NBA Thread

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Meant to reply to your other part too. Yeah, Celtics-Bucks should be a great series. Honestly, I think that's really the ECF. They're the two best teams in the East. 

It will be a tough one though, Giannis is just so hard to defend, and almost impossible when he's getting all the whistles. 

Should be fun to watch. 

The ECF matchups are weird to think about. I agree, whoever wins the Celts/Bucks should be the favorite, but I do think Philly could beat either of them because of Embiid, but I'm not sure Philly can beat the Heat because of what Jimmy Butler is going to do to James Harden.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

1A/1B…I think at that point is was pick your poison. That said their greatness still surpasses what we get from Giannis. Giannis is amazing and most dominant player in the League right now…but more like how Shaq was. Dominates with his length and athleticism and being a physical freak more so than skill. I mean a 4 time scoring champion is still pretty special given Durants body of work. Anyways I’m a Durant fan (basketball player wise) but can easily tell he is no longer in the prime of his game….but even less than that he can still win another title…just should pick better teammates. I’ll never figure out how Lebron won with Kyrie….that one should count as two titles lol.

It's honestly a bit early to compare Giannis to KD from a career standpoint, considering Giannis is just now entering his prime. Giannis could very well make that a laughable conversation over the next 6 years. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It's honestly a bit early to compare Giannis to KD from a career standpoint, considering Giannis is just now entering his prime. Giannis could very well make that a laughable conversation over the next 6 years. 

No doubt…if he keeps improving his jumper it won’t even be a question.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Correct. Giannis is only been better than Durant for about a year and a half and even that half year Durant played equally out of his mind last year.

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Correct. Giannis is only been better than Durant for about a year and a half and even that half year Durant played equally out of his mind last year.

I would say it's more like 3 years. Over the last 3 years Giannis has 2 MVP's, 1 DPOY, 1 Title and 1 Finals MVP over that span. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I would say it's more like 3 years. Over the last 3 years Giannis has 2 MVP's, 1 DPOY, 1 Title and 1 Finals MVP over that span. 

Agreed. The stats going back to KDs last year in GS all lean towards Giannis, too. He has him beat in points, rebounds, steals, blocks, eFG%... and has played almost 100 more games and won all the accolades you mentioned. 

The crazy thing is that's going back to when Giannis was 24 and KD was 30, so Giannis passing KD happened during KDs prime and before Giannis. I understand the injury to KD is a big factor there, but it happened and it's how things played out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Giannis still worries me a ton, but definitely a break here for the Celtics.

That's significant. I think it makes it really hard for the Bucks to go small without Middleton and obviously their shooting will suffer (not that all of their bigs can't stroke it too). 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

3 years ago he still had no shot and was able to be fenced off and eliminated.  Last year he became the clear undisputed unicorn.  

Just eye test and spit balling my opinion on the shift.  

Just now, KoB2011 said:

That's significant. I think it makes it really hard for the Bucks to go small without Middleton and obviously their shooting will suffer (not that all of their bigs can't stroke it too). 

Definitely significant, but when you have the best player in the world sometimes you can overcome those things. 

I think this is a fascinating series. Giannis is Giannis and the Bucks have really good role players around him, even without Middleton. 

On the flip side, the Celtics are one of the few teams, especially with Robert Williams back, that can match up going big and match up going small and not really lose anything. 

Obviously nobody really matches up with Giannis, but the Celtics are one of the few teams with multiple defenders and looks they can throw at him. 

It should be a great series. I still lean Bucks, but the Middleton thing is big. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

3 years ago he still had no shot and was able to be fenced off and eliminated.  Last year he became the clear undisputed unicorn.  

Just eye test and spit balling my opinion on the shift.  

Absolutely! Fun stuff to debate and chat about. Agree with you on Giannis' improvement and specifically his shooting over the last year+. 

I just think that's a different conversation than whether or not he was better than Durant before last season. I think the numbers and the hardware show it's been more like 3 years that he's been better than Durant. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The ECF matchups are weird to think about. I agree, whoever wins the Celts/Bucks should be the favorite, but I do think Philly could beat either of them because of Embiid, but I'm not sure Philly can beat the Heat because of what Jimmy Butler is going to do to James Harden.

I actually would view the Heat as a tougher out than the Sixers. Obviously, Embiid is a bigger challenge and difference maker than anyone on Miami, but I just think Miami is so tough and physical. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Help me out you NBA guys. Were the Heat supposed to win that series? Or they just catching fire with healthy Victor helping things out? Was going to start watching them but realized they have almost an entire week off before their 2nd round games start.

Miami is the #1 seed in the East and Atlanta was the 8th seed and had a really disappointing season. 

It's great to see Oladipo back and contributing, but he's not remotely the reason the Heat are where they are. He's a "nice to have" addition. He actually didn't play much in the series until the last 2 games. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Miami is the #1 seed in the East and Atlanta was the 8th seed and had a really disappointing season. 

It's great to see Oladipo back and contributing, but he's not remotely the reason the Heat are where they are. He's a "nice to have" addition. He actually didn't play much in the series until the last 2 games. 

Wow....what a dumb question on my part. Didn't realize the Heat were #1 seed haha....makes sense though. Fun team to watch and I'm always a fan of anything associated with The Godfather. Funny how Riley keeps reinventing Miami every so often.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! Fun stuff to debate and chat about. Agree with you on Giannis' improvement and specifically his shooting over the last year+. 

I just think that's a different conversation than whether or not he was better than Durant before last season. I think the numbers and the hardware show it's been more like 3 years that he's been better than Durant. 

I don't have a problem with that because of the Durant Achilles.  

Lebron was and really is still a top 5 player in the league and going back 3 years, even though not the mvp, was probably the best in the league still, with or without mvp, he got The trophy.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I don't have a problem with that because of the Durant Achilles.  

Lebron was and really is still a top 5 player in the league and going back 3 years, even though not the mvp, was probably the best in the league still, with or without mvp, he got The trophy.  

Agrew, LeBron was still the best player in the league 3 years ago even with Giannis winning MVP. But, IMO Giannis had passed Durant at that point

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone listens to Dan Patrick on here but he had Allen Iverson on this morning. Admittedly I'm a big AI fan...the same way I loved Skiles at Sparty was the same reason I loved AI at Georgetown. Just a chip to their already great play.

Worth a listen. He had a one liner that was pretty funny about him being asked why he didn't lift weights ever. Said they were to heavy. Haha....but he did circle back around and say he always wished he would have embraced weights more. 

• Haha 2