabulary that I am sure you could fill in there with. 

You can't fix stupid!

16 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

The laugh emoji is a plague upon today's society in certain context.

36 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You got to give fans a compelling reason to follow them and come to games. More of the same when the same is mediocrity isn't going to cut it. The Pacers were so lucky to have a guy like Reggie Miller. Don't get me wrong Stars sell tickets in ALL sports....but Basketball especially. There are only 5 guys on the court....you need a guy that can do something special and fans rally around. You had Reggie play for basically two decades.....then you had a special talent like Paul George....Victor was about to give us that something special but his career was derailed. As much as we all love Sabonis he is basically a blue collar/working man's player...not really flashy special. Not only is the team pretty average at best it lacks that identity and star power to draw young fans in. Kids that grow up wearing a Reggie Miller/PG/Peyton Manning jersey and drag their parents to go see a game. I have been to several Pacer regular season games and they were never sell out....on top of it a good portion of the fans maybe 20% were always away fans.....I remember I went to a Laker/Pacer game and there were more Kobe jerseys then Pacer jerseys. If the Pacers aren't on tv then kids are going to be fans of guys they see on tv. Success comes and goes....the team will get better....but a star will carry you even when the team isn't winning. Pacers need a star desperately for that.....they need an identity. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You got to give fans a compelling reason to follow them and come to games. More of the same when the same is mediocrity isn't going to cut it. The Pacers were so lucky to have a guy like Reggie Miller. Don't get me wrong Stars sell tickets in ALL sports....but Basketball especially. There are only 5 guys on the court....you need a guy that can do something special and fans rally around. You had Reggie play for basically two decades.....then you had a special talent like Paul George....Victor was about to give us that something special but his career was derailed. As much as we all love Sabonis he is basically a blue collar/working man's player...not really flashy special. Not only is the team pretty average at best it lacks that identity and star power to draw young fans in. Kids that grow up wearing a Reggie Miller/PG/Peyton Manning jersey and drag their parents to go see a game. I have been to several Pacer regular season games and they were never sell out....on top of it a good portion of the fans maybe 20% were always away fans.....I remember I went to a Laker/Pacer game and there were more Kobe jerseys then Pacer jerseys. If the Pacers aren't on tv then kids are going to be fans of guys they see on tv. Success comes and goes....the team will get better....but a star will carry you even when the team isn't winning. Pacers need a star desperately for that.....they need an identity. 

Exactly and that is my point with posting that. Hopefully Simons learn that there are to many others things to occupy time other than watching a mediocre team year after year.  Hopefully IU learned that and the Colts are treading on some thin ice as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agree.  They have a lot of great young talent that could build into something really great as this season goes along, but the team lacks that person who has charisma and showmanship.  Lance Stephenson wasn't a star, but he was must watch during his time with the team for how he played on the court and engaged with the fans while on the court.  Outside of Myles, you don't really see any of the players out and about in the city with billboards, etc.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly and that is my point with posting that. Hopefully Simons learn that there are to many others things to occupy time other than watching a mediocre team year after year.  Hopefully IU learned that and the Colts are treading on some thin ice as well. 

Colts more or less just have to win to put people in the seasts. Don't get me wrong....watching a star qb will draw in fans alone but even a team led by their defense is identifiable with fans if they win....basketball is a star driven sport....and is more about entertainment and showmanship then just grinding out 50 win seasons and first round exits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bronkonagurski said:

Yeah my own interest in the Pacers has dwindled in recent years. At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old man, it just isn't like it used to be. Not having a definitive star to rally around like Reggie/PG/VO and instead just an average at best team that gets spanked when they squeak into the playoffs, meh.

Yep there isn’t a compelling must see guy on the roster. Don’t get me wrong if we had a contender that didn’t have a superstar I think they would get the support but man…not being good and not having a must see star…depressing….and that’s why we aren’t in national tv more…no tune in factor.

Random thought, but besides the Celtics who aren't really a title contender, I'm loving seeing the Warriors "back" and am rooting for them to win the title. 

They're so fun to watch again and I'd love to see Curry get a 2nd non-KD ring and his first post-KD when everyone was touting the Nets and Lakers. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Random thought, but besides the Celtics who aren't really a title contender, I'm loving seeing the Warriors "back" and am rooting for them to win the title. 

They're so fun to watch again and I'd love to see Curry get a 2nd non-KD ring and his first post-KD when everyone was touting the Nets and Lakers. 

It’s such an enjoyable team to watch. Steph is an All-Time great for how he has impacted the offensive end of the court (not just shooting) and Draymond, at least in my book, is an All-Timer on defense. So much basketball IQ on that team. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yep...they went from lovable team to hated team and now back to lovable again. I really really think they will move some young guys (some combo of Wiseman/Kuminga/Mooney) and a pick or two to bring in one more star though. They have to go all in again and give it one more shot at winning it all with these guys.

FYI....Thompson is back playing 5 on 5. Should be able to play by Christmas....he might not ever be the same lock down defender but that shot still looks pure.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...they went from lovable team to hated team and now back to lovable again. I really really think they will move some young guys (some combo of Wiseman/Kuminga/Mooney) and a pick or two to bring in one more star though. They have to go all in again and give it one more shot at winning it all with these guys.

FYI....Thompson is back playing 5 on 5. Should be able to play by Christmas....he might not ever be the same lock down defender but that shot still looks pure.

Before the season I would have agreed, but now I'm not so sure they need to make a move. 

Curry is playing like an MVP, Draymond seems revitalized, Wiggins has taken a step, and Poole has taken a leap, and they don't even have Wiseman or whatever Thompson will be yet. 

I think they may make a move around the edges (maybe Moody and/or Kabinga), but I don't see them messing with what they have unless Wiseman comes back and they don't think he's ready to help them. 

If Wiseman can be a poor man's DeAndre Ayton from the Sun's run last season, then I'm not sure anyone can beat GS. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Before the season I would have agreed, but now I'm not so sure they need to make a move. 

Curry is playing like an MVP, Draymond seems revitalized, Wiggins has taken a step, and Poole has taken a leap, and they don't even have Wiseman or whatever Thompson will be yet. 

I think they may make a move around the edges (maybe Moody and/or Kabinga), but I don't see them messing with what they have unless Wiseman comes back and they don't think he's ready to help them. 

If Wiseman can be a poor man's DeAndre Ayton from the Sun's run last season, then I'm not sure anyone can beat GS. 

They need to keep Wiseman and see what he can give them for sure. Nothing before they see what they have all together. Defintitely have a heater in Poole (ala Jordan Clarkson) but the two picks they took this year....I do think they should consider a package with a future pick to shore up the front court. That said...with the way Myles Turner has played this year.....could you imagine if they revisit that trade??? Pacers really should entertain that thought!

Edited by dgambill

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't know they would move Kaminga.  I've been watching them and he really brings the D and energy in the minutes he has started receiving in the last 3 games.  I think they found a player there. I like Wiseman but Kaminga seems like more of keeper to me even if the sample size is small.  Seems if you slide in Klay at SF, Wiggins would offer a lot of trade value in talent and salary if they feel they need to make a big move. Porter and Iggy provide depth. 

Seem they could use a vet big to pair with Wiseman but right now I think they should stand pat and makes moves based on any potential injury that might pop up.  If the Pels keep losing after Zion returns might they part with Valenciunis.  I know they extended him  a couple years but that should make his trade value better.