Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Did he beat your full house?  Or did you have the "Deadman's Hand"?

You seem to think you are better/smarter than us.  You mention it all the time about your exams, studying, etc.  Want me to beat my own drum...constantly?  That is what you do.  

That's not at all true and that's an indictment on my character to be honest. I've never made it personal and I don't believe that I'm smarter than anyone here (other than Scott). I beat my own drum and post the way that I do because I'm talking to the collective rather than the individual. What you're doing is assuming that I'm lording over people and believe that I'm better than anyone. That's not true at all. I'm simply casting my net out there and if anyone wants to catch it that's fine. If they don't then that's fine too. 

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly (to post above about not wanting to face this team now). We have found our groove. Healthy, weathered some real chemistry issues, battle tested having run the gauntlet of a really, really tough B1G, swept MSU, winning must win games back to back. 

Still work to do, but putting in good work, and dangerous for sure 

29 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I just finished a 6 pack of zombie dust. The data says "go to bed, loser".

Not sure how to interpret that.

Data should have told you to buy a 6 pack of gumball head for the post party.

53 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok, I do not get it. Fine.

Regardless, I guess we can find common ground in sharing the satisfaction off an important win.

I usually love what you bring here. Just cut back the "me so smart, you not" stuff and it would be much more enjoyable to discuss and debate with you. Just my advice.  :)

I will gladly take that advice and I’ll try to cut it down. @ricothinks it’s self absorption and arrogance but it’s just catharsis. Is there a word for kinda sorry, but not really sorry, but also kinda sorry? It’s either you all or the cat. 😂

Thats too funny Rico saying that you wouldn’t go to me. I just got my entrance exams back.... VAI is you’re adjustment index to determine if you’re fit for the job and Im in the 99th % 

DF2C28FD-46CB-49A7-AD44-74E1BC5655AB.jpeg

14 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Don't most med students start earlier?  Wouldn't choose a 42 yr old fresh out of med school doctor myself. C's get degrees right?

Actually we don't get A, B, C, D & F in medical school. It's honors, high honors, pass & fail. We like to say P = MD

30 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I will gladly take that advice and I’ll try to cut it down. @ricothinks it’s self absorption and arrogance but it’s just catharsis. Is there a word for kinda sorry, but not really sorry, but also kinda sorry? It’s either you all or the cat. 😂

Thats too funny Rico saying that you wouldn’t go to me. I just got my entrance exams back.... VAI is you’re adjustment index to determine if you’re fit for the job and Im in the 99th % 

DF2C28FD-46CB-49A7-AD44-74E1BC5655AB.jpeg

Show us the rest of the lower scores!

You know I'm gonna keep dogging you about how you dogged on Archie...I'm looking forward to the day when you admit you were way wrong on that one.:P

One thing that keep sticking out to me is when you said it was all about the data...you played a lot of poker.  I'm surprised you would be so hung up on the data part when there's an absolute art to reading your opponent in poker and no amount of data can eliminate the importance of being able to read an opponent.  For me, data is never the whole picture and IU's losing streak is a perfect example of that.  There was a lot of psychological/emotional stuff that you can't quantify statistically and to me, those are much harder issues to resolve than the numbers.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

You know I'm gonna keep dogging you about how you dogged on Archie...I'm looking forward to the day when you admit you were way wrong on that one.:P

One thing that keep sticking out to me is when you said it was all about the data...you played a lot of poker.  I'm surprised you would be so hung up on the data part when there's an absolute art to reading your opponent in poker and no amount of data can eliminate the importance of being able to read an opponent.  For me, data is never the whole picture and IU's losing streak is a perfect example of that.  There was a lot of psychological/emotional stuff that you can't quantify statistically and to me, those are much harder issues to resolve than the numbers.

My friend! It's good to hear from you. This place is just fantastic and I appreciate the people here that put up with my nonsense. This has been a playground of sorts and my little hideout where I can release stress and negative energy. I honestly have no idea why this is the case but I just have it out for the fan base. I don't respect them and I do think that I'm smarter than they are. It's very bizarre because emotional control is obviously something I'm very good at. I learned how to turn off anger and resentment as soon as it popped in my head over a decade ago. I've been playing it both ways on here. I like and very much respect the people on the site but I still have it out for IU fans. I guess I had no problem letting myself look like the bad guy on here because that gave me a chance to stick it to the IU fans and be a jerk of sorts as a justification to get rid of some of this negative energy? Weirdly enough I think I finessed that pretty well actually because I do like the people here and I have made efforts at that. 

Well, I guess it's time to give that up. I can't really play both sides if I'm flat out admitting I was playing both sides. The brain is wild man. Very bizarre fella that does what it wants without you knowing it's doing it. Crazy if you think about it. 

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I’m not afraid! I got in comfortably but I somehow bombed my two of my better categories. I’m too old for med school. I wanted to be a surgeon and contemplated it but I ended up settling for Surgical First Assist. My scope of practice will be fairly significant though. I wanted in on the action where everything is on the line and the pressure is on. I go big man. That’s the way to go. Oh yeah! I forgot. My annoyance with IU fans started back in high school and into college when everyone seemed fine with mediocrity and living off of past glory. That’s what it was

DC7B4CC0-BEC6-4DB6-BEA3-1DCD8E97ACEC.jpeg

There ya go. Moderate intelligence at best ya dopes.

4 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Can't we all eat here? I spent two and a half hours last night on the phone discussing IU with a buddy of mine because we love the game and we love the program. No ego or stroking involved just two people bouncing ideas and opinions trying to learn more. Tonight was perfect. Everything brought up was addressed tonight. I will stroke and I'll stroke it more because it feels good! You will learn to to like it too!

