Build a Statue For Knight ?

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

No doubt and they should make it where he is  upside down so his critics could kiss his A$$

It would be so ironic if they did since Knight happens to be the biggest critic against the statue idea. Then he could kiss his own statue's a** since it would sort of be his too.Okaaaaaay time for me to stop reading in so far. Lol Funny comment though Scott.Your fault I got going! Haha

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think some fans just take for granted how hard it is to win just one championship let alone 5.  There are a lot of programs which they just have just one title and our fans don't think 5 is good enough.  Some think it is our birth right to win championships but it is real hard to win the tournament

Lot of truth in that.  The one thing I'll say is that Coach Knight won 3 NCAA tournaments in the span of 11 years, and came darn close to winning a 4th in '75.  So, in a sense, he (and his players) raised our expectations to Mt. Everest, and I can tell you this fan sure enjoyed that ride.  (Granted I was 9 when IU won in '76, but I was at IU for the '87 championship and that was a VERY fun night!!!)  

4 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Lot of truth in that.  The one thing I'll say is that Coach Knight won 3 NCAA tournaments in the span of 11 years, and came darn close to winning a 4th in '75.  So, in a sense, he (and his players) raised our expectations to Mt. Everest, and I can tell you this fan sure enjoyed that ride.  (Granted I was 9 when IU won in '76, but I was at IU for the '87 championship and that was a VERY fun night!!!)  

I was 6 in 76 but remember the titles well

Why build a statute for a man who opposes it and refuses to come back to IU? Of course he built IU basketball for the 70's through the 90's, and is a coaching legend and the primary reason why IU is a "blue blood." But he wants nothing to do with IU and continues to hold a grudge for being fired after all of his ridiculous antics and abusive behavior. I'm with those who say yes -- if he wants it, and otherwise, no. Can anyone name a program that built a statue for a coach who opposed it and wanted nothing to do with the university or program? 

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

Basically what the article says that there would be statue(s) of him already but he hasn't allowed/wanted them. He is missing from the 76 championship statues of the players b/c he requested not to be included. 

So that makes me ponder, should IU put them up after he's gone, since it goes against his living wishes? I guess I would say no for 2 reasons: 1) because he didn't want them while he was living, and 2) if he doesn't want anything to do with IU and holds his grudge until his dying breath, then IU should reciprocate and want nothing to do with him in return.

I absolutely agree with this statement.

28 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Lot of truth in that.  The one thing I'll say is that Coach Knight won 3 NCAA tournaments in the span of 11 years, and came darn close to winning a 4th in '75

I half jokingly say we should have 2 full size banners somewhere in AH, one with a picture of Scott May's forearm and one with a picture of Alan Henderson's knee.  National titles 6 and 7, right there. 

No question a statue should be there, but can't do it while living due to his specific wishes (unless changed). Although you wonder how he would really feel about it (versus what he says). 

The displays in Assembly Hall are both a tribute and a historical museum. Part of their purpose is to pass on a history to current and future fans. Knight has maintained his issues aren't with the fans. His issues with the former administration shouldn't be an attempt to erase history.

I think there should actually be two statues. One with Dean and McCracken and the other joining the 76 team. If he doesn't change his mind while living, it would be appropriate to approach the family and the members of the 76 team after he passes.

2 hours ago, CTrojan88 said:

It is very sad that this is even a question....should have been done many years ago.  Without RMK, IU basketball would have always been what it is now.....mediocre at best

I don't agree.  It didn't begin with Knight...nor end with him!!

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I think there should actually be two statues. One with Dean and McCracken and the other joining the 76 team. If he doesn't change his mind while living, it would be appropriate to approach the family and the members of the 76 team after he passes.

Like this idea. Especially having the whole 76 team in with him...

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't say two national championships is mediocre

Ok....don’t say it then...they hadn’t won a national championship in 18 years prior to his arrival and with the exception of 66-67 were really bad, or as I said, mediocre.  During RMKs tenure, they missed a postseason tournament of some kind only once.  In that year, they were still 16-11 and finished 4th in the B10.  Definitely statue worthy and light years better than before his arrival and after his departure...

% chance I don't cry when he passes (if I outlive him) =   zero.  He meant ALOT to people of my generation.  The feeling we had when we knew we'd kick some $#@ was unparalleled.  We aren't getting that back.  

Build a statue.  His meaning to IU basketball is beyond normal comprehension, and that is even with an acknowledgement that we had Branch with two championships.  I don't know that anyone coached anything in US sports better than him.  Maybe there are peers or equals when you look at Red Auerbach, Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick.  That's the company he's keeping and IU had him.  Anyone that wants to denigrate him as a coach is engaging in wishful thinking.  

I am sorry to hear about the supposed dementia.  I wish him well.  

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

% chance I don't cry when he passes (if I outlive him) =   zero.  He meant ALOT to people of my generation.  The feeling we had when we knew we'd kick some $#@ was unparalleled.  We aren't getting that back.  

Build a statue.  His meaning to IU basketball is beyond normal comprehension, and that is even with an acknowledgement that we had Branch with two championships.  I don't know that anyone coached anything in US sports better than him.  Maybe there are peers or equals when you look at Red Auerbach, Vince Lombardi or Bill Belichick.  That's the company he's keeping and IU had him.  Anyone that wants to denigrate him as a coach is engaging in wishful thinking.  

I am sorry to hear about the supposed dementia.  I wish him well.  

No chance of tears here.

Archived