Michigan State Postgame Thread

I'm sure someone else brought this up. Just looking at box score and most of the numbers made sense. The one that stuck out was 10 steals. I know it's probably happened but that seemed like a very big number to me. I had an issue with 2 no calls vs Juwan on shot/board at 8:10 mark in 2nd half but overall....I liked this crew getting out of the way and letting the kids play. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure someone else brought this up. Just looking at box score and most of the numbers made sense. The one that stuck out was 10 steals. I know it's probably happened but that seemed like a very big number to me. I had an issue with 2 no calls vs Juwan on shot/board at 8:10 mark in 2nd half but overall....I liked this crew getting out of the way and letting the kids play. 

Agreed. Very physical game with tight defense. But only Morgan and Tillman had 3 fouls. No other players more than 2. Allowed teams to play and avoided the parade to the free throw lane.

11 hours ago, ephul said:

Man, I didn't like Izzo before this game, but folks should go listen to his post game interview. Whines that Justin Smith had a good game, then complains about his team's injuries. I never had a whole lot of respect for Izzo. I have none now. 

It was nonsense. He talked about how IU kept running our 4 bigs at them. DeRon played 8 minutes and Race played 1. They combined for 2 points and 3 rebounds.

9 hours ago, papawboog said:

Not to bad mouth Justin, as he had the best game of his college career IMO, but he should have learned in grade school that you practice the way you play the game & play the game the way you practice.  Hopefully it has finally clicked for him because he has a lot of potential, just needs to put his mind & effort into it at all times. . If he does that, he will be a big contributor  the next two years.

Meh. Justin is such an incredible physical specimen that its absolutely possible he hasnt learned until now how to "practice" how to "prepare" for games. If he hasnt learned that until now... that's on his prior coaching, not necessarily him. This is a learned skill. 

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It was nonsense. He talked about how IU kept running our 4 bigs at them. DeRon played 8 minutes and Race played 1. They combined for 2 points and 3 rebounds.

Definitely not arguing with the results, but is there a reason Race only played 1 minute? 

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well he was doing the Purdue game and sais he just doesn't understand why top recruits wouldn't want to go to Purdue because they have everything a recruit could want.

I must have underestinated the value of Helms Banners amd ugly girls as program selling points .

Sorry. I just had to, Scott. ;) Lol

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Definitely not arguing with the results, but is there a reason Race only played 1 minute? 

Good question, but Archie rode the hot hand.Only really logical explanation was Juwan was naturally going to play a lot of the game stayed within reach and Justin looked locked in.

Since Ward missed the game I think Archie knew he didn't absolutely have to play them more.Match ups arguably favored Smith provided he showed up ready to play and executed.

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes - did you watch the game? Who's minutes did you want him to take?

Yes, I watched the whole game. With Deron not fully healthy, I thought Race would get more minutes just to give Juwan and Justin a quick rest. As I noted, I'm not complaining about the decision, I was just curious if Race got the IU flu that's going around or something.

26 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Sunday morning read. Michigan State at Indiana: The Report Card
We comprehensively summarize a big upset win.
Final grades
Box score/specialty stats
Post-game interviews
Highlights

Great take on the game. Agree wholeheartedly with the grades.

And I hesitate to bring this up, but...

It's not like we've never seen Justin and Devonte play good games before. I appreciate what both guys did yesterday. We wouldn't have won without either...BUT

I want to see it consistently before I pronounce them "cured." I know that's raining on the parade a bit, but I can't help feeling that way.

I think Archie has done an astonishing job keeping this team focused and mentally tough during the rough patch. If he can continue having success with the Justin/Devonte "buy in" IU can be a dangerous team for almost anyone to play

26 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Good question, but Archie rode the hot hand.Only really logical explanation was Juwan was naturally going to play a lot of the game stayed within reach and Justin looked locked in.

Since Ward missed the game I think Archie knew he didn't absolutely have to play them more.Match ups arguably favored Smith provided he showed up ready to play and executed.

As a fan I was pleased with this decision. How many times did we complain about FCTC take a player that was hot out of a game?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Great take on the game. Agree wholeheartedlywith the grades.

And I hesitate to bring this up, but...

It's not like we've never seen Justin and Devonte play good games before. I appreciate what both guys did yesterday. We wouldn't have won without either...BUT

I want to see it consistently before I pronounce them "cured." I know that's raining on the parade a bit, but I can't help feeling that way.

I think Archie has done so astonishing job keeping this team focused and mentally tough during the rough patch. If he can continue having success with the Justin/Devonte "buy in" IU can be a dangerous team for almost anyone to play

I think it's only natural to feel that way. We've seen something different from Justin virtually the entire season and Green is known to ride the roller coaster.

