Illinois Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's not self serving.  It's wanting what is best for IU.  What is repulsive about wanting the best for your University ?  I find it repulsive when IU fans don't care enough to want what is best for IU.  Using IU as a stepping stone for one year, in order to benefit a player financially, is what I consider to be self-interested. 

'

But you can do it for 4 years and you're fine lolol.. where do you draw the line?  Newsflash COLLEGE IS A STEPPING STONE FOR EVERYONE

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

So extreme that you find nothing wrong with a one and done using IU to further his personal self-interest ? 

Nor do I find anything wrong with a business major coming to IU for 2 years to get their Masters from Kelley. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's a fair take. EJ led the team in scoring, he was our dominant scorer, but DJ was of course dominant inside. EJ shot it from outside but was more a driver and slasher, though. My take is that EJ did carry that team, they wouldn't have been 24-4 without his dominant scoring, but again, fair take.

Ellis, Crawford, and Bassett were no slouches either. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wasn't responding to the iconic label. With the way this season has gone he may not be considered "iconic" however one wants to define that, but he's clearly one of the best players we've had, and he may well end up an NBA star -- another one -- out of IU. 

Rob P. ran circles around Romeo Thursday night against Illinois. And Rob will be here next year, helping this team. 

I can't understand how people who become infatuated with one and don's don't understand how they don't help out IU in the long run.  Now instead of having a shooting guard to compliment Rob.... we have to start over...... again. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Nor do I find anything wrong with a business major coming to IU for 2 years to get their Masters from Kelley. 

Neither do I. I have a degree from Kelley.  But I sure as heck couldn't help the IUBB team.... nor the person who goes after his Masters at IU, either.

Proud to be a Kelley grad. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I wasn't responding to the iconic label. With the way this season has gone he may not be considered "iconic" however one wants to define that, but he's clearly one of the best players we've had, and he may well end up an NBA star -- another one -- out of IU. 

Ok...thanks.  I was away for awhile and didn't catch the meaning of your earlier response correctly.  Appreciate your clarification.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It's not self serving.  It's wanting what is best for IU.  What is repulsive about wanting the best for your University ?  I find it repulsive when IU fans don't care enough to want what is best for IU.  Using IU as a stepping stone for one year, in order to benefit a player financially, is what I consider to be self-interested. 

'

The entire point of IU as an institution is for students to put themselves in a position to succeed in life; a university is by very nature a stepping stone. 

Would you be upset if a KSoB student left school to start a company? What if another student left to go work and support their impovershed family? What if someone left IU to serve in the military? 

^^^  KoB.

Honestly feel you are conflating things now.  If a Kelley student leaves school, for what ever reason.... the only people that would be aware, would be his family and perhaps a small circle of friends.  He is not in the spotlight like an IUBB player, let alone representing the University in a public venue. Much less have the opportunity to do something to lift up the premier sports program of the University.

By the way.  Since you mentioned the military.  When I was in school.... there was a thing you might never have heard of.... called the draft.  I chose to finish my degree.  And, then... the first thing I did was to enlist for the military.  Sorry. I placed IU over the U.S. Army.  But, they both were happy to have me in their own ways. 

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But you can do it for 4 years and you're fine lolol.. where do you draw the line?  Newsflash COLLEGE IS A STEPPING STONE FOR EVERYONE

Well, then.  Why not get your degree from IU, before moving on to the NBA ?  Two stones at one time. 

No, I've got it.  You would rather see IU continue to go after one and dones. Struggle to fill their places. Continue to play with inexperienced freshman.  Criticize the coach when he has to start and restart his program.... and eventually call for his dismissal..... only to start the cycle over and over again. 

Not sure that Romeo has announced his intentions yet? He hasn’t declared for the draft, and I don’t believe it’s a sure thing...I agree with the sentiment that we don’t really want to do a “ serious rebuild” on the backs of OAD players. AND, I agree that Rob is blossoming right now. I also know, that if Keion chooses UK, all of us IU fans will feel stung. I think it would have been the same if Romeo was at Kansas right now. We would feel jilted.The impact of MR Basketball from this state, choosing this school cannot be understated. But I also agree that someone who only plays for one season can’t really be an icon.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe we should distinguish between Indiana basketball icons and IU basketball icons.  Mile didn't even list Damon and he is hands down the biggest icon in the history of Indiana basketball.  

