Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at our team as a whole, is Romeo a critical part of our team? Absolutely. Is he the best player on our team? I'd say likely so. 

However, I think it's doing the likes of Juwan and Rob and really 3-4 other players a disservice if we don't give them full credit as well. Romeo has dissapeared big time in certain games during our slump and is something I can't just ignore. 

2 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

You guys looked good and I think you'll be dancing.

On the flip side, that was the worst defense I've seen in my life and I'm pretty old.

Maybe I'll check in with ya'll next fall.

tenor.gif

Bruce, love the GIF and since you're close to the program and watched, I have to ask...what happened?  Granted, IU has definitely played better offense recently, but IU is not known for their offense.  Like Illinois, our defense is usually what keeps IU in games.  I think most of us personally expected UI to throw some nasty defense at us and be amped up for senior night.  You have any insight as to why their defense went so far south last night?

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

They all played more than one season.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that was part of Mile's point.

Then what's the cutoff for "an IU Icon" status? 2 years? 3? My point is, those players, including George McGinnis (who he mentioned) left IU with eligibility left. They all left for the same reason as Romeo, and Eric Gordon before him...The allure of the NBA and guaranteed  money. 

They could have stayed and "helped IU BB" more, then, couldn't they?

If that's the argument, it's beyond weak. And don't fool yourself...Any kid on the roster past or present would jump if they were a guaranteed lottery pick and the guaranteed money that goes with it. Rob, De'ron, Justin...Any of them.

I know it's simply Mile's opinion, and he's welcome to it. I just happen to disagree. George McGinnis I'd a HUGE IU Icon. So are Isiah, and Cody and Vic...And Romeo

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then what's the cutoff for "an IU Icon" status? 2 years? 3? My point is, those players, including George McGinnis (who he mentioned) left IU with eligibility left. Theh all left for the same reason as Romeo, and Eric Gordon before him...The allure of the NBA and guaranteed  money. 

If that's the argument, it's beyond weak. And don't fool yourself...Any kid on the roster past or present would jump if they were a guaranteed lottery pick and the guaranteed money that goes with it. Rob, De'ron, Justin...Any of them.

I know it's simply Mile's opinion, and he's welcome to it. I just happen to disagree. George McGinnis I'd a HUGE IU Icon. So are Isiah, and Cody and Vic...And Romeo.

This is where I'm at as well. For example, I love Yogi, he was a great 4-year player for IU, but he didn't stay for years for the love of IU. If Yogi was 6'4" he would have been at IU no more than 2 years. In terms of how long they will have stayed at IU, the only difference between Yogi and Romeo Langford is 6-7 inches in height. 

55 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh it absolutely does. You dont live in Indiana. 

Romeo absolutely had Damon Bailey hype. 

This is a video I still have on my phone that I shot at Seymour last year. Want to know what time this was? 545pm on Friday during the Semi finals and New Albany was playing a team that had already trashed during the regular season. He is/was the definition of a must get for Archie.. idk that we get TJD without him. (TJD really looks up to Romeo even though they probably wont play together)

It's not for you to decide who is an icon at IU and who 

I'm not debating what you are saying but the Seymour Regional is always sold out

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm not debating what you are saying but the Seymour Regional is always sold out

This wasnt the regional... and no it's not always sold out, been there a fair amount of times when it wasn't sold out for a regional. 

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is where I'm at as well. For example, I love Yogi, he was a great 4-year player for IU, but he didn't stay for years for the love of IU. If Yogi was 6'4" he would have been at IU no more than 2 years. In terms of how long they will have stayed at IU, the only difference between Yogi and Romeo Langford is 6-7 inches in height. 

I don't fault Romeo for leaving for the NBA early, and wouldn't if Yogi was taller either. But Yogi will likely go down for me as a more memorable Hoosier based on his body of work at IU for 4 years instead of one. Yogi gets the memories nod and Romeo gets the big payday, both are positives in their own way. If Romeo helps us go on a tourney run my view of him as a Hoosier goes up dramatically. 

