NCAAT or NIT?

Is it better for a young team to make the NCAAT and lose the first game, or make the final four of the NIT?

The latter would mean several tournament games and an appearance at MSG. Does the NIT experience translate to success the following year?

Or is it better for the program (selection show, recruiting, etc) to be back in the NCAAT for one game?

In our case, I actually think we could win a couple in NCAAT given the right bracket.  A lot of 'high' seeds are vulnerable right now.  Stay away from seed lines 1 or 2 and we have a decent chance.

Say we are a 12.  Get the right 5 and 4 seed matchups and we could be in Sweet 16.

NCAA tourney no doubt.  Archie is trying to set a standard, and that standard starts with making the tournament every season as a baseline.  Getting in this year would be the first step toward that.  Would mean so much more than a couple meaningless wins in a consolation bracket.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

In our case, I actually think we could win a couple in NCAAT given the right bracket.  A lot of 'high' seeds are vulnerable right now.  Stay away from seed lines 1 or 2 and we have a decent chance.

Say we are a 12.  Get the right 5 and 4 seed matchups and we could be in Sweet 16.

My dream scenario is that Purdue chokes away the conference championship against Northwestern and doesn’t win the BTT, and then Indiana goes on a deeper run in the tourney.  How funny would that be?

38 minutes ago, rico said:

But yet, the bluebloods have won titles in it, including us.

I'm aware, and I do think it used to be a little more prestigious. When we won it in 79, there were only 40 teams in the NCAA Tournament. 

Now with sometimes 7 or 8 teams from one conference making the NCAA, it's lost a bit of its luster.

13 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Is it better for a young team to make the NCAAT and lose the first game, or make the final four of the NIT?

The latter would mean several tournament games and an appearance at MSG. Does the NIT experience translate to success the following year?

Or is it better for the program (selection show, recruiting, etc) to be back in the NCAAT for one game?

Rather lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament than win the NIT.  There is no guarantee of a long run in the NIT and it takes 3 wins just to get to MSG and it depends where you are seeded on how many of those games would be at home.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'm aware, and I do think it used to be a little more prestigious. When we won it in 79, there were only 40 teams in the NCAA Tournament. 

Now with sometimes 7 or 8 teams from one conference making the NCAA, it's lost a bit of its luster.

Yes we beat Purdue in 79 and Purdue had tied for the league lead but did not get into the NCAA Tournament

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I understand all that..and I agree.  The NIT would be just fine for Northwestern or Nebraska.  And even better for the mid-majors.

15 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

My dream scenario is that Purdue chokes away the conference championship against Northwestern and doesn’t win the BTT, and then Indiana goes on a deeper run in the tourney.  How funny would that be?

I had the same dream, but mine also included Scarlett Johannson, a secluded beach, and a bottle of wine.

Rico is right.  Was a time the NIT had some significance.  Today.... no question, the NCAAT carries much more prestige, even if you lose in the first round.  Just look at Ken Pom at the start of next season in order to know this is true. 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

NCAAT for sure, but if for some reason we don’t get invited, I would hope we don’t turn down the NIT bid as happened a couple of years ago 

Inexcusable decision to decline a home game, but accept to play a road game.

Fred Glass has heard the noise and the criticism from Indiana basketball fans regarding IU’s decision to not host a first-round NIT game Tuesday night against Georgia Tech because the university is on spring break.

He has also heard the various conspiracy theories being floated including one that Indiana wanted to avoid a home game in the NIT because of the potential of an unfavorable crowd reaction to IU coach Tom Crean.

Glass told CNHI Sports Indiana on Monday that he understands there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument, but that IU did what it felt was the best thing to do.

“I know there is a perception out there that we did this to somehow protect Tom (Crean) from being booed at or something like that, and in my view that’s just not the case,’’ Glass said. “But I will plead guilty in wanting to protect the impression of Assembly Hall and not wanting to be on national TV when Assembly Hall wasn’t Assembly Hall. The students aren’t there and a lot — not all — but a lot of our fan base wouldn’t be able to be there, either.

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Inexcusable decision to decline a home game, but accept to play a road game.

Fred Glass has heard the noise and the criticism from Indiana basketball fans regarding IU’s decision to not host a first-round NIT game Tuesday night against Georgia Tech because the university is on spring break.

He has also heard the various conspiracy theories being floated including one that Indiana wanted to avoid a home game in the NIT because of the potential of an unfavorable crowd reaction to IU coach Tom Crean.

Glass told CNHI Sports Indiana on Monday that he understands there are pros and cons to both sides of the argument, but that IU did what it felt was the best thing to do.

“I know there is a perception out there that we did this to somehow protect Tom (Crean) from being booed at or something like that, and in my view that’s just not the case,’’ Glass said. “But I will plead guilty in wanting to protect the impression of Assembly Hall and not wanting to be on national TV when Assembly Hall wasn’t Assembly Hall. The students aren’t there and a lot — not all — but a lot of our fan base wouldn’t be able to be there, either.

Fred Glass does a lot of dumb things.

12 hours ago, IUalum said:

For me, no brainer.  NCAAT

Who won the NIT last year and where are they today?

Answer: Penn State, 12th currently in the BT.

I don't see this IU team in the Big Dance, but I would love to see it happen.

I could tell you who won the Women's NIT last year.....

Archived