Spring practices

• 2 weeks later...

Good stuff. Thanks for linking. The student did a very nice job with his interviews. 

Very interesting that Allen mentioned both Bedford and Katic. That’s pretty good for rising true freshmen. I’m curious about last year’s offensive line recruits. Aidan Rafferty was pretty decently ranked so I am wondering how he’s coming along.  

It’d be great if Ziemba and Head take big steps forward at defensive end. Both are fast around the corner. 

Stepaniak lit up with enthusiasm when the new offensive system was mentioned.  That speaks volumes.  He thinks it will be better. 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Good stuff. Thanks for linking. The student did a very nice job with his interviews. 

Very interesting that Allen mentioned both Bedford and Katic. That’s pretty good for rising true freshmen. I’m curious about last year’s offensive line recruits. Aidan Rafferty was pretty decently ranked so I am wondering how he’s coming along.  

It’d be great if Ziemba and Head take big steps forward at defensive end. Both are fast around the corner. 

Stepaniak lit up with enthusiasm when the new offensive system was mentioned.  That speaks volumes.  He thinks it will be better. 

I think our offensive line will look much improved due to the fact that we hopefully have some unpredictability on offense.  It was tough to block when the defense knew what was coming, so I could imagine our OL being pretty excited about it.  I think Ramsey got happy feet at times, so it made the OL look a little worse.  With Penix or Tuttle, they'll keep defenses more honest and help out the OL.

DeBoer also had an insanely few number of sacks allowed the last few years.  Each of the last 2 years, they allowed less than a sack a game.  Their OL coach I'm sure was part of that, but I would imagine DeBoer was part of that too.

Rafferty was able to redshirt last year, and it says on his profile on the IU website that he was the scout team player of the week twice last year.  We'll be losing a lot on the line after this year, so hopefully Rafferty, Bedford, and Katic are ready to play this year and turn into solid starters next year.

On defense, we really need Juan Harris to be a beast in the middle.  He's talented enough, he could command a double team and open things up for guys like Head to go after the QB.  I think Sio might be able to give us some quality minutes there and clog the middle too.

Good points.  Sio wasn’t at the top of of the list in terms of ranking, but I noticed that Allen earlier (maybe when he introduced the new signees) mentioned him as a guy who might play early.  It probably helps that Sio’s already 320 lbs whereas a lot of defensive tackles need to bulk up coming out of high school.  I am sure he needs to take some baby fat off and transform his body to have more muscle but that’s a heck of a frame. 

Another guy who fascinates me is Madison Norris.  He’s obviously a fabulous athlete, but will he really get the muscle to be a viable defensive end?  If he can, he could be a good player rushing the passer.  If it’s not going to happen, can he move to another position?  

I don’t know if Coach Allen is touchy about it, but I’d love to know if they’d be willing to put his son Thomas’ hand in the dirt and convert him to defensive end?  I think he’s got the frame and motor for it.  He was, what? 6’3 235?  He could get to 265 I’m sure and come off the edge.  I’m sure Coach Allen likes Thomas’ head for the game in the middle of the defense but we could be a lot faster with other guys plus I think Thomas might have good potential at end. I think he’d have the relentlessness you want.  

There are other lb’s I like more.  I remember the first time I saw Micah McFadden, I thought he was a steal. I was surprised by him right out of the chute.  And there are several other linebackers.  I think end could be a solution for Thomas Allen. 

On 3/22/2019 at 1:56 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

Good points.  Sio wasn’t at the top of of the list in terms of ranking, but I noticed that Allen earlier (maybe when he introduced the new signees) mentioned him as a guy who might play early.  It probably helps that Sio’s already 320 lbs whereas a lot of defensive tackles need to bulk up coming out of high school.  I am sure he needs to take some baby fat off and transform his body to have more muscle but that’s a heck of a frame. 

Another guy who fascinates me is Madison Norris.  He’s obviously a fabulous athlete, but will he really get the muscle to be a viable defensive end?  If he can, he could be a good player rushing the passer.  If it’s not going to happen, can he move to another position?  

