Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Are you willing to admit that he was making clear and obvious mistakes though? 

Nope. What we call clear and obvious mistakes are based on ur opinions from watching g a 40 minute game. With zero insight into the other 99.99% of the week.

Not saying he is infallible at all. I am just saying what we view as obvious is not so obvious because the truth is we do not know squat about what is truly going on. Good or bad.

31 minutes ago, TN_Hoosier said:

Helps when the team/players are healthy!!!

Bingo. RP missed a crucial part of the season due to the concussion and it took him awhile to be himself again. DD is finally healthy. RT has given us some depth minutes. ZM could at least give us really good D last year and hit a shot occasionally, but you can tell his back issue has hampered him all year (not like we were depending on him, but he would have at least been some depth). 

A few things stuck out to me tonight

1)The guys have really bought into the defensive side of the floor. Even when we’ve been disappointing most games on O our D kept us in the games.

2) Looks as if our punching bag guys may be starting to slide into understanding their roles a little bit better. JS and DG have played within themselves and been big contributors the last few games whereas they killed us most of the Big10 season.

3) RP is a really good PG. Not sure how a guy like KB wouldn’t be jumping at the opportunity to play with him. 

This team may just sneak in the tourney if we take care of business against Rutgers and beat OSU (likely opponent) in the tourney. 

Illinois has some very quick guards who can pressure and Rob just made them look silly. His change of pace and he's got some of the best feet. And when he goes he is blazing fast. Love him! On defense, he can get around screens and recover so quickly. Just in awe tonight of what we have in him going forward. 

Not sure what buttons Archie has pushed, but this team is just totally different. The confidence they played with on the road tonight was shocking compared to what we've witnessed the past several weeks. Great job on everyone's part. Even you guys with the puns....maybe those were the buttons pushed...hmmm.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

Mistakes don't bother me.  Not learning from them does.

Perfectly stated! We've covered 6 straight games now and could have won all 6. During that stretch we've addressed the things I had major issues with. It's getting better. The fact that we can't shoot well was never our biggest problem. The bigger problem was that we wouldn't shoot the ball early when open shots were there. It made us predictable and super easy to defend. We also looked timid pushing the ball up the court and became overly reliant on running the offense.

Tonight was the first time that I felt like we genuinely wanted to score the basketball. We pushed it. We took the available shots and we if it wasn't there early on then we ran the damn offense. 

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Perfectly stated! We've covered 6 straight games now and could have won all 6. During that stretch we've addressed the things I had major issues with. It's getting better. The fact that we can't shoot well was never our biggest problem. The bigger problem was that we wouldn't shoot the ball early when open shots were there. It made us predictable and super easy to defend. We also looked timid pushing the ball up the court and became overly reliant on running the offense.

Tonight was the first time that I felt like we genuinely wanted to score the basketball. We pushed it. We took the available shots and we if it wasn't there early on then we ran the damn offense. 

This, I agree with! The freedom, confidence and willingness to freely attack is huge!

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Nope. What we call clear and obvious mistakes are based on ur opinions from watching g a 40 minute game. With zero insight into the other 99.99% of the week.

Not saying he is infallible at all. I am just saying what we view as obvious is not so obvious because the truth is we do not know squat about what is truly going on. Good or bad.

Actually that's not even remotely close to the truth and if you really do believe that then I think you're missing out on so many beautiful things about basketball. You just give up on everything that you do and never attempt to figure it out and look at the finer details? I would expect better from Hoosier fans. You should always expect better basketball. The mindset in your post is how mediocrity set it for the past 25 seasons and part of the reason why we lost blueblood status.

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Did anyone else think Archie’s demeanor in the postgame interview was kind of strange?  Seemed more subdued than usual... Whatever he’s doing, it seems to be working.

He is thinking the same as the rest of us.  'We're healthy, confident, and executing'.  He was thinking how easily we would be in the tourney as opposed to being on an expanding thinning bubble.

50 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Lots of off ball screens tonight. Didn’t see the weave which was nice. Good spread on the floor. It always helps also when shots go down. 

Almost forgot to mention the D. Great team effort on D.

The offense was generally moving in so many directions off ball it was nearly indistinguishable from the offense we’ve seen all season. Also, the depth, my lord the depth is finally showing.

This is what we’d hoped to see in Jan-Feb from this team. I maintain, injuries l, particularly to Phinisee set us back all year.

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Actually that's not even remotely close to the truth and if you really do believe that then I think you're missing out on so many beautiful things about basketball. You just give up on everything that you do and never attempt to figure it out and look at the finer details? I would expect better from Hoosier fans. You should always expect better basketball. The mindset in your post is how mediocrity set it for the past 25 seasons and part of the reason why we lost blueblood status.

And you superiority complex with 10% of the actual facts is what's wrong with our fan base. We can both play this game.

You are the epitome of the "I know everyrhing" guy when truth is you do not know a damn thing aboit the day to day of this team. 

But hey, you can pretend you are the smartest guy in the room because you have lofty expectatuons.

10 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I totally agree, but average (30-35%) 3 point shooting would've helped too. But the issues you've stated on offense was the biggest problem. 

I was kind of surprised Rob only had 5 assists in this game... I would’ve guessed it was more.  Just a dominant performance by him on both ends, handled their press like it was nothing.  He’s the type of guard that can spark a run in March.

What might be kind of overlooked in the point explosion is the fact that we held them to 32 in the second half.  Clicking on offense and defense.

I can point out what my issues were with my eyes. I can point out the data behind it why that isn't working. I can point out the adjustments that needed to be made and then I can point out the data of how it can be done.

It's called scientific theory and an hypothesis. The hypothesis was true and that's called a fact.

It's really fun game! What's even more fun is when the changes start to happen that you proved needed changing.

I've been doing this for 20 plus years now. It's not some random chaotic bullcrap.

Just now, ADegenerate said:

I can point out what my issues were with my eyes. I can point out the data behind it why that isn't working. I can point out the adjustments that needed to be made and then I can point out the data of how it can be done.

It's called scientific theory and an hypothesis. The hypothesis was true and that's called a fact.

It's really fun game! What's even more fun is when the changes start to happen that you proved needed changing.

I've been doing this for 20 plus years now. It's not some random chaotic bullcrap.

20 years? I thought you were a medical student? How old are you anyway?

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Good on you, stroke yourself another time. we dont care.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

20 years? I thought you were a medical student? How old are you anyway?

I'm 34. I started fooling data 20 years ago. I'm a big believer in big data. It holds the keys to everything. Whether you find the right things and are looking in the right direction is another thing.

8 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Again, the smartest guy in the room. This isnt a video game. It is real people. So data all you want to genius.

Maybe "data" says we should play Rob and Justin together all the time. The data may not tell you Rob said something bad about Justin's mom while drunk at a fraternity party. Therefore, Rob says he will never pass the ball to Justin.

Well, damn, there goes my data! The data says they should play nice!

I get annoyed when people present themselves as so damn smart because they own a calculator and have nonidea what is like to manage 15 teenage egos and drama.

There is data, and there is the real world of teenage drama, egos and emotions.

Just now, ADegenerate said:

You think that's what it's about? Not true at all! It's all fun pal. Ideally I'd get a little more pushback and debate but nobody wants to step up to that.

We just won a big game,pal. no one cares you need your ego stroked.

Archived