Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Show us the rest of the lower scores!

You know I'm gonna keep dogging you about how you dogged on Archie...I'm looking forward to the day when you admit you were way wrong on that one.:P

One thing that keep sticking out to me is when you said it was all about the data...you played a lot of poker.  I'm surprised you would be so hung up on the data part when there's an absolute art to reading your opponent in poker and no amount of data can eliminate the importance of being able to read an opponent.  For me, data is never the whole picture and IU's losing streak is a perfect example of that.  There was a lot of psychological/emotional stuff that you can't quantify statistically and to me, those are much harder issues to resolve than the numbers.

I dont know about all this stuff - however - I am happy for the win and for how the team is playing.

Now get to at least 19 wins!!

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm going to give a little push back here. Romeo is the best player on the team, the other teams' defense is largely grounded in controlling his scoring, and what he's doing is, admirably, not forcing it and playing within that team concept. One of the reasons other guys are scoring more and more efficiently is because of the defensive focus on Romeo. He is far from an after thought. Gotta say, that's kind of insulting to him. He's a truly great player and a major reason for our winning streak, and all the wins that came before it.

Better send that memo to Carsen Edwards.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

What 5 seed wants to play last nights IU team as a 12 seed?

None in their right minds. 

It's been far too long since I've been able to say this, but we're a team that nobody wants as a first round matchup right now. 

Let me say it again.  So no one will twist my words or meanings.  Granted that Romeo has been an integral part of this team. But where was he during the string of BIG losses ?
 Certainly did not carry this team on his shoulders.... like the pre-season hype we all slurped. In fact, it could be stated that with the return of guys like Rob P., that that has made Romeo a  better player.   But more importantly, should Romeo not return after this year.... he will be just an after thought for me, when I consider all the ones who stayed and helped the IUBB. Guys like D.J White and others.  Not just now, but going back for decades.  Even McGinnis as great as he was, can never go down in history as an IU icon, as far as I am concerned.  Gotta stay longer for that to happen.  In other words.... one season, does not make an IU icon. 

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Let me say it again.  So no one will twist my words or meanings.  Granted that Romeo has been an integral part of this team. But where was he during the string of BIG losses ?
 Certainly did not carry this team on his shoulders.... like the pre-season hype we all slurped. In fact, it could be stated that with the return of guys like Rob P., that that has made Romeo a  better player.   But more importantly, should Romeo not return after this year.... he will be just an after thought for me, when I consider all the ones who stayed and helped the IUBB. Guys like D.J White and others.  Not just now, but going back for decades.  Even McGinnis as great as he was, can never go down in history as an IU icon, as far as I am concerned.  Gotta stay longer for that to happen.  In other words.... one season, does not make an IU icon. 

How about Cody, Vic and Isiah?

They aren't IU icons?

25 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Freshmen typically are not asked to put the entire team on their shoulders.  I don't see anyone criticizing Barrett, Jones, and Reddish for Duke's uneven play since Zion went down.  

And, the 'slurp' comment is a little harsh.  If anyone thought Romeo was a 'savior', that's on them.

I may be Romeo's bIggest fan on the board. After Romeo committed, I predicted he would average 14-15 a game and was criticized for that.  But, I knew that was who Romeo was.  He is not nor ever will be Trae Young.  That does not make him someone we shouldn't appreciate though.

Edit: And Trae Young's team was not so good despite all the credit he got for what he did.

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Couldn't help but think last night, is Rob becoming an even more vital player to this team than Romeo? Granted, Romeo draws up TONS of attention and is still largely very productive, but wow what a performance by Rob last night. One thing is sure though, having multiple "best players" on this team makes us that much more dangerous. 

Great win last night. So many good performances to praise. Like many others, I had many frustrations with Green and Smith, suspecting they may have been cancerous to the team. We'll never know what exactly went down in the locker room during the rough stretch, but regardless glad they are stepping up and playing their role. Special props to Smith for staying within himself last night and being highly productive...did not force up any threes. Rob, what a performance. This team is becoming deep very quickly with so many individuals stepping up their performance. So excited for the rest of the season, something I didn't think I'd be able to say a couple weeks back. Go get em Arch! 

If you don't live in Indiana, you can't even begin to understand how important Romeo was/is to basketball in the State.  

His impact goes way, way beyond how many points he scores (and we tend to ignore his rebounding and other things he does for some reason).

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Freshmen typically are not asked to put the entire team on their shoulders.  I don't see anyone criticizing Barrett, Jones, and Reddish for Duke's uneven play since Zion went down.  

And, the 'slurp' comment is a little harsh.  If anyone thought Romeo was a 'savior', that's on them.

I may be Romeo's biggest fan on the board. After Romeo committed, I predicted he would average 14-15 a game and was criticized for that.  But, I knew that was who Romeo was.  He is not nor ever will be Trae Young.  That does not make him someone we shouldn't appreciate though.

Despite his accuracy from distance issues, Romeo makes everyone around him better.  The other players had the games they did last night partially because of the defensive attention Romeo gets.  Thankfully, Romeo is not like Sir Shoots-A-Lot at Turdue and doesn't force things.  He's a very unselfish young man and wants to win.

I don't pine for the '80's like Scott and I'm not dogmatic about having to stay four years to be a legend like Milehi.  I'm more along the lines of what did you contribute while you were here.  Romeo is much more special to me than say, Noah Vonleh and I'm not going to hold his desire to play professionally against him.  He's a Hoosier legend in my mind RIGHT NOW.

7 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

They all played more than one season.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that was part of Mile's point.

If Isiah played today, would he have played more than one season?  Would we have gotten 4 years out of May, Buckner, Henderson, and Cheaney?

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Isiah played today, would he have played more than one season?  Would we have gotten 4 years out of May, Buckner, Henderson, and Cheaney?

Doubtful, especially with the culture that they would experience now versus when they actually played.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Oh it absolutely does. You dont live in Indiana. 

Romeo absolutely had Damon Bailey hype. 

This is a video I still have on my phone that I shot at Seymour last year. Want to know what time this was? 545pm on Friday during the Semi finals and New Albany was playing a team that had already trashed during the regular season. He is/was the definition of a must get for Archie.. idk that we get TJD without him. (TJD really looks up to Romeo even though they probably wont play together)

It's not for you to decide who is an icon at IU and who isn't. 

In regards to Romeo, I think younger IU fans are going to consider him an I.U. legend more based on how his NBA career goes than his one year with the Hoosiers. I imagine for some older fans, how he relates back to I.U. will play a big part in how he is viewed.  If he is like Vic and Cody and donating to the program or is coming back over the summers and tweeting his support then he will be considered a great because their will be a bond.  I have seen a noticeable increase in appreciation for Thomas Bryant since he has started coming back around in just the last few months and last summer.  If Romeo is viewed as a Hoosier for life then it will go along way towards his legacy, if I.U. is just his one stop to get to the NBA then I imagine he wont be looked back as fondly.  For what its worth I think I.U landing Romeo is going to a real turning point and am optimistic still that its next payoff will be next Friday. 

I wish the negative stuff towards Romeo would go away. He's the 6th leading scorer in the Big Ten...as a Freshman. AND he defers quite a bit to his teammates. He plays like 36 minutes a game in the Big Ten. His defense has improved throughout the whole season. He's maybe even better off the court than on. Without him, we may not even have 10 wins.

Archived