1 minute ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I don't fault Romeo for leaving for the NBA early, and wouldn't if Yogi was taller either. But Yogi will likely go down for me as a more memorable Hoosier based on his body of work at IU for 4 years instead of one. Yogi gets the memories nod and Romeo gets the big payday, both are positives in their own way. If Romeo helps us go on a tourney run my view of him as a Hoosier goes up dramatically. 

Romeo's impact on the program will extend well beyond the time he actually plays.  He will create recruiting momentum, especially within the state.

1 minute ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Let me ask you this out of curiosity.  Who is the better player?  If you are picking a team Yogi or Romeo?

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This wasnt the regional... and no it's not always sold out, been there a fair amount of times when it wasn't sold out for a regional. 

I didn't thoroughly read that post and realize it was a sectional Friday night. I remember growing up before class basketball you'd be lucky to get a seat at Seymour Regional.  I should have said almost.  There have also been some down years for Jeff, new albany, and Floyd in the last 19 years to go along with Jennings county and Madison had squads back in the day too.  

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I didn't thoroughly read that post and realize it was a sectional Friday night. I remember growing up before class basketball you'd be lucky to get a seat at Seymour Regional.  I should have said almost.  There have also been some down years for Jeff, new albany, and Floyd in the last 19 years to go along with Jennings county and Madison had squads back in the day too.  

All true, yes. Last year was just insane lol 

10 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I agree with that. No matter why they were at IU 4 years, it's more memorable and you create a better "bond" with a multi-year player. You watch them develop and mature. Totally agree with you. 

I've had this debate with Mile several times, but when he posts about it he makes it sound as if the guys that played 4 years made a decision to do it for IU when they could have left. I agree with the part about being more "attached" to a 4-year player, but it's not like Yogi was passing up the lottery to stay at IU, he didn't even get drafted after his senior year. 

Juwan is another guy. A great Hoosier. One of my favorites of recent years. But the only reason a guy like Zeller was here two years and Juwan four is because Juwan isn't good enough to be a lottery pick. It has nothing to do with either guys love or dedication to IU. 

6 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Indiana at Illinois: The Report Card, including the first two A+ performances of the season.
Final grades
Box score/specialty stats
Post game interviews
Post game show
Highlights

Love all your articles and analysis TDH but so happy your prediction of Illinois winning was wrong!

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If you don't live in Indiana, you can't even begin to understand how important Romeo was/is to basketball in the State.  

His impact goes way, way beyond how many points he scores (and we tend to ignore his rebounding and other things he does for some reason).

Ohh, You got me.  I don't live in Indiana... now.  But I have been an avid IU fan for decades, and Life Time Member of the IUAA.  And I saw the impact Romeo had on the IU fan base long before ever donning the Candy Strips. Followed him pretty closely, as a matter of fact. Read the stories and watched the videos of his games, and post game meet and greets. Watched and read about the BB court being named after him.  Even conversed with people who know and talk to his parents. So don't give me that, I was not aware of his impact before IU, just because I don't live in the great state of Indiana, any longer.

So.... what constitutes an IU icon ?   I will give some examples.  All of which, though I live in Colorado now.... I have seen with my own eyes.  Guys that have accomplished things in an IU uniform, that Romeo will never come close to accomplishing in an IU uniform. Romeo would have to stay for more than one year, and in some cases two or more years, in order to accomplish what some of  these guys did :

Jimmy Rayl....  Two time IU game scoring record. I saw both times he scored 56 points.

Don Schlunt... I was a youngster when Don became a three time All-American for IU.

Steve Alford.... Concensus All-American.

Walt Bellamy..... I watched as "The Big Bell" became not one but a two time Big Ten player of the year.

Kent Benson.... Two time All-American.

Calbert Cheaney.... National Player of the Year ---- and, IU's leading all time scorer.

Archie Dees..... I watched him as he became, not one but a two time Big Ten MVP.

Scott May.... 2 TIme Concensus All-American.

