Build a Statue For Knight ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I seriously doubt that he would want this or agree to it while he's living.  Wait until he's gone.

Basically what the article says that there would be statue(s) of him already but he hasn't allowed/wanted them. He is missing from the 76 championship statues of the players b/c he requested not to be included. 

So that makes me ponder, should IU put them up after he's gone, since it goes against his living wishes? I guess I would say no for 2 reasons: 1) because he didn't want them while he was living, and 2) if he doesn't want anything to do with IU and holds his grudge until his dying breath, then IU should reciprocate and want nothing to do with him in return.

This a bizarre one.  An IU legendary coach that was fired.  If he comes back and waves at the crowd then we have our answer...build the statue.  But if he doesn't....then nada.  But I will say this much, dying people seem to open up when the time is near.

27 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Are there statues for anyone else at IU? Yeagley won 6 NCAA championships. Is there statue for him anywhere?

Yeagley has the field named after him.  

The issue is: AH has been named, and the court is named after McCracken.  So what else is there? Could hyphenate the name of the court, I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

It is very sad that this is even a question....should have been done many years ago.  Without RMK, IU basketball would have always been what it is now.....mediocre at best

I wouldn't say two national championships is mediocre

Just now, CTrojan88 said:

It is very sad that this is even a question....should have been done many years ago.  Without RMK, IU basketball would have always been what it is now.....mediocre at best

At the time RMK was hired, there were only 6 programs in the country that had won multiple national championships.  IU was one of them. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

At the time RMK was hired, there were only 6 programs in the country that had won multiple national championships.  IU was one of them. 

I think some fans just take for granted how hard it is to win just one championship let alone 5.  There are a lot of programs which they just have just one title and our fans don't think 5 is good enough.  Some think it is our birth right to win championships but it is real hard to win the tournament

28 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Basically what the article says that there would be statue(s) of him already but he hasn't allowed/wanted them. He is missing from the 76 championship statues of the players b/c he requested not to be included. 

So that makes me ponder, should IU put them up after he's gone, since it goes against his living wishes? I guess I would say no for 2 reasons: 1) because he didn't want them while he was living, and 2) if he doesn't want anything to do with IU and holds his grudge until his dying breath, then IU should reciprocate and want nothing to do with him in return.

Makes me ponder as well.:This could be done in a completely separate capacity from making it exclusively about Knight and IU.

If IU is a public University, and when he was on University time, it should be up to the public with images from those times. It would be one thing if they wanted to put a statue up of him with a fly rod in Montana - in Showalter Fountain.  I would leave that up to RMK.Same should have went for memorial of the '76 team. The memorial is supposedly for all to share, and it would appear neither IU nor Knight are considering the public much. Or am I off base? 

If Knight gets a statue, and to avoid individualizing it down to him alone or excluding other legendary IU coaches of the past, it(sStatues) should be done for all coaches who meet a minimum set criteria at the respective facility(facilities) of their accomplishments. Use a very difficult criteria  and make it a tradition. Then make  a statue as was done honoring Dr. Herman Wells in the park by the campus library. Same idea except with the coaches at the facility or out front at the public entry.

That gets it done for all deserving and keeps the criteria as the determining factor.This would leave it open for the future coaches at IU as well and establish a tradition. Just my thoughts on how to consider everything I've read here up to now.

Just offering ideas. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think some fans just take for granted how hard it is to win just one championship let alone 5.  There are a lot of programs which they just have just one title and our fans don't think 5 is good enough.  Some think it is our birth right to win championships but it is real hard to win the tournament

1971 was a totally different environment.  UCLA had 7 titles, Kentucky had 4, and Cincinnati, Indiana, Oklahoma State and San Francisco had 2.  Kansas and North Carolina only had 1 each at that time. 

5 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Makes me ponder as well.:This could be done in a completely separate capacity from making it exclusively about Knight and IU.

If IU is a public University, and when he was on University time, it should be up to the public with images from those times. It would be one thing if they wanted to put a statue up of him with a fly rod in Montana - in Showalter Fountain.  I would leave that up to RMK.Same should have went for memorial of the '76 team. The memorial is supposedly for all to share, and it would appear neither IU nor Knight are considering the public much. Or am I off base?  

If Knight gets a statue, and to avoid individualizing it down to him alone or excluding other legendary IU coaches of the past, it(sStatues) should be done for all coaches who meet a minimum set criteria at the respective facility(facilities) of their accomplishments. Use a very difficult criteria  and make it a tradition. Then make  a statue as was done honoring Dr. Herman Wells in the park by the campus library. Same idea except with the coaches at the facility or out front at the public entry.

That gets it done for all deserving and keeps the criteria as the determining factor.This would leave it open for the future coaches at IU as well and establish a tradition. Just my thoughts on how to consider everything I've read here up to now.

Just offering ideas. 

Could work.  Build something similar to the Yankees' Monument Park near the entrance to SSAH.  Have areas/statues/monuments/whatever honoring both McCracken and Knight. 

The criteria for coaches? Easy.  2 or more national titles. 

I am for it if he would be ok with it. Otherwise maybe his own special display wing in the Hall somewhere with pictures and some type of tribute. (Sorry there may already be this but I haven't been since the new update). Not sure what else you could do...name a chair after him???? A scorers table? The media room?? So many memories lol!!! Lot's of ways to honor him....naming locker room or practice facility...stairs he made the kids run lol. Whatever the case a statue would be great if he would allow it.

Only thing I worry about is in this current climate where many of his antics and things he has said would be so controversial people would end up protesting until they just take it down anyways.

Archived