Knight's Health

Fish talking about Coach Knight being in poor health at the 9:00 mark. Anyone heard more about this?                                                                                                                                                                 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if Fischer felt ok to go public with it I guess the rumors have been confirmed. Surprised he took this platform. Dementia can hit anyone. Thoughts and prayers up for Coach Knight and his family. No matter how it ends. Sharpest basketball mind I've ever watched coach. 

Edit-Maybe Fischer took this platform as a maybe a last second plea to see if both sides can come back together. While highly unlikely maybe Fischer thought it was worth the risk. 

43 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I had heard 3-4 years ago that is what he has. Dementia or Alzheimer’s.  Truly sad!

It's weird. Was fortunate to hear him speak a few years ago and his mind on certain things as sharp as it ever was. Other stuff you could tell something wasn't right. It's weird. 2 family members right now dealing with it. One could tell me the starting lineup of every IU basketball team from 1975 on.....yet can't remember what they did last Christmas. Fascinating yet painful. 

50 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I had heard 3-4 years ago that is what he has. Dementia or Alzheimer’s.  Truly sad!

There were signs when he was still broadcasting. I didn't see the clip, but there was a report I read where he was confused over the concept of the shot clock vs the game clock.

I had worried about something like this after the last couple of times I saw him on television. I know opinions of him vary, but he was IU basketball for me growing up. He is the same age as my dad who passed away in November. Watching his teams were some of my best times with him. My heart is heavy for the Knight family. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

There were signs when he was still broadcasting. I didn't see the clip, but there was a report I read where he was confused over the concept of the shot clock vs the game clock.

I saw it.  Knew it was coming and the onset was there.  My cousin's wife passed away last year due to it.  Right now I am dealing with it with Dad.  It is surreal.  How a man can tell me everything about the Cuban Missile crisis, but can't tell me what he had for lunch.  

God Bless RMK

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The Indy Star just ran a story on Knight's declining health.  I can't get past their paywall, to link it here.  Maybe one of you fine folk can do it. 

I still can't remember who said it on here but they changed my life forever. Right click on mouse. Go in incognito mode and you'll never have this issue again. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fischer just came out and basically said he's not on his death bed but health is declining. He also said he realizes he shouldn't have said anything. IndyStar has the article. 

Don knew what he was doing. He also knows he may be the one person on the planet that could do it and get away with it.

And, IMO, he did the right thing.

You know what's worse that a father-in-law with dementia?  A mother-in-law's vanity in pretending it's not happening and trying to deny him the care and assistance he needs.

Anyone dealing directly with Alzheimers/dementia or dealing with an afflicted family member has my sincere sympathy.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Don knew what he was doing. He also knows he may be the one person on the planet that could do it and get away with it.

And, IMO, he did the right thing.

Here's one guy, I believe, is closer to Knight than even Fisch.   Question in my mind, is if he would have done what Don did.  Not saying what Don did, was wrong.  Just wonder if Bob would have come out with the news.

Bob Hammel on his friendship with Coach Bob Knight 

Archived