Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

21 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

He is thinking the same as the rest of us.  'We're healthy, confident, and executing'.  He was thinking how easily we would be in the tourney as opposed to being on an expanding thinning bubble.

CAM has been here before. 

We might've been panicking, CAM wasn't. Gotta say, the way he has brought this team together -- and he deserves some of the credit for sure -- is pretty damn sweet

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Again, the smartest guy in the room. This isnt a video game. It is real people. So data all you want to genius.

Maybe "data" says we should play Rob and Justin together all the time. The data may not tell you Rob said something bad about Justin's mom while drunk at a fraternity party. Therefore, Rob says he will never pass the ball to Justin.

Well, damn, there goes my data! The data says they should play nice!

I get annoyed when people present themselves as so damn smart because they own a calculator and have nonidea what is like to manage 15 teenage egos and drama.

There is data, and there is the real world of teenage drama, egos and emotions.

That's perfectly fine that you feel that way. There's a left and right brain. It's not for you but you also don't understand it. You're not interested in it so I wont engage you with it. I am though and I believe in the work that I've put in. I'll continue to share that data and I'll continue to share my conclusions until I'm proved wrong.

You keep referring to me as someone who's the smartest guy in the room. That's not true. Have I put the most work into it and more thought into it than anyone else here? I'd say definitely. 

Just now, ADegenerate said:

I'm 34. I started fooling data 20 years ago. I'm a big believer in big data. It holds the keys to everything. Whether you find the right things and are looking in the right direction is another thing.

OK...and there are many things unexplainable by data.  Anyone can point out mistakes with 20/20 hindsight so of course, Archie is not infallible and made mistakes. Hall of fame coaches are not above making mistakes, especially in the heat of battle.  Sometimes, in the midst of a run by an opposing team, it's hard to find the time to compile all the game data necessary to make completely sound decisions 100% of the time.

You'll get a lot more respect if you just swallow your pride and admit that you gave up way too quickly on this coach.  Arguing that Miller suddenly learned how to coach these last six games just makes you look silly.  It's pretty obvious in hindsight that not only was he dealing with a ridiculous amount of injury, more importantly, there was a pretty serious locker room issue that no amount of correct tactical decision-making was going to fix on the spot.  This staff assessed a serious attitude problem and appears to have pushed all the right buttons in resolving the issue.  Chemistry issues often take time to resolve.

...and you seriously are a fan of big data but yet can't see that shooting was a major factor in the losing streak?  Wow...

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

That's perfectly fine that you feel that way. There's a left and right brain. It's not for you but you also don't understand it. You're not interested in it so I wont engage you with it. I am though and I believe in the work that I've put in. I'll continue to share that data and I'll continue to share my conclusions until I'm proved wrong.

You keep referring to me as someone who's the smartest guy in the room. That's not true. Have I put the most work into it and more thought into it than anyone else here? I'd say definitely. 

Ok, got it.

You would crack up and look foolish if I shared my background and education, and matched it up with your assumption that I do not understand "it".  It is precious.

Have fun data guy.

Meanwhile, we kick Illinois' ass and I am happy.  

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Ok, got it.

You would crack up and look foolish if I shared my background and education, and matched it up with your assumption that I do not understand "it".  It is precious.

Have fun data guy.

If you were to measure your happiness, what would the data say? 

5 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Poker player to med student...I ain't coming to you.

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

We just won a big game,pal. no one cares you need your ego stroked.

Can't we all eat here? I spent two and a half hours last night on the phone discussing IU with a buddy of mine because we love the game and we love the program. No ego or stroking involved just two people bouncing ideas and opinions trying to learn more. Tonight was perfect. Everything brought up was addressed tonight. I will stroke and I'll stroke it more because it feels good! You will learn to to like it too!

The offense just looked totally different tonight.  Granted, Illinois doesn't have the lineup to really deal with inside pressure, but the spacing, East West Ball movement, and off the ball movement was probably the best it has been all season.  Rob is just flat out amazing, and its almost scary how much he is improving with each game as he gets further removed from the concussion.  We should be grateful to have had Romeo, but RP has the real makings of a Hoosier Legend.  Also, how many of us want to take back our criticisms of Green and Smith and are praying they come back next year?

Great, great win, and has KoB said, huge that we dominated. Rob Phinisee is a stud. When looking back, he’s going to be the most important recruit of the early Archie Miller era.

As far as the data, it will show this team was terrible in January, which is correct. What the data won’t show is that Phinisee’s concussion, and Davis’ ankle injury to a lesser extent, completely derailed the middle of the season for IU. The data might say were bad during the 12 out of 13 losses, but the data won’t tell you that with those two healthy this team is a tournament lock right now, not on the bubble. 

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Can't we all eat here? I spent two and a half hours last night on the phone discussing IU with a buddy of mine because we love the game and we love the program. No ego or stroking involved just two people bouncing ideas and opinions trying to learn more. Tonight was perfect. Everything brought up was addressed tonight. I will stroke and I'll stroke it more because it feels good! You will learn to to like it too!

Did he beat your full house?  Or did you have the "Deadman's Hand"?

You seem to think you are better/smarter than us.  You mention it all the time about your exams, studying, etc.  Want me to beat my own drum...constantly?  That is what you do.  

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Great, great win, and has KoB said, huge that we dominated. Rob Phinisee is a stud. When looking back, he’s going to be the most important recruit of the early Archie Miller era.

As far as the data, it will show this team was terrible in January, which is correct. What the data won’t show is that Phinisee’s concussion, and Davis’ ankle injury to a lesser extent, completely derailed the middle of the season for IU. The data might say were bad during the 12 out of 13 losses, but the data won’t tell you that with those two healthy this team is a tournament lock right now, not on the bubble. 

I just saw Data.......on "Star Trek: The next generation".

3 minutes ago, IUinLA said:

The offense just looked totally different tonight.  Granted, Illinois doesn't have the lineup to really deal with inside pressure, but the spacing, East West Ball movement, and off the ball movement was probably the best it has been all season.  Rob is just flat out amazing, and its almost scary how much he is improving with each game as he gets further removed from the concussion.  We should be grateful to have had Romeo, but RP has the real makings of a Hoosier Legend.  Also, how many of us want to take back our criticisms of Green and Smith and are praying they come back next year?

On one trip in the 2nd half we had 4 back cuts in a row, I about crapped myself.

4 minutes ago, IUinLA said:

Welcome to the board.

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok, got it.

Have fun data guy.

You didn't understand it though. Your post was actually the epitome of someone who's not getting it. 

We did kick their ass and I'm happy as well! 

Cheers pal. Different strokes for different folks. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

And the locker room - chemistry issue was real. CAM came out and said things needed to change in a big way, and when asked about Smith’s improvement his immediate answer - attitude. 

The guys over the past 4 games are playing really well together. Chemistry is huge, and it’s great to see them weather a mud-season breakdown 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

And the locker room - chemistry issue was real. CAM came out and said things needed to change in a big way, and when asked about Smith’s improvement his immediate answer - attitude. 

The guys over the past 4 games are playing really well together. Chemistry is huge, and it’s great to see them weather a mud-season breakdown 

Certainly was a mud-season at one point.

8 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

You didn't understand it though. Your post was actually the epitome of someone who's not getting it. 

We did kick their ass and I'm happy as well! 

Cheers pal. Different strokes for different folks. 

Ok, I do not get it. Fine.

Regardless, I guess we can find common ground in sharing the satisfaction off an important win.

I usually love what you bring here. Just cut back the "me so smart, you not" stuff and it would be much more enjoyable to discuss and debate with you. Just my advice.  :)

Archived