No, his IU and pro careers may not have measured up to some of those that were listed, but let's not kid ourself into believing that diminishes his icon status.

I would argue that Alford was just as iconic and led his team to a banner to boot

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would argue that Alford was just as iconic and led his team to a banner to boot

No need to argue.  That's why I had Alford on my list of IU icons.  On a NCAAT championship team.... as well as becoming an All-American.

But it seems at least one member discounted that.   WOW !

The argument between Romeo and Yogi is hilarious, imo. For the first 3 years, Yogi was known and criticized for two things; looking for his shot first, and the dreaded get in the air with nowhere to pass it- especially under the basket. It was only his senior year that he became a facilitator and understood the importance of making his teammates a priority.

Romeo has got the unselfish aspect down pat, almost too much. His presence on the floor has made things easier for his teammates and made them better.

Romeo as a freshman = Yogi as a senior imo.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^^  Don't forget that Yogi took several seasons to perfect his three point shot as a Hoosier.  Something that will not happen with Romeo, should he choose to leave at the end of this season.

Maybe so. But Romeo hasn’t shot us out of games either. Yes there were a couple of games where he should have done something other than settle for a three, but Yogi was a volume shooter without the results until his senior year. 

If anything, Romeo could be criticized for being too unselfish 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

^^^  Don't forget that Yogi took several seasons to perfect his three point shot as a Hoosier.  Something that will not happen with Romeo, should he choose to leave at the end of this season.

Would you include DJ White on your list, albeit to maybe a slightly lesser degree?

11 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe so. But Romeo hasn’t shot us out of games either. Yes there were a couple of games where he should have done something other than settle for a three, but Yogi was a volume shooter without the results until his senior year. 

If anything, Romeo could be criticized for being too unselfish 

During our losing streak... I was one of those criticizing Romeo for being too unselfish.  As far as shooting us out of games, I would tend to disagree.  Can't recall the number of times he came up empty during the losing streak, taking ill advised threes, instead of driving the lane.  In fact, in one of our most recent games, he took a three with enough time left on the clock as the game was running down, instead of taking it to the hoop, and either making the shot, and or getting the foul or an old fashioned three. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Would you include DJ White on your list, albeit to maybe a slightly lesser degree?

I agree.  Right below in the list.  I actually thought of putting him on the list. Big Ten Freshman player of the year.  And MVP on one list.  Just fell short, IMHO.  But good on your part to mention him. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

I agree.  Right below in the list.  I actually thought of putting him on the list. Big Ten Freshman player of the year.  And MVP on one list.  Just fell short, IMHO.  But good on your part to mention him. 

And Victor Oladipo, above, below or equal to White?

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

'

I understand your point here Mile and the vast majority of time I agree with you.  However, I have a different take.  

I appreciate these young men who agree to represent IUBB and cheer for them so long as they are here.  But let's not kid ourselves, for those with the God given ability to also create a great financial situation for themselves by moving on to the NBA, they would be foolish to not take advantage.  After all, for those attending IU who do not play sports, isn't  the point of their attendance to create a career for themselves.   Isn't that what we did.  I just don't understand the point of criticism if they choose to leave early whether 1, 2, or 3 yr.  I don't want to adopt the model of UK or Duke and have a team full of them, but a few here and there added to long term players who a quite capable at the D1 level but probably won't make it in the NBA seems to be the perfect mix for adding NCAAT banners.  I thought that's what we all wanted so long as it is done within the rules.

I appreciate those who are playing and have played in the past regardless of the number of years they were here and wish them only the best when they leave.  And this is coming from someone who has absolutely no interest in the NBA or NFL for that matter.  I only have interest in collegiate sports.  Never pay any attention to Pro sports.  

Archived