2579455B-3B8A-45D1-8A2A-0388BA6BC354.jpeg

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

My friend! It's good to hear from you. This place is just fantastic and I appreciate the people here that put up with my nonsense. This has been a playground of sorts and my little hideout where I can release stress and negative energy. I honestly have no idea why this is the case but I just have it out for the fan base. I don't respect them and I do think that I'm smarter than they are. It's very bizarre because emotional control is obviously something I'm very good at. I learned how to turn off anger and resentment as soon as it popped in my head over a decade ago. I've been playing it both ways on here. I like and very much respect the people on the site but I still have it out for IU fans. I guess I had no problem letting myself look like the bad guy on here because that gave me a chance to stick it to the IU fans and be a jerk of sorts as a justification to get rid of some of this negative energy? Weirdly enough I think I finessed that pretty well actually because I do like the people here and I have made efforts at that. 

Well, I guess it's time to give that up. I can't really play both sides if I'm flat out admitting I was playing both sides. The brain is wild man. Very bizarre fella that does what it wants without you knowing it's doing it. Crazy if you think about it. 

WOW!  You do realize we are IU fans on here, right?

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Dr.Phil is just a phone call away if you need to talk.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ironically enough I was 90% art and 10% math for the first few years. I felt like the other side was dirty and I avoided it for as long as I could until stagnation crept in and I had no choice. I skyrocketed up the ranks after I embraced it. Big data is just a written record. It's the history of what's transpired. It's that simple. Your history is on there. Every action you take is on there. In the moment everyone of us feels like we're making good decisions most of the time. When you make small mistakes you never feel them. It's convenient to avoid the history. In our minds we aren't making mistakes but we're making so many small ones that lead into big ones. If you're willing to take a look it will show you definitively what you did wrong. 

In your example you're focusing on things that are completely irrelevant. The issues you're talking about are random elements that happen to every other team as well as ours. You're making excuses for loses and when it happens in your favor and gives you wins you're not even aware that it happened and are giving yourself the credit. That's the type of thing that I talk about when I say people don't understand data. 

The bold part is just not true. Year in and year out these coaches almost always end up with the same types of numbers. 

People get so frustrated with me because I point out how that the system sucks but you're not listening to what I'm saying. I'm trying to say the system sucks and its terrible for trying to win a national championship. Sean Miller is fantastic always wins 30 games but never has anything to show for it. Tony Bennett is the best regular season coach in the world but nothing every comes of it. Archie is a great coach and his teams play pretty good basketball but the written history of the game shows in great detail that his system projects very poorly.

I've offered up solutions based on the history of the game on what needs to be tweaked to gain a small edge here and there. If (data haters) want to deny that then that's fine but it's wrong.

6 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Actually that's not even remotely close to the truth and if you really do believe that then I think you're missing out on so many beautiful things about basketball. You just give up on everything that you do and never attempt to figure it out and look at the finer details? I would expect better from Hoosier fans. You should always expect better basketball. The mindset in your post is how mediocrity set it for the past 25 seasons and part of the reason why we lost blueblood status.

Good grief. No it's not. You're a fan, nothing more. 

Our offense didnt miraculously get better. We have for sure improved on some things.. but the bottom line is.. ILL pressures and we flat out have some dudes that can make you pay for that ignorance. Romeo, RP are special off the dribble. Morgan, DG, and Durham are all very solid. Finishers with Davis and Smith. The penetration also allowed for offensive rebounding opportunities, as well. We had 13 Orebs and I'll bet 8 were in the first half and probably converted those into 10 or so points in the first half.

I like where we're at.. and I love the idea that RP is going to be a Hoosier for awhile. Last for 4 games he's avg 11.5p 4a 3.8r and has avged less than a TO a game in that stretch. Big time numbers. 

Jumped on quick before work expecting a celebration and instead get a lesson in statistics? Reminds me of a statement at the beginning of one of my stat books. "Statistics are like someone in a bathing suit, they show a lot but not everything"

GO IU, Great Win!

17 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Jumped on quick before work expecting a celebration and instead get a lesson in statistics? Reminds me of a statement at the beginning of one of my stat books. "Statistics are like someone in a bathing suit, they show a lot but not everything"

GO IU, Great Win!

Are you a poker player turned med student?  LOL

7 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I'm 34. I started fooling data 20 years ago. I'm a big believer in big data. It holds the keys to everything. Whether you find the right things and are looking in the right direction is another thing.

I work with this stuff every day. I see HiveQL queries and HDFS configurations in my sleep. And holy hell could I not disagree more.

Data is nothing more than a map, and a map is only as good as the person reading it. Hand some people a map and they're still lost. Hand the right person even a below average map and they'll still find their way around.

Big data isn't the key to everything. The person interpreting it is.

There's a famous example that is from WW2. The US military wanted to reinforce the areas of planes that were most likely to cause a crash if hit by enemy fire. So they began recording the location of every bullet hole on every plane they could find and the level of damage it caused. They compiled all of this, mapping out the average likelihood of area hit, average level of damage, so on and so on. After the crew of engineers compiled all of this, did they reinforce those areas that showed the highest tendency to get hit?

Nope. They reinforced the areas that showed almost no damage. A pilot pointed out to them that "You're only looking at the planes that made it back."

Data can tell you a lot of things. It takes the right person to look for the things it isn't telling you.

You can have every statistical tool out there and still be wrong if you're interpreting it wrong. I've done it many, many times.

Archived