NBA Thread

10 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Is it just me or does Vic look slimmed down? Seems more fit and agile to me. I'm sure he put some serious work in during the off season.

Just read an article on Vic tonight that mentioned he had lost a lot of weight over the summer.  He's more athletic than ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huge second half from Vic to lead the Pacers over the Spurs.  Adding a potential All-Star in Turner to this group could really have them in the middle of it in the East.  They won't be as good as Cleveland, Milwaukee or Washington, but beyond that?  No one sticks out as out of their reach if Vic keeps playing this level and Turner is a 20/10/3 guy. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Huge second half from Vic to lead the Pacers over the Spurs.  Adding a potential All-Star in Turner to this group could really have them in the middle of it in the East.  They won't be as good as Cleveland, Milwaukee or Washington, but beyond that?  No one sticks out as out of their reach if Vic keeps playing this level and Turner is a 20/10/3 guy. 

Not trying to be a homer, and Hayward’s injury has definitely put a damper on some of the expectations, but don’t forget about the Celtics. After the shock of the injury the Celtics have rebounded to win 4 in a row, including 3 on the road. The addition of Tatum and Brown to the starting lineup has really improved the teams rebounding, and Tatum is the real deal. This team is much taller and longer than last years, and while I love IT, Irving is better. Also, Irving and Horford are beginning to develop a really nice chemistry on the pick and roll, and this has all been without Morris, a solid vet. Aaron Baynes has also been a nice addition in terms of defense, toughness and a big that can hit the 10-15 footer  

I don’t see us having a shot at the Finals anymore, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Celtics are a 3-6 seed and win a round in the playoffs. 

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not trying to be a homer, and Hayward’s injury has definitely put a damper on some of the expectations, but don’t forget about the Celtics. After the shock of the injury the Celtics have rebounded to win 4 in a row, including 3 on the road. The addition of Tatum and Brown to the starting lineup has really improved the teams rebounding, and Tatum is the real deal. This team is much taller and longer than last years, and while I love IT, Irving is better. Also, Irving and Horford are beginning to develop a really nice chemistry on the pick and roll, and this has all been without Morris, a solid vet. Aaron Baynes has also been a nice addition in terms of defense, toughness and a big that can hit the 10-15 footer  

I don’t see us having a shot at the Finals anymore, but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Celtics are a 3-6 seed and win a round in the playoffs. 

Honestly there’s a chance the Cavs might fall apart this year.  They’ve looked really bad in these early games.

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Honestly there’s a chance the Cavs might fall apart this year.  They’ve looked really bad in these early games.

It will be interesting to see when IT comes back and how effective he is when he does. Cleveland is not a particularly good shooting team, especially when you surround LeBron with guys like Wade and Rose. But when IT comes back, it could change things. We’ll see, I won’t bet against LeBron until he gives a reason too, but definitely cause for concern in Cleveland. 

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It will be interesting to see when IT comes back and how effective he is when he does. Cleveland is not a particularly good shooting team, especially when you surround LeBron with guys like Wade and Rose. But when IT comes back, it could change things. We’ll see, I won’t bet against LeBron until he gives a reason too, but definitely cause for concern in Cleveland. 

The East is not good, that's why the Cavs shouldn't be too worried about making the Finals. Boston was a real threat, IMO, before the injury. Now it just doesn't seem likely anyone is ready to challenge LeBron. 

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...but it was a terrible trade...Vic isn't near the player that George is...yet.

xD

Really? Come on, you're not really saying Vic is on PG's level, are you? OK I read again, you said yet -- hey, I hope Vic turns into a franchise player, 4-5 time all star, dominant on both ends, but he has a long way to go to get there. At this point, I wouldn't put him in the top 50, but if he keeps growing his game like he's showing now, watch out. Rooting for him.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Vic fan, he's my favorite former Hoosier. But he's nowhere near PG's level -- btw, this was the Spurs without Kawhi Leanord, completely different team, and no, Turner is nowhere near Kawhi, of course. it's really early, Pacers have some nice young pieces, Vic is playing really well, but a little perspective.