We all want both of these kids to dominate like they did yesterday, our minds just aren't used to seeing that product on a nightly basis yet. 

Also, I'm hoping this game gave Justin much needed confidence in his shooting, but hoping he can still stay within his role on this team. Should be helpful that defenses may respect his three ball more often now though. Hopefully improves spacing a bit. 

Michigan State basketball: Kyle Ahrens' ability to play in doubt

In terms of injuries this season.... Indiana erred on the side of caution.  And now... all but one of their players are back in action. Hard to say Hunter's situation is/was an injury.

On the flip side, Izzo admits, he should not have played Ahren's.  And now.... there is a good chance that Kyle may be lost for the season.  Way to go coach. Your drive for victory, just cost you a W, a player, and most likely a seed.  Not to mention a disregard for a player's well being. Oh, well... something we have come to expect at MSU. 

1 hour ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Also, I'm hoping this game gave Justin much needed confidence in his shooting, but hoping he can still stay within his role on this team. Should be helpful that defenses may respect his three ball more often now though. Hopefully improves spacing a bit. 

And I think that's the key to it. If I was an opposing coach, I would encourage my defense to let Justin take outside shots, viewing MSU as an anomaly rather than the norm simply judging by stats and looking at his form. He'd have to hit a couple first before I stretched my defense by guarding him 23 feet from the basket.

As far as Devonte goes, I've always thought if he'd forget about the razzle dazzle and just make the play, he'd be one of our most valuable assets. He seems to me to be the kind of kid that hurts his game when he thinks too much. There's an old baseball adage. "Stop thinking. You're hurting the team."

Yesterday when Devonte simply stepped into the shot seemingly without thinking about it, they went in.

48 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If accurate, would that be N'faly Dante? 6'11 5 star that plays for MOKAN Elite (Morgan's AAU team). Currently 57% to LSU on Crystal Ball

https://247sports.com/Player/NFaly-Dante-46041492/

13th posted this in the recruiting section under Loveday. Thanks for clearing that up 13th.

Now if I can only find something on this Shameless Bump guy. Would help if I knew which was his last name...

Most fun game thread from an opponent all season on 247.  Warning, should you head on over.... 32 pages, and most of it....cussing.

Thing I had to laugh hardest about.  They kept saying what a trash team IU is.  Failing to mention once...our ravails with injuries most, if not all of the season.... all the while lamenting how injuries are killing them late this season. 

This may have been covered, but at what point does izzo get called out on his low class postgame interviews? At halftime and postgame he complained about smith, then made excuses about injuries and his team being tired lol. We just played a double OT game and have had more injuries than anyone lol. Last game he complained about the refs. I'll be glad when he's gone, he's a dirtbag.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Most fun game thread from an opponent all season on 247.  Warning, should you head on over.... 32 pages, and most of it....cussing.

Thing I had to laugh hardest about.  They kept saying what a trash team IU is.  Failing to mention once...our ravails with injuries most, if not all of the season.... all the while lamenting how injuries are killing them late this season. 

Let's follow that up with a KBJ commitment to the Hoosiers. That'll put them over the edge.

20 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

Congrats on helping Purdue win the Big Ten! 

Also, ya'll storm the court after beating #6, a team you had already beaten this season? Oh my!

😄

That court storming was set up by BSStormChasers @  BarStoolSports.  Check out their twitter.  Apparently these 2 guys travel looking for court storming possibilities at big games and then film it while they dance around in yellow rain slickers.  So, there you have it...the rest of the story. This Hoosier fan is thrilled we were able to help them out.

2 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I think it's only natural to feel that way. We've seen something different from Justin virtually the entire season and Green is known to ride the roller coaster.

We all want both of these kids to dominate like they did yesterday, our minds just aren't used to seeing that product on a nightly basis yet. 

We are now nearing the end of season two for Justin and season one for Rob and Romeo. I hope what we saw yesterday from Justin is the maturation of a kid who has finally figured out that he can’t be competitive at this level relying solely on his athleticism. I am hoping that he has figured out how much hard work and preparation goes into playing consistently like he did yesterday.

For Rob and Romeo, I hope that the old saying that at this point in the season, these kids are no longer freshmen, holds true. I think that quite possibly Rob being out was a blessing in disguise and that he is not as run down as he might otherwise be running the offense the entire season. It has been said that Romeo has a great body and strength for a freshman. I hope that he can get enough breaks so he doesn’t hit the proverbial wall like most first year kids 

Archived