Matt Painter/iU sucks chant merged thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bob said:

I hate Purdue just as much as and other IU fan . I just read an article about how Matt Painter addressed the student body at Mackey Arena and ask them to stop chanting IU sucks. He said the profanity chants Haarms received at IU we’re awful and there is no place for that kind of stuff. That Purdue needs to clean up there own backyard, because they are much better then that.   I have a whole new find respect for Matt Painter. I love IU we are a very proud fan base. I want to cheer and be loud and drive opposing teams crazy with our support of our beloved Hoosiers. I hope I never hear profanity chants at opponents or single out a opposing player ever again we also are much better then that. 

Honestly I think it makes Painter look completely pathetic. Purdue has been doing that chant for years and he never said a word; he doesn't have a problem with the chant he has a problem with it being turned back on them. 

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Honestly I think it makes Painter look completely pathetic. Purdue has been doing that chant for years and he never said a word; he doesn't have a problem with the chant he has a problem with it being turned back on them. 

This is where I'm at. as well. 

I could care less about the cheer. I think it's very Purduesque. Painter asking them to stop after all this time? Pretty weak reactionary move to somehow gain points in the PR department. 

15 hours ago, rogue3542 said:

Another thing; the Haarms chant was wrong, but it was just the students.

Chanting IU sucks goes well beyond the students at Purdue.

I think (maybe giving them too much credit) that it is mainly students. 

What has been ignored is the inflatable phallic object they like to write ‘IU sucks’ on. 

I had to explain to my dad what BTFU stood for. 

The chant at Haarms was bad, but I’m not convinced they are any better. 

"Ohhhh! You were saying ''IU sucks'! I thought you were saying ''BBQ sucks!' it was making me hungry and none of the assistants would mind the game while I stole over to South Street Smoke House for a quick 3 meat plate. Nevermind."

5 hours ago, Bob said:

Sorry Rico, I just had read about it in the Star. What to share it. I had been celebrating our victory maybe a little more then I though! 🥃

No need to apologize.  I understand, I do it myself sometimes when I have partaken of waaaaay too many adult beverages.

I hope they keep doing it.  You browse their board and they are under the impression that it makes IU fans mad.  My view is that it is the inferiority Purdue fan mentality on display every game.  Indiana is on their mind 24/7. 

There are certain Purdue players that I have really dislike over the years (looking at you Haarms and Brad Miller) but by and large, I have begrudging respect for Keady and Painter and the Purdue teams.  But the fans?  Lol, on the whole, biggest inferiority complex in the BIG.  The chant just reinforces it every game.

I hope it never goes away.

Does this put to rest the conversation from a week or so ago as to whether a coach could address the fans?

As much as I dislike Duke, and about everything they stand for, their students come up with some pretty funny and intelligent chants towards opponents. “IU sucks “ is the guy who hasn’t got the brains to come up with anything else.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"Ohhhh! You were saying ''IU sucks'! I thought you were saying ''BBQ sucks!' it was making me hungry and none of the assistants would mind the game while I stole over to South Street Smoke House for a quick 3 meat plate. Nevermind."

Wait do some people not like BBQ?

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hope they keep doing it.  You browse their board and they are under the impression that it makes IU fans mad.  My view is that it is the inferiority Purdue fan mentality on display every game.  Indiana is on their mind 24/7. 

There are certain Purdue players that I have really dislike over the years (looking at you Haarms and Brad Miller) but by and large, I have begrudging respect for Keady and Painter and the Purdue teams.  But the fans?  Lol, on the whole, biggest inferiority complex in the BIG.  The chant just reinforces it every game.

I've been thinking much the same thing. I hope they continue with the chant. The day they stop, IU becomes irrelevant to them.  There's a reason why IU fans don't shout PU sucks at each and every home game. 

See, the thing is this a "PC correct" country now.  Hence, why Marquette is no longer the Warriors.  St. John's is no longer the Redmen or Syracuse in no longer the Orangemen.  Now it has trickled down to crowd control.  It was just inevitable.  

48 minutes ago, rico said:

See, the thing is this a "PC correct" country now.  Hence, why Marquette is no longer the Warriors.  St. John's is no longer the Redmen or Syracuse in no longer the Orangemen.  Now it has trickled down to crowd control.  It was just inevitable.  

Unfortunately, no crowd control at Utah State last night 

4 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Purdue and Illinois fans are neck and neck for inferiority complex each and every year. Must be an engineering thing. Haha.

Archived