Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

10 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Are you willing to admit that he was making clear and obvious mistakes though? 

No, the only things that changed was some attitudes from some players and they got healthy.  He really has not changed is coaching philosophy at all so I don't see that he was making huge mistakes before.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is getting me more excited about the future is how Green and Smith has totally changed their mindsets and how they are playing.  We are all worrying if Brooks is coming or not but if Smith can keep playing like this next year and Hunter is fully healthy then not getting Brooks won't hurt that much.

Just now, IU Scott said:

What is getting me more excited about the future is how Green and Smith has totally changed their mindsets and how they are playing.  We are all worrying if Brooks is coming or not but if Smith can keep playing like this next year and Hunter is fully healthy then not getting Brooks won't hurt that much.

Spot on!

I was openly critical of Justin Smith earlier in the year. Given the body language and his Dad's actions I think I had the right to be. With that said...whatever has happened in between his ears is working. This version of Justin Smith is very nice to watch. Seems more involved with everyone. Maybe he realized a few things about himself and used those negatives as motivation to get better. 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I'll go ahead and delete my post that I was getting ready to submit. Took the words out of my mouth. 

Thinking about the future.  Rob P. barring any major injuries has an opportunity to go into the annals of IUBB history, IMHO. This season has proven what he means to this team. Both when he is playing, and recovering from an injury. 

Romeo Langford, on the other hand.... will be an afterthought .  At least in my mind.

That's the difference between a one and done, and a career IU player. 

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This sums up the mood on the Illini board:

What was the defensive game plan? Team was poorly prepared for this game. Out hustled, outcoached, outplayed. Horrible free throw shooting.

and this:

If tonight didn't give him pause about this scheme, nothing will. IU has 1.58 points per possession in the first half. Their previous high was 1.29 against....Chicago St. I don't care how undermanned we are inside. That is completely unacceptable and embarrassing.

Funny stuff. I'd be asking my coach what his line of thinking was having Aaron Jordan guard Juwan Morgan? Haha. 

I can point out what my issues were with my eyes. I can point out the data behind it why that isn't working. I can point out the adjustments that needed to be made and then I can point out the data of how it can be done.

It's called scientific theory and an hypothesis. The hypothesis was true and that's called a fact.

It's really fun game! What's even more fun is when the changes start to happen that you proved needed changing.

I've been doing this for 20 plus years now. It's not some random chaotic bullcrap.

People like you who base everything on analytics is what is running the game of basketball.  You don't look for a more deeper meaning on what happens and you don't look at intangible things that cuases a team to win or lose.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thinking about the future.  Rob P. barring any major injuries has an opportunity to go into the annals of IUBB history, IMHO. This season has proven what he means to this team. Both when he is playing, and recovering from an injury. 

Romeo Langford, on the other hand.... will be an afterthought .  At least in my mind.

That's the difference between a one and done, and a career IU player. 

Yeah. Oddly, I had a similar thought. There is no doubt he has been one of two primary contributors to this team, but in the last couple weeks, with the emergence of the team we’ve all been waiting to see, Romeo, the individual, has been absorbed by the team approach. To his credit, as has been the case all season, he seems to be a more than willing participant. Still, it’s team ball, guys accelling in their roles, that has propelled us back into contention.

That said, as much as I am able to stomach NBA ball, I’ll always root as hard as I can for Romeo. He’s been a tremendous boon for our program and he’s been a great young man to the fans and his fellow teammates.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Both Smith and Green deserved a lot of criticism earlier this season, but something Archie said when he got the job was that IU needed to get old and stay old. I'll fully admit that as recent as two weeks ago I was already getting excited for who we could bring in to replace both, but looking at it now, while I'd love to add another shooter at guard (maybe the McNeil kid), the best thing for IU is for Smith and Green to have the light bulb go on, become consistent, and stay with the program. Both becoming reliable contributors, with Smith potentially turning into even more, would be huge feathers in Archie Miller's cap.

A senior Smith in 2020-21 to go along with a Jr. Phinisee, RS So. Hunter, So. TJD and hopefully So. Brooks, along with our other guys developing and improving, would be an very, very good team. 

That's perfectly fine that you feel that way. There's a left and right brain. It's not for you but you also don't understand it. You're not interested in it so I wont engage you with it. I am though and I believe in the work that I've put in. I'll continue to share that data and I'll continue to share my conclusions until I'm proved wrong.

You keep referring to me as someone who's the smartest guy in the room. That's not true. Have I put the most work into it and more thought into it than anyone else here? I'd say definitely. 

This is what gets me about people who solely base everything on analytics is that they think they invented the game and people who doesn't share their enthusiasm for it does not know anything.

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Rob P. barring any major injuries has an opportunity to go into the annals of IUBB history, IMHO.

These may be words that come back to haunt me, but I think he could wind up better than Yogi, and I don't make that statement lightly at all. 

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

A month ago, to quote Hawk Harrellson: He gone.  Keep playing like this, and Romeo is at least going to have to think about the decision a little more. 

