Illinois Pregame Thread

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, the incentives are for us, to keep having a chance to go dancing, and for the Illini, so the coach can pocket another 15 large.

For us, it is a Race Thompson to the finish, but it won't be Dam ezi. Hopefully, we want it Mor gan the Illini, that we get inside for a lot of Al jam i's and the Illini go Rome-O for 2 against the Hoosiers this season.

This post alone should pun ish the Whinin Otters. 😁

If the do change their names, will their arena go from The State Farm Center, to The OtterBox?

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Forget Senior night.

Q: Is this the biggest game of the season for IU ? 

I was actually thinking, is this the biggest game for IU since the Round of 32 game vs. Kentucky in 2016? You could say the Sweet Sixteen vs. UNC, but I never really thought we had a chance in that one. 

Granted even if IU wins tonight they still have to win Sunday and in the BTT, but all of that is irrelevant without this tough one on the road. 

30 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Better than their postseason prospects. 

Absolutely...but you know they'd enjoy spoiling it for IU on senior night.  Just ticks me off that the coach gets a $15,000 bounty for winning a game against a bubble team during a very poor season.

Well, here we go again, after reading a few of the Illini fan boards. A lot of talk about how IU went into a dive for the better part of the conference season. And how IU is playing much better lately........ and no mention of the ton of injuries while IU went into the tank.  Much less the reason for better play, now that IU is playing with a full compliment of players.  It's as if ,it is by some magical reason as to why IU is playing better ball now.  Many think the game will swing on how well they defend against Morgan and Langford. Two guys that basically have played despite the injuries to others.  Some think De'Ron and Green are the x-factors. Not one mention of what Smith did the last couple of times out. And no mention of Rob P.  Clueless. I hope Underwood makes the same mistake Izzo did against Smith, and his game plan is to lay off of Smith. 

Also, no smugness on the part of Illini fans.  It seems they are genuinely concerned about Thursday's game with IU. 

This seems like an odd thing to focus on for a game but it helped vs Sparty on Saturday. I'm looking to see how we finish at the rim. Justin, Romeo, Juwan, De'ron....even though our free throw shooting has improved I'd be shooting for the and 1 vs 2 freebies. No matter the talent..... games are always tight over there. Expecting the same. I do expect them to put a couple of senior night type runs together so if they hit back to back 3's I wouldn't mind Archie doing a quick timeout like he did vs Sparty when it was 9-2. 

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I hope Underwood makes the same mistake Izzo did against Smith, and his game plan is to lay off of Smith. 

I don't know if I'm hoping for that or not. It was nice to see Justin hit some outside shots, but that really seemed like an anomaly, and my concern is that he'll fall in love with that shot and not stay within his game. Hey, if he takes them and hits them, great, but I don't think one game is enough to say that he's suddenly a threat from deep, especially when he's been pretty bad from there outside of one game.

Just now, AxnJxn said:

I don't know if I'm hoping for that or not. It was nice to see Justin hit some outside shots, but that really seemed like an anomaly, and my concern is that he'll fall in love with that shot and not stay within his game. Hey, if he takes them and hits them, great, but I don't think one game is enough to say that he's suddenly a threat from deep, especially when he's been pretty bad from there outside of one game.

Agreed, I'm ok with him trying an open one or two if it's within the rhythm of the offense, but I'm concerned he falls in love with the jumper and doesn't focus on what he's best at. If he hits an early one, keep shooting, but if not get back to cutting to the basket asap.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Definitely going to have to play through/ overcome a lot of BS. Goes with the territory.

It is but Rob, Romeo, and Al must be ready.  2 freshman and a sophomore could have massive problems with their pressure.  I think it will come down to FTs.

Archived