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think Boston will remain in the hunt. At this point, the EC teams that I think will be in the hunt with Boston

Cleveland - completely different team when IT comes back, and Cleveland isn't firing on all cylinders right now.

Wizards - probably the other team to beat in the East

Boston - Top 3-4, also obviously well coached, D will continue to get better, Tatum is really good and you're right, rebounding looks better. I think the Wiz get them this season, but can also see them being #2 again.

Bucks - Greek Freak is in the MVP hunt, they will step up

Toronto - would be surprised if they're not at least top 4

Miami - will likely rebound and build like they did last season, well coached, have the pieces

Detroit - pretty much a playoffs or bust year for them

Pacers/Magic in fight for 8th

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Really? Come on, you're not really saying Vic is on PG's level, are you? OK I read again, you said yet -- hey, I hope Vic turns into a franchise player, 4-5 time all star, dominant on both ends, but he has a long way to go to get there. At this point, I wouldn't put him in the top 50, but if he keeps growing his game like he's showing now, watch out. Rooting for him.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Vic fan, he's my favorite former Hoosier. But he's nowhere near PG's level -- btw, this was the Spurs without Kawhi Leanord, completely different team, and no, Turner is nowhere near Kawhi, of course. it's really early, Pacers have some nice young pieces, Vic is playing really well, but a little perspective.

It is the same San Antonio team that came in 4-1 without Leonard.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

It is the same San Antonio team that came in 4-1 without Leonard.

Sure, and it's early. Parker of course also is not currently playing with the Spurs. Not saying it wasn't a nice come back W for the P's, but it's not a signature win, it's an early season win with the Spurs missing two key players, and one of the top 3-5 players in the League.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Disagree, though Sabonis has looked pretty good early. If he can keep up that play, and not disappear like he did just last season, that will be a nice benefit to the Ps.

I think this was a win win for both teams. The Pavers were going no where with PG  at least there is hope .  Now PG will get to play for something. I hated seeing PG go but now I am content with the trade.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Disagree, though Sabonis has looked pretty good early. If he can keep up that play, and not disappear like he did just last season, that will be a nice benefit to the Ps.

Major factor that should be taken into consideration is that Vic wants to be in Indiana (I don't know about Sabonis)

PG did not.

Regardless of 'talent', an increased level of effort and energy, a better attitude, etc. could very well help the Pacers win the trade.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think this was a win win for both teams. The Pavers were going no where with PG  at least there is hope .  Now PG will get to play for something. I hated seeing PG go but now I am content with the trade.

Completely fair. I don't agree (at all) with those who think PG somehow didn't give great effort while a Pacer, but he clearly wanted out after things deteriorated and Bird made all those trades and roster moves. I've been a Pacers fan since the 80s -- I hope they grow back into a true EC contender, and love seeing Vic prosper. I also hope PG finds his place and thrives, either in OKC or with the Lakers, if that's really where he wants to be.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Sure, and it's early. Parker of course also is not currently playing with the Spurs. Not saying it wasn't a nice come back W for the P's, but it's not a signature win, it's an early season win with the Spurs missing two key players, and one of the top 3-5 players in the League.

It wasn't really a comeback win at all.  The Pacers led at the conclusion of all four quarters.  It was more like the Pacers controlled a close game throughout against a very good team.  

I'll concede it looked like that close game may get away from them in the fourth, might have with last years team, but this years team dug in and fought.  Glad we can agree this team has more fortitude than last years. 

Edited by KoB2011

Just to shed some "light" on PG13.  How many of you know that he de-committed from not 1, but 2 schools?  He originally committed to Santa Clara, backed out.  Then committed to Pepperdine, backed out.  Ended up at Fresno St.  Hmmmmmmm.  And fwiw he grew up a Clippers fan.