NBA Thread

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wait, you're saying a team with Draymond Green doesn't flop and complain?

Green easily could/should have 3-4 more technicals in this series, yet only had one. 

Again, I haven't complained about what Boston has been called for (other than the T's), I've complained what the Warriors aren't getting called for. 

And that stretch I was referring to was awful officiating. 

Yes, Draymond is the worst offender. But he is one guy - the Celtics basically throw a team full of guys (sans Horford) that flop and complain constantly. 

The stretch was certainly bad, but not as much as you're saying. 

1. The play at the end of the third should have been a foul and given Tatum two free throws, but we have no idea if GSW hits the three or not after that. They'd have had more time with the ball than they ended up having when they hit it.
  2. The Thompson three - I'm fine with a no call. Smart was all over him, there was some push off to create space but there was also a flop to sell it. You can't really complain they didn't call a push off when your guy fouled him at least twice before it.
  3. The tech is an accumulation of Smart complaining and flopping all the time, despite at that point the Celtics being called for 6 less fouls. It's human nature for the refs to get sick of that. 

I know you're not complaining about what the Celtics are getting called for, you're complain about the missed calls that the Warriors aren't getting called for. But you're not pointing out all the Celtics are getting away with, they're missing things both ways. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I mean, we're handing out T's like candy today, but I guess not on Draymond or the Warriors. 

Probably should have gotten one, but his 5th and 6th fouls also probably weren't fouls. 

They're missing things both ways, overall I don't really think one team is getting favored by the refs. That's my only point here. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Yes, Draymond is the worst offender. But he is one guy - the Celtics basically throw a team full of guys (sans Horford) that flop and complain constantly. 

The stretch was certainly bad, but not as much as you're saying. 

1. The play at the end of the third should have been a foul and given Tatum two free throws, but we have no idea if GSW hits the three or not after that. They'd have had more time with the ball than they ended up having when they hit it.
  2. The Thompson three - I'm fine with a no call. Smart was all over him, there was some push off to create space but there was also a flop to sell it. You can't really complain they didn't call a push off when your guy fouled him at least twice before it.
  3. The tech is an accumulation of Smart complaining and flopping all the time, despite at that point the Celtics being called for 6 less fouls. It's human nature for the refs to get sick of that. 

I know you're not complaining about what the Celtics are getting called for, you're complain about the missed calls that the Warriors aren't getting called for. But you're not pointing out all the Celtics are getting away with, they're missing things both ways. 

That ridiculous. Smart and Grant are the guys that flop. Tatum and Brown do not flop. Tatum is a superstar who get no respect, based on him only having 1 playoff game with 10+ free throws. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Probably should have gotten one, but his 5th and 6th fouls also probably weren't fouls. 

They're missing things both ways, overall I don't really think one team is getting favored by the refs. That's my only point here. 

I think that one stretch mid-4th quarter changed this getting in a big way. 

The Celtics were awful tonight. Tatum was awful again outside of his stretch in the early 3rd. Brown was awful. 

Lots of reasons they lost. They didn't lose because of the officiating, but the refs did essentially end the game with that awful stretch in the early/mid 4th.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics were awful tonight. Tatum was awful again outside of his stretch in the early 3rd. Brown was awful. 

Lots of reasons they lost. They didn't lose because of the officiating, but the refs did essentially end the game with that awful stretch in the early/mid 4th.

My last comment on the refs, so you can reply and have the last word. Did the stretch that was poor in the fourth end the game anymore than the stretch to start the third (the one you laughed about earlier in this thread) let the Celtics back in it? I mean it propelled the Celtics to winning the third by double digits when they’ve been getting crunched in the third.

Both teams, from my perspective, had a stretch in the second half where they went on a run and we’re getting some favorable calls. Both teams also executed and made shots in those stretches. Both of those stretches resulted in roughly a ten point swing.

Now I’ll shut up and listen on the refs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

My last comment on the refs, so you can reply and have the last word. Did the stretch that was poor in the fourth end the game anymore than the stretch to start the third (the one you laughed about earlier in this thread) let the Celtics back in it? I mean it propelled the Celtics to winning the third by double digits when they’ve been getting crunched in the third.

Both teams, from my perspective, had a stretch in the second half where they went on a run and we’re getting some favorable calls. Both teams also executed and made shots in those stretches. Both of those stretches resulted in roughly a ten point swing.

Now I’ll shut up and listen on the refs. 

Remember when you said the Warriors only have guy who flops? 

To your post, I'm trying to think of the horrible calls in the 3rd quarter stretch? I'm sure there was 1-2, but can't remember a specific bad really bad one or a stretch of several bad ones in a row. 

The refs got tighter in that stretch, no doubt, but I don't remember just terrible ones. 

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I love and understand your passion.  But things aren't looking good for the men in green.

Haha, thanks! Yeah, not looking good, but even going into last night I didn't think that was must win. 