26 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Yeah. Oddly, I had a similar thought. There is no doubt he has been one of two primary contributors to this team, but in the last couple weeks, with the emergence of the team we’ve all been waiting to see, Romeo, the individual, has been absorbed by the team approach. To his credit, as has been the case all season, he seems to be a more than willing participant. Still, it’s team ball, guys accelling in their roles, that has propelled us back into contention.

That said, as much as I am able to stomach NBA ball, I’ll always root as hard as I can for Romeo. He’s been a tremendous boon for our program and he’s been a great young man to the fans and his fellow teammates.

I'm going to give a little push back here. Romeo is the best player on the team, the other teams' defense is largely grounded in controlling his scoring, and what he's doing is, admirably, not forcing it and playing within that team concept. One of the reasons other guys are scoring more and more efficiently is because of the defensive focus on Romeo. He is far from an after thought. Gotta say, that's kind of insulting to him. He's a truly great player and a major reason for our winning streak, and all the wins that came before it.

9 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

That's not at all true and that's an indictment on my character to be honest. I've never made it personal and I don't believe that I'm smarter than anyone here (other than Scott). I beat my own drum and post the way that I do because I'm talking to the collective rather than the individual. What you're doing is assuming that I'm lording over people and believe that I'm better than anyone. That's not true at all. I'm simply casting my net out there and if anyone wants to catch it that's fine. If they don't then that's fine too. 

I forgotten more about the actual game of basketball than you will ever know.  --------------------- wish you would go to rivals where you are better suited.  Anyone who just uses analytics doe snot know the game but you just memorize useless stats that have no bearing on anything that actually happens on the court.

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Both Smith and Green deserved a lot of criticism earlier this season, but something Archie said when he got the job was that IU needed to get old and stay old. I'll fully admit that as recent as two weeks ago I was already getting excited for who we could bring in to replace both, but looking at it now, while I'd love to add another shooter at guard (maybe the McNeil kid), the best thing for IU is for Smith and Green to have the light bulb go on, become consistent, and stay with the program. Both becoming reliable contributors, with Smith potentially turning into even more, would be huge feathers in Archie Miller's cap.

A senior Smith in 2020-21 to go along with a Jr. Phinisee, RS So. Hunter, So. TJD and hopefully So. Brooks, along with our other guys developing and improving, would be an very, very good team. 

Green had an absolutely fantastic game last night. Rob did as well, for sure and deserves all the praise he's getting, but yes, Green, along with Smith, were a big part of that W, and it's great to see them playing solid, focused ball. The attitude adjustment, the chemistry rebuild, has them playing to their potential, great to see, and yeah, building depth of experience is important.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm going to give a little push back here. Romeo is the best player on the team, the other teams' defense is largely grounded in controlling his scoring, and what he's doing is, admirably, not forcing it and playing within that team concept. One of the reasons other guys are scoring more and more efficiently is because of the defensive focus on Romeo. He is far from an after thought. Gotta say, that's kind of insulting to him. He's a truly great player and a major reason for our winning steak, and all the wins that came before it.

Yep. Romeo won't ever be an after thought in my mind. He opened the gates for Archie recruiting. Without him do we get TJD? Not sure but I know it didn't hurt. Romeo to me has solidified his top 7/8 pick status. When it's time to go he goes...but he isn't selfish about it. He isn't putting up 31 shots per game like some other guys who get credited as a team first guy. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I forgotten more about the actual game of basketball than you will ever know.  ----------------- and wish you would go to rivals where you are better suited.  Anyone who just uses analytics doe snot know the game but you just memorize useless stats that have no bearing on anything that actually happens on the court.

I dont understand why IU Scott gets away with things like this. I've seen him do it before. Really brings down the quality of this board. 

19 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I dont understand why IU Scott gets away with things like this. I've seen him do it before. Really brings down the quality of this board. 

You have the ability to report posts to the mod team. Please use it rather than posting things like this on the board.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

A couple of things I noticed...

I thought when De'ron got in Bezhanishvili's face for getting physical it was a turning point. Giorgio had backed down Juwan a couple of times and got easy hoops. He tried it on De'ron and it wasn't flying. I said in another thread, De'ron is an emotional leader on this team. We're much better with him playing a lot of minutes.

And the other thing I can't help but think, is Illinois pressure defense plays into our hands. It allows our guys to drive past them and, if we can finish through contact, score. They're physical, and we were able to take it. Teams that sag off a little and let us shoot from outside, while clogging the paint seem to have more success against us, although our outside shooting has improved.

On to Senior Night, where I hope the guys can give Evan, Juwan, Zach, and Quentin a good send off!

I agree, De'Ron has turned into our tough guy. That's a couple games now where he has squared off with an opponent.

If this Justin Smith is here to stay, I was dead wrong about him. I was rubbed the wrong way by his body language and his father’s actions. I liked what I saw from him and Devonte again last night. Whole team was having fun and was so great to watch. Hope we make the tournament, cause we could be very dangerous!

5 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

If this Justin Smith is here to stay, I was dead wrong about him. I was rubbed the wrong way by his body language and his father’s actions. I liked what I saw from him and Devonte again last night. Whole team was having fun and was so great to watch. Hope we make the tournament, cause we could be very dangerous!

What 5 seed wants to play last nights IU team as a 12 seed?

Archived