NBA Thread

51 minutes ago, rico said:

Seems as though the Suns are in a "Catch-22" position?

It is obvious that they didn't want to sign Ayton to a long term contract so I don't see them matching a contract if the Pacers offer say 5/150 million contract.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is obvious that they didn't want to sign Ayton to a long term contract so I don't see them matching a contract if the Pacers offer say 5/150 million contract.

Without Ayton bieng part of a 3 way trade can the Suns get Durant? If they let him walk they get nothing and lose a pick or 2 that the Pacers would have to pony up to make the deal work.

I see it as the Suns get Durant, Pacers get Ayton and the Nets get Turner and at least 4 or 5 picks between the Suns and Pacers

17 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Without Ayton bieng part of a 3 way trade can the Suns get Durant? If they let him walk they get nothing and lose a pick or 2 that the Pacers would have to pony up to make the deal work.

I see it as the Suns get Durant, Pacers get Ayton and the Nets get Turner and at least 4 or 5 picks between the Suns and Pacers

To me for the Pacers it would be best to just sign Ayton because the Suns won't match it. Then trade Turner bto bring more assets to the Pacers instead of using Turner to get Ayton.  The Pacers should be in position to not have to give up a lot in a trade for Ayton since they can just sign him

Just now, IU Scott said:

To me for the Pacers it would be best to just sign Ayton because the Suns won't match it. Then trade Turner bto bring more assets to the Pacers instead of using Turner to get Ayton.  The Pacers should be in position to not have to give up a lot in a trade for Ayton since they can just sign him

They will match it because they can't let Ayton just walk out, they need something to be able to give the Nets if they want Durant. Thats my take on the situation. Without the Ayton trade piece I don't think they have the assets to get Durant. 

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

They will match it because they can't let Ayton just walk out, they need something to be able to give the Nets if they want Durant. Thats my take on the situation. Without the Ayton trade piece I don't think they have the assets to get Durant. 

It is obvious they don't want to sign him long term so if Pacers offer 5/150 they won't match it.  If they match it then they can't trade Ayton until January

Ayton is not going to be an outright signing, these things almost never are. There will be some type of trade component to it, whether it's a simple sign and trade between the Pacers and Suns or if it's part of a larger multi-team trade. 

At minimum it will be a S&T simply because Ayton can get more money that way, so it's goodwill between Ayton and the Pacers. It gets the relationship off on the right foot. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is obvious they don't want to sign him long term so if Pacers offer 5/150 they won't match it.  If they match it then they can't trade Ayton until January

Take it for what its worth. A Pacers insider said the Pacers were told by the Suns that they would match the offer sheet that they would not let the overall #1 pick go for nothing. If they can't land Durant they still have interest in other targets for next year. 

The agent that reps Ayton also reps Turner and I am sure he wants what is best for both. I just my gut feeling do not see this happening unless a 3rd team gets involved. I am very confident that the only way it happens is a trade and the Suns don't want Turner

Just now, BGleas said:

Ayton is not going to be an outright signing, these things almost never are. There will be some type of trade component to it, whether it's a simple sign and trade between the Pacers and Suns or if it's part of a larger multi-team trade. 

At minimum it will be a S&T simply because Ayton can get more money that way, so it's goodwill between Ayton and the Pacers. It gets the relationship off on the right foot. 

All I am saying is the Pacers don't have to over compensate to get Ayton.  Tell them we will give you Turner but nothing else because we have all the leverage.  It is not the Pacers responsibility to help the Suns or the Nets. Right now the Pacers can almost give him the max deal. All the Pacers would have to do is trade someone like Theis to have the room

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yes a sign and trade does make sense, but a 3rd team has to be invoiced right? If the rumors are true that the SUns have no interest in Turner

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

All I am saying is the Pacers don't have to over compensate to get Ayton.  Tell them we will give you Turner but nothing else because we have all the leverage.  It is not the Pacers responsibility to help the Suns or the Nets. Right now the Pacers can almost give him the max deal. All the Pacers would have to do is trade someone like Theis to have the room

It does not work that way. Why would any organization just let a former #1 walk out the door for nothing. They won't 

Would you take your car to a dealership and say here you go you can have since the guy down the road really wants it. I will figure out later what im going to do for a car. Have fun hope you love it as much as I did

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

It does not work that way. Why would any organization just let a former #1 walk out the door for nothing. They won't 

Would you take your car to a dealership and say here you go you can have since the guy down the road really wants it. I will figure out later what im going to do for a car. Have fun hope you love it as much as I did

Again I am not against a sign and trade but if they want to much then the Pacers can just walk away and try to just sign him.  If the Suns match that offer then they can't trade him until January so they would be out for Durant trade. The Pacers have all the leverage and if the want to many draft picks or a guy like Durate then Pacers walk away.  Also heard the Nets didn't want Ayton in the trade so there needs to he a third team.  Pacers and the Spurs are the only team with cap space do they don't have many options.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

1) Suns are completely bluffing on matching Ayton, but Herb likes Tom play nice. 
2) Mathurin may actually be the best player, at least initially, in this draft. Dude is a legit stud. 

I think he was the best player available at 6….but best in class…what have you seen that he looks better than any of the 5 taken ahead of him. Summer league I’ve seen I’ve been happy but he has a ton of work to do. Nothing screams he is best in this draft though.

Pacers should hold on to their cap space to help facilitate trades involving Durant and or Mitchell. Most teams will need the cap flexibility to make these moves and we could benefit by having a pick thrown our way. Not to mention there will be in-season moves that we could help facilitate.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Pacers should hold on to their cap space to help facilitate trades involving Durant and or Mitchell. Most teams will need the cap flexibility to make these moves and we could benefit by having a pick thrown our way. Not to mention there will be in-season moves that we could help facilitate.

Even if we get Ayton and then trade Turner we would still have 16 million in cap space.  Here is how I look at it, who do you want to he the center of the future. Turner, Jackson or someone else(Ayton).  First Jackson is not close to being a starting 5 in the NBA especially on defense.  If we resign Turner you probably are looking at around 25 mil a year so do you think Turner is worth that. To me I rather pay Ayton 30 over paying Turner 25 because Ayton is a lot better player 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Even if we get Ayton and then trade Turner we would still have 16 million in cap space.  Here is how I look at it, who do you want to he the center of the future. Turner, Jackson or someone else(Ayton).  First Jackson is not close to being a starting 5 in the NBA especially on defense.  If we resign Turner you probably are looking at around 25 mil a year so do you think Turner is worth that. To me I rather pay Ayton 30 over paying Turner 25 because Ayton is a lot better player 

I am all for the Pacers getting better faster.  Would love to get Ayton...and Mitchell too!