Losing recruits

The run off that you are concerned about is going to happen. The state just produces too much talent for the number of Division 1 schools located here. 

The bigger concern, which I think is where you are headed with this, is the run off of the elite/highest level talent. Again, we are not going to get every kid in that category to come to Bloomington. We just need to get our share.

CAM is in the second year of overcoming the deficiencies of the previous coaching staff in regards to building bonds with the high school coaches in state. Well known that Crean was not liked by many of the prominent head high school coaches. I think we will still see the ramifications of that for another few years.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

That's not what I am saying. I was just responding to why Indiana people get so worked up. It's because we have the best players and coaches, and want to keep those kids in our state.

As an Indiana guy I'd love to buy this, but there is plenty of talent and coaching in NY, Texas, Cali, etc. Indiana has lots of talent (though that varies by year, which is why you can't just look to IN or local recruiting), but to say it has the best players or best coaches, well, really can't say that as a blanket statement.

1 minute ago, RoadToZion said:

I'll keep my opinions to myself then. 

Naah man, nothing wrong with having an opinion, I'm just saying it's a blanket statement that really can't be objectively backed up. Indiana produces great talent and has lots of of good HS-level coaches. Who has the best talent or coaching in any given year, or over a period of time etc., turns on all kinds of things.

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The run off that you are concerned about is going to happen. The state just produces too much talent for the number of Division 1 schools located here. 

The bigger concern, which I think is where you are headed with this, is the run off of the elite/highest level talent. Again, we are not going to get every kid in that category to come to Bloomington. We just need to get our share.

CAM is in the second year of overcoming the deficiencies of the previous coaching staff in regards to building bonds with the high school coaches in state. Well known that Crean was not liked by many of the prominent head high school coaches. I think we will still see the ramifications of that for another few years.

It is more than IU was one of my points.  It affects Purdue and Notre Dame as well.  Population wise, we are a small state, but the talent we produce is something else.  

29 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Charles Macon - Ohio State. Tyler Zeller -UNC  Kevin Ault - Missouri State  The Moore kid that played at SMU.Ryan Taylor Northwestern. Desmond Bane TCU. Kojak Fuller - who knows .Aaron Henry - MSU

Kojak Fuller is split.  He transferred to Southern University (Louisiana) after two years at (my other alma mater) Vincennes University. 

5 minutes ago, rico said:

It is more than IU was one of my points.  It affects Purdue and Notre Dame as well.  Population wise, we are a small state, but the talent we produce is something else.  

Notre Dame not as much. With the admission requirements, the pool of kids they can recruit is much smaller. I can't remember a recent ND team that ever had more than 1 or 2 Indiana kids at the same time.

I lived in Maryland for 11 years and their fans complain about the same thing. Of course Maryland basketball, while pretty good, isn't at the level of fandom of IU basketball, but their fans complain about it all the same. 

Check out just a few of the names that didn't go to Marylan:

Kevin Durant

Carmelo Anthony

Jeff Green

Victor Oladipo

Sam Cassell

Jarrett Jack

Michael Beasley

Rudy Gay

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Notre Dame not as much. With the admission requirements, the pool of kids they can recruit is much smaller. I can't remember a recent ND team that ever had more than 1 or 2 Indiana kids at the same time.

Ken Barlow, Scott Hicks, and Joe Price.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I lived in Maryland for 11 years and their fans complain about the same thing. Of course Maryland basketball, while pretty good, isn't at the level of fandom of IU basketball, but their fans complain about it all the same. 

Check out just a few of the names that didn't go to Marylan:

Kevin Durant

Carmelo Anthony

Jeff Green

Victor Oladipo

Sam Cassell

Jarrett Jack

Michael Beasley

Rudy Gay

I think Oscar Robertson trumps them all....

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I think Oscar Robertson trumps them all....

Let's wait for Duran'ts career to be over. I'm not a huge fan of his, but when it's all said and done Durant will be pretty high on the list of all-time greats. As is Oscar of course. 

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

how long ago was that?

Mid 80's.  And I stand corrected.....in 84-85 they would have had 4.  I left off my HS team mate.  Barlow, Hicks, Price, and Peters...David Rivers at PG.

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Let's wait for Duran'ts career to be over. I'm not a huge fan of his, but when it's all said and done Durant will be pretty high on the list of all-time greats. As is Oscar of course. 

Each to their own.  But Oscar was a phenom in HS, College, and the NBA.  Winning titles at all three levels.  KD will not be able to have that on his resume.

Sorry if already mentioned, 

Junior Bridgeman - Louisville

Chris Hill - Michigan State

Clyde Lovellete - Kansas

(I am not sure how you view George Hill since he did stay in-state).

Kind of screwy, but Kevin Pritchard grew up in Indiana until aged 14 but went to Kansas and I think won a NC.

Archived