^^^^^^ These, good people of Hoosier Sports Nation are what I consider to be IU icons. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Then what's the cutoff for "an IU Icon" status? 2 years? 3? My point is, those players, including George McGinnis (who he mentioned) left IU with eligibility left. They all left for the same reason as Romeo, and Eric Gordon before him...The allure of the NBA and guaranteed  money. 

I know it's simply Mile's opinion, and he's welcome to it. I just happen to disagree. George McGinnis I'd a HUGE IU Icon. So are Isiah, and Cody and Vic...And Romeo

I don't disagree at all.  I have no argument with your point/opinion because I have no definition of an "IU icon" nor any real opinion.   Icon...a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol or as worthy of veneration.   😁

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Ohh, You got me.  I don't live in Indiana... now.  But I have been an avid IU fan for decades, and Life Time Member of the IUAA.  And I saw the impact Romeo had on the IU fan base long before ever donning the Candy Strips. Followed him pretty closely, as a matter of fact. Read the stories and watched the videos of his games, and post game meet and greets. Watched and read about the BB court being named after him.  Even conversed with people who know and talk to his parents. So don't give me that, I was not aware of his impact before IU, just because I don't live in the great state of Indiana, any longer.

So.... what constitutes an IU icon ?   I will give some examples.  All of which, though I live in Colorado now.... I have seen with my own eyes.  Guys that have accomplished things in an IU uniform, that Romeo will never come close to accomplishing in an IU uniform. Romeo would have to stay for more than one year, and in some cases two or more years, in order to accomplish what some of  these guys did :

Jimmy Rayl....  Two time IU game scoring record. I saw both times he scored 56 points.

Don Schlunt... I was a youngster when Don became a three time All-American for IU.

Steve Alford.... Concensus All-American.

Walt Bellamy..... I watched as "The Big Bell" became not one but a two time Big Ten player of the year.

Kent Benson.... Two time All-American.

Calbert Cheaney.... National Player of the Year ---- and, IU's leading all time scorer.

Archie Dees..... I watched him as he became, not one but a two time Big Ten MVP.

Scott May.... 2 TIme Concensus All-American.

^^^^^^ These, good people of Hoosier Sports Nation are what I consider to be IU icons. 

That's great, for you. Some of us don't. 

11 minutes ago, hoosierfan615 said:

Love all your articles and analysis TDH but so happy your prediction of Illinois winning was wrong!

I was right there with him and very pleased to be wrong.  I expected Illinois to be really jacked up for IU and senior night but in the end, it didn't matter the way IU was playing offense.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Right here, right now you are an NBA exec.  Yogi or Romeo?

Hope you don't mind if I chime in?

I'm usually pretty definitive in projecting how I think guys will do in the NBA, but Langford has been a tough one for me all year. Don't get me wrong, if I'm drafting I'm taking Langford over Yogi every time and he'll almost certainly have a better NBA career than Yogi. With that said, I'm still really mixed on exactly how good I think Langford will be at the next level. 

Obviously he's an elite finisher at the rim and has a solid mid-range game, but NBA teams don't really shoot from the mid-range anymore and he will have an adjustment finishing among bigger/stronger NBA players, but that's minimal concern because he'll adjust to the size and he'll fill-out and develop his body over the years. His handles are also really suspect, he almost has no left hand whatsoever. And then there's the perimeter shooting. I'm not sure how he'll adjust to the three-point line being further away after already struggling mightily at the college line. Again, I'm sure he'll adjust to that, but how long will it take. 

With all that said, the kid can score and while he'll be going against better defenders, I'm curious to see how the better spacing in the NBA allows him to thrive. While the defenders are quicker and stronger, it's much easier to get into isolation situations due to the defensive 3-second rule which should really help his game. 

Bottom line is that I'm not sure if he's All-Star caliber or more like maybe Harrison Barnes like. Barnes is a good NBA player no doubt, but remember coming out of high school he was getting hyped up big time. People were expecting him to be an all-star level player. I think he was the first freshmen to be names preseason All-American. 

Archived