Knight's Health

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You know what's worse that a father-in-law with dementia?  A mother-in-law's vanity in pretending it's not happening and trying to deny him the care and assistance he needs.

Anyone dealing directly with Alzheimers/dementia or dealing with an afflicted family member has my sincere sympathy.

Yeah, it is not pretty.  Going through that right now.  My Mom is in denial.  

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rico said:

Yeah, it is not pretty.  Going through that right now.  My Mom is in denial.  

My wife and sister-in-law nominated me to sit M-I-L down and talk some sense to her since she won't listen to them.  Any words of wisdom?  She's being bull-headed to the point of endangering him.

2 minutes ago, hoosierfan615 said:

Praying for you FKIM01!

Thanks, man.  I realize this is about Knight and his battle, but Alzheimers and dementia seems so common anymore, especially as life expectancy keeps growing.  Rough to deal with because you often can't have rational discussions about the issues.

Sad news, i have a family member who suffers from Dementia,its sad that she dont even know her own kids,...RMK will always be my favorite coach..I grew up knowing Indiana basketball only one way and that was the RMK way, tough,skilled,fundamentally sound and they played as a team,i have often thought about the day when his time on earth would come to pass and I hope they do bury him upside down so those critics can kiss his a$$ and that came from the General hisself. 

46 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My wife and sister-in-law nominated me to sit M-I-L down and talk some sense to her since she won't listen to them.  Any words of wisdom?  She's being bull-headed to the point of endangering him.

Bro, I wish I had some advice for you...but I don't.  Probably just like your m-i-l, my Mom just doesn't want to admit it.  "He's alright, he is just old".  At some point in time me and my sister will swoop in and say "enough is enough".  But I keep an eye on Pop, see him everyday.  Maybe that is the best wisdom I can give you, your wife, and s-i-l.  Just check in all the time.  But other than that, I really don't know what to say.  

God Bless....and thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Such a tough road to walk.  My dad cared for my grandma the last 10 years,  probably five years ago she was diagnosed with dementia and then Alzheimer's and passed in october.  I preached her funeral, it was the first time I ever wore a suit to deliver a message, some of the family is old school Holiness, I joked about only my grandma could get me to preach in a suit.  Some laughed and others got offended.   My grandma said she wouldn't listen to a preacher that wasn't wearing a suit.  I know she was proud.  My prayers are that we can figure out a cause and find a cure.  

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

We just spent 7 yrs going from denial stage to death.  Getting my father to understand what was happening with my mother was tough.  I highly recommend talking with a nurse and/or social worker who works with the geriatric population. They were very helpful in getting my father to understand and accept what was happening. Alzheimers is sneaky; you really don't know what you don't know. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Here's one guy, I believe, is closer to Knight than even Fisch.   Question in my mind, is if he would have done what Don did.  Not saying what Don did, was wrong.  Just wonder if Bob would have come out with the news.

Bob Hammel on his friendship with Coach Bob Knight 

Thanks for posting. Learned a couple of things there that I didn't know. In just 5 minutes one important thing. Teaching vs Coaching is two different things. 

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Hate to hear this, my thoughts are with you.

So sad to hear. It makes sense now based on my experience.  In the fall I attended the Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association annual meeting. Coach Knight was the featured speaker but had to bow out because of his health.  It's obviously hard on the individual with the condition, but it's even more difficult for the loved ones... especially those providing care on an everyday basis. 

Prayers for him and his family. Man did a lot for Indiana basketball and the state in general. Special prayers to anyone suffering through this. I don’t think anyone is unaffected from this sad disease. Just know that our time on earth is short...and we were created for eternity. I pray that all may have peace that they know they will be with their loved ones again. 

I too hope some how some way Coach can make it back to Assembly Hall and feel the appreciation we all have for him and his teams.

It’s ironic that as callused as he was to so many people, and how sadly things ended, there are going to be so many thousands who will mourn his passing genuinely. I know I will. 😢

Under that bitter outer layer was a man who so deeply valued and still values commitment, work ethic, and loyalty. 

I had a chance to briefly talk to Coach Knight when I was a student. I went up the Assembly Hall to pick up my basketball tix and as I walked in he was standing there talking with another older guy. I stopped and addresses him as "Coach Knight" and he was a pleasant and could be.  He asked me a few questions about myself and thanked me for coming to the games.  Imagine if I had walked up to him and said, "Hey Knight".  He did a lot of good in his life.....a lot of not so good too.  There is no doubt he looms large in the history of basketball, too bad it is not just for his record. I would like to see him return so fans could let him know at the end what he meant.  Something tells me though that he might not really care.

This would have been about 7-8 years ago but Knight spoke at an event here in Indy area I attended. I'll never forget one thing he said to a group of us who stayed around until they kicked us out. Paraphrasing here but he said my issue has never been nor ever will be with the fans of Indiana basketball. You gave us unreal levels of support and I and we who were associated with Indiana basketball will always be grateful. 

My opinion only.....but honestly if Coach Knight is in poor health I think I'd rather have those types of memories instead of walking him out there at a basketball game if he's not able to do it on his own. 

13 hours ago, rico said:

I saw it.  Knew it was coming and the onset was there.  My cousin's wife passed away last year due to it.  Right now I am dealing with it with Dad.  It is surreal.  How a man can tell me everything about the Cuban Missile crisis, but can't tell me what he had for lunch.  

God Bless RMK

Hopefully he still knows who you are; enjoy that if so.  My mother didn't know who I was for probably the last 8 months of her life. Nasty disease.

This is so sad to hear.   My grandmother had Alzheimer's and it was heart breaking to see her turn into a different person.   She was one of the sweetest and kindest people. As the disease progressed she became agitated and downright mean.   And now my mother is showing the early signs.  I hate thinking about where this is heading.   

Prayers for Coach Knight and all dealing with this awful disease.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Don Fischer on JMV later in the day, March 1.  In a foul mood. Unwilling to talk about what he is upset about. 

IU has been playing with more confidence as of late - The Ride with JMV - Omny.fm

My take :  After reading the Indy Star article, where Don did not want the story to go to print, I think he is partly upset with them, as well as being upset with himself  for saying what he did about Knight's health earlier in the day.

Notice.... Bob Hammel refused any comment on Knight's health. 

Archived