I don’t know if Coach Allen is touchy about it, but I’d love to know if they’d be willing to put his son Thomas’ hand in the dirt and convert him to defensive end?  I think he’s got the frame and motor for it.  He was, what? 6’3 235?  He could get to 265 I’m sure and come off the edge.  I’m sure Coach Allen likes Thomas’ head for the game in the middle of the defense but we could be a lot faster with other guys plus I think Thomas might have good potential at end. I think he’d have the relentlessness you want.  

There are other lb’s I like more.  I remember the first time I saw Micah McFadden, I thought he was a steal. I was surprised by him right out of the chute.  And there are several other linebackers.  I think end could be a solution for Thomas Allen. 

In the game action that McFadden saw last year, oh yes. Love that kid. Tough. Fearless. Smart. 10 seconds of footage and anyone could tell "Yep, this kid was born to be a linebacker.&quot%3

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

In the game action that McFadden saw last year, oh yes. Love that kid. Tough. Fearless. Smart. 10 seconds of footage and anyone could tell "Yep, this kid was born to be a linebacker.&quot%3

Agreed.  I was really impressed by McFadden.  Had a major nose for the ball, and had the athleticism to get there and make the play.

7 hours ago, Kodos said:

I'm ready for football season to start TODAY.

I agree.  This is one of the few seasons that I remember that I am confident that we have good offensive and defensive coaches.  I felt that way Wilson's last year when we had Allen as DC, and I feel that way this year with Allen/Wommack on defense, and DeBoer on offense.

I think we should no doubt be a better team this year, but our schedule is rough, so I don't know if our record will reflect it.  A lot will depend on the difference that DeBoer makes on the offense.  I think at minimum he's as good as DeBord, and could be miles better.  If he is as good as we're hoping, there's no telling what we could be.  I can't wait to see it.

WR Miles Marshall impresses DeBoer

There was one quote in the article that really made me excited. I like what Ramsey has done for us, but this is what he's missing.

"And during Saturday morning’s workout, Marshall was on the receiving end of one of Indiana’s most impressive connections of the day, hauling in a perfectly-placed deep ball from Utah transfer Jack Tuttle."

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

WR Miles Marshall impresses DeBoer

There was one quote in the article that really made me excited. I like what Ramsey has done for us, but this is what he's missing.

"And during Saturday morning’s workout, Marshall was on the receiving end of one of Indiana’s most impressive connections of the day, hauling in a perfectly-placed deep ball from Utah transfer Jack Tuttle."

Definitely welcoming that "perfectly placed deep ball"  talk, Leather!  Thanks for linking the latest for us!

Another part of the article that really caught my eye: This spring, Marshall is working his way through DeBoer’s offense, familiarizing himself with different roles and expectations. He’s seeing time both on the outside and in the slot, allowing Indiana to use him in different packages and combinations.

I like the mentality of coach willing to go big in the slot . LOVE ....IT!!!!  :D As well as IU continuing to have the versatility in one player to move them around across different formations and plays.  Timian could be moved around and that was often a huge benefit to the offense with defenses preoccupied with tracking down Hale , Westbrook and their other teammates. Marshall could play a huge part with Timian moving on after graduation. Philyor returning is where it could get really tricky for teams covering IU if they can become more proficient throwing downfield. How will teams spread out enough to contain the WRs and stay tight enough to check Scott and the other backs ? Someone probably gets lost in the shuffle or ends up on a serious mismatch, and I'm guessing whoever is in the slot could enjoy a great year.  Fun to ponder, but man that makes me even more curious about how that Oline will shake out. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/05/15/iu-football-veteran-qb-battles-peyton-ramsey-still-starter/3678573002/

From reading this article, I think Allen is saying all the right things, and giving Ramsey the respect he deserves for the last 2 years, but it just seems like he's not sold in Ramsey starting and is waiting for the right time to change things.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramsey start the first couple games, but be unseated by Penix or Tuttle after that.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:14 PM, Leathernecks said:

https://www.thestarpress.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/05/15/iu-football-veteran-qb-battles-peyton-ramsey-still-starter/3678573002/

From reading this article, I think Allen is saying all the right things, and giving Ramsey the respect he deserves for the last 2 years, but it just seems like he's not sold in Ramsey starting and is waiting for the right time to change things.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ramsey start the first couple games, but be unseated by Penix or Tuttle after that.

He should have said best man wins. If its Ramsey so be it.

Archived