Always thought this would be 7. Go win Game 6 at home, which is definitely doable, and then anything can happen in a Game 7. 

I still think Warriors win in 7 though, their experience is too much of a factor. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Why couldn’t they play Curry, Beal, and Klay? How’s it different than Curry, Poole, and Klay other than it’s better?

You saw last night why it isn’t better. Wiggins does all the dirty work and has the young legs and athleticism those 3 wouldn’t have. Plus if GS wins it all….they ain’t trading young assets…they are going to try to transition those young guys to replace the old guard. 
Beal is not a fit next to Curry and Thompson. Defensive nightmare.

So I purposely staying out of the refs thing…just tired of talking about them. I think overall they are pretty bad and have a hard lean to which ever team is the home team.

So my question…. @BGleas do you think your coach should have given Tatum and Brown more rest? They looked gassed. Steph looked gassed but Tatum even worse wasn’t even getting his shots to the rim late in the game. I’ve preached young legs will win but I think he has to give them more rest throughout the game. They honestly got back in the game pretty quick in the 3rd. No reason not to find more rest. Think a lot of the bad shot selection and turnovers late were result of tired legs.

I might have jumped on the Jason Tatum is a superstar too soon. Star no doubt but starting to see his flaws a little more. Maybe needs another year of growth and maturity to learn to make the right plays (has all the tools and athleticism though). Watching him go left and shoot is rough. Seemingly having to dribble before shooting to catch a rythem also something that can create issues. Right now it’s just experience and basketball iq that is holding him and Celtics back. I look for them to even it up in Boston though. That home crowd will be electric. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I might have jumped on the Jason Tatum is a superstar too soon. Star no doubt but starting to see his flaws a little more. Maybe needs another year of growth and maturity to learn to make the right plays (has all the tools and athleticism though). Watching him go left and shoot is rough. Seemingly having to dribble before shooting to catch a rythem also something that can create issues. Right now it’s just experience and basketball iq that is holding him and Celtics back. I look for them to even it up in Boston though. That home crowd will be electric. 

Can't get onboard with that. You can't call a guy a superstar for being 24 and the best player on a team that goes to the Finals and then pull it back because he doesn't win or doesn't dominate those Finals. 

Jokic and Embiid have never been out of the 2nd round. Luka has never been to the Finals. Paul George never has. Dame never has. 

The guy is 24, a 3-time all star and was just 1st Team All-NBA (actually the hardest thing outside of an MVP). He's broken a ton of Celtics playoff records, etc.

Does he still have things to work on? Sure, but so did all of the superstars at 24.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So I purposely staying out of the refs thing…just tired of talking about them. I think overall they are pretty bad and have a hard lean to which ever team is the home team.

So my question…. @BGleas do you think your coach should have given Tatum and Brown more rest? They looked gassed. Steph looked gassed but Tatum even worse wasn’t even getting his shots to the rim late in the game. I’ve preached young legs will win but I think he has to give them more rest throughout the game. They honestly got back in the game pretty quick in the 3rd. No reason not to find more rest. Think a lot of the bad shot selection and turnovers late were result of tired legs.

Yeah, I guess they could rest more. One thing that has been ignored with all the talk about the Celtics youth, length and size compared to the Warriors, is that the Celtics are basically only playing 7 guys. 

Pritchard gets a little run here and there, but the bench is basically White and Williams and that's it. 

The Celtics don't really have a backup wing at all. I believe Tatum has actually played the most playoff minutes in a season ever as of last night.

I agree he and Brown look gassed, but I'm not really sure where Udoka has to turn. 

I expect the Celtics will get a favorable whistle tomorrow. It will be a matter of them not shooting themselves in the foot with bad turnovers and missed free throws. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I guess they could rest more. One thing that has been ignored with all the talk about the Celtics youth, length and size compared to the Warriors, is that the Celtics are basically only playing 7 guys. 

Pritchard gets a little run here and there, but the bench is basically White and Williams and that's it. 

The Celtics don't really have a backup wing at all. I believe Tatum has actually played the most playoff minutes in a season ever as of last night.

I agree he and Brown look gassed, but I'm not really sure where Udoka has to turn. 

I expect the Celtics will get a favorable whistle tomorrow. It will be a matter of them not shooting themselves in the foot with bad turnovers and missed free throws. 

Favorable whistle like double their free throw attempts and 12 less fouls? :coffee:

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You saw last night why it isn’t better. Wiggins does all the dirty work and has the young legs and athleticism those 3 wouldn’t have. Plus if GS wins it all….they ain’t trading young assets…they are going to try to transition those young guys to replace the old guard. 
Beal is not a fit next to Curry and Thompson. Defensive nightmare.

Last night I saw them play a ton of Wiggins at the four. I don’t see at all how giving Beal GP2 and Poole’s minutes would be worse for the Warriors. 

• Like 1