Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

I would venture to say he's a lot more of an athlete than you ever thought of being.

Taking shots at college kids doing their best is softer than room temperature butter. 

I don’t know about that, I have quite the active imagination. 

Luckily for me and a whole host of other fans, Indiana basketball has higher standards than Fitzner’s “best” which is why he doesn’t play. 

Archie seemed to have his game face on even for the senior night stuff. I can't decide if I would've liked for him to have a bit more sentimentality towards things or still be laser-focused on the upcoming task. He's certainly the latter. I gathered from his post-game comments that he is not going to prepare his team to try and win one or two games in the BTT, but to win it all. 

20 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Archie seemed to have his game face on even for the senior night stuff. I can't decide if I would've liked for him to have a bit more sentimentality towards things or still be laser-focused on the upcoming task. He's certainly the latter. I gathered from his post-game comments that he is not going to prepare his team to try and win one or two games in the BTT, but to win it all. 

I agree with your take on Archie.

I don't think the man has any intention other than us winning the next 10 games. Can anyone take a moment to imagine? It feels crazy to think we would win the next ten to hang banner six, but then with the way we are playing, peaking at the right time, and the roster we have, doesn't it almost feel like, "yeah, if the stars aligned we could"? What's different with us and those Butler teams or those UConn teams? High-end talent, roleplayers, lots of toughness...

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think the man has any intention other than us winning the next 10 games. Can anyone take a moment to imagine? It feels crazy to think we would win the next ten to hang banner six, but then with the way we are playing, peaking at the right time, and the roster we have, doesn't it almost feel like, "yeah, if the stars aligned we could"? What's different with us and those Butler teams or those UConn teams? High-end talent, roleplayers, lots of toughness...

Ya know KoB you are spot on.  In the modern history of CBB there have been a couple of teams that played their way into the tournament and won it.  NC State in '83 and 'Nova in '85 come immediately to mind.  

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Ya know KoB you are spot on.  In the modern history of CBB there have been a couple of teams that played their way into the tournament and won it.  NC State in '83 and 'Nova in '85 come immediately to mind.  

There is those two, UConn has that great run, Syracuse went from play-in game to F4.

We have that makeup. A couple really talented players, some good roleplayers coming on at teh right time and we are hot at the right time. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

There is those two, UConn has that great run, Syracuse went from play-in game to F4.

We have that makeup. A couple really talented players, some good roleplayers coming on at teh right time and we are hot at the right time. 

I agree...heck look at Michigan in '89.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I don’t know about that, I have quite the active imagination. 

Luckily for me and a whole host of other fans, Indiana basketball has higher standards than Fitzner’s “best” which is why he doesn’t play. 

You're right, Fitz is not IU caliber. Calling him room temperature butter, and "not an athlete," I guess is one (immature) way of saying that. 

Just now, cohete15 said:

You're right, Fitz is not IU caliber. Calling him room temperature butter, and "not an athlete," I guess is one (immature) way of saying that. 

I think you're reading a lot into what was said that isn't there. If he was a good athlete and good shooter at 6'10, he would probably be an NBA player.

He has value and I'm glad we have him, but I think you're overrating how athletic all D1 guys are. Have you ever played a sport against D1 guys? They aren't all at some level that normal people can't touch athletically. 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Have you ever played a sport against D1 guys? They aren't all at some level that normal people can't touch athletically. 

Yes. I played 4 years worth of division 1 baseball and 1 year professionally. It depends on people's definition of athletic. 

Does it mean run fast, jump high, move quickly? Does it mean very skilled at multiple things? Does it mean being good at one sport or multiple sports? In my opinion, you're an athlete when you show skill. Skill generally translates to bring good at sports. Running fast, jumping high translates much less frequently. 

Maybe Evan doesn't do any of the first 3 things, but put him in a shooting contest, and he probably beats everyone on the team. He probably handles the ball in the Top 40% of D1 big men 6'10 or taller. Evan supposedly just picked up the game of golf and is supposedly ridiculously good for a beginner. Given that he's played 5 years of D1 basketball, he's a pretty good athlete. Is Michael Phelps athleticism the same as Lebron's the same as Tom Brady the same as Clayton Kershaw the same as Usain Bolt? (Obviously not) 

I will say, in general...normal people can't compete with Division 1 athletes. While a normal person may have some impressive attributes, the D1 athlete is going to have way more skill to go with his measureables.

My response to the OP about Evan wasnt so much about an endorsement of Evan, as it was in regards to toning down how we talk about these kids. It's one thing to say you don't think he should be playing because he's not very good in comparison to our other guys, versus, he's softer than room temperature butter and is not athletic. 

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Pet Peeve #1 - The 30-40 people sitting around me in Assembly Hall today that made their way to their seats AFTER the opening tip.  it's a weekend.  No one is rushing to the game after work.  There is no reason that so many of you could not make it to your seat before the tip instead of disturbing the first 5 minutes of the game for everyone that did make the effort to get there on time.

Pet Peeve #2 - To those people that were in their seats 15 to 20 minutes before tip that decided the under 16 timeout in the first half was a great time to go to the concession stand.  Exactly what refreshments did you need 4 minutes into the game that you could not have gotten before the game started?

Rat over.

Stand Up Old People clap-clap-clapclapclap :coffee:

6 hours ago, cohete15 said:

No offense, but why on earth be so demeaning to a player just as we get the ship righted.  We seem to have overcome the woes of Jan/Feb and heading into the BTT with a real chance to make it into the NCAAT.  Something I thought impossible 2wk ago.  As Fans, can't we just appreciate the moment and not be so hypercritical of players.  Let's get behind these young men!  Save the negativism for OSU, MSU, and all the other opponents standing in our way.  We have no idea how valuable ANY of these players may be on any given night.  

7 hours ago, cohete15 said:

Yes. I played 4 years worth of division 1 baseball and 1 year professionally. It depends on people's definition of athletic. 

Does it mean run fast, jump high, move quickly? Does it mean very skilled at multiple things? Does it mean being good at one sport or multiple sports? In my opinion, you're an athlete when you show skill. Skill generally translates to bring good at sports. Running fast, jumping high translates much less frequently. 

Maybe Evan doesn't do any of the first 3 things, but put him in a shooting contest, and he probably beats everyone on the team. He probably handles the ball in the Top 40% of D1 big men 6'10 or taller. Evan supposedly just picked up the game of golf and is supposedly ridiculously good for a beginner. Given that he's played 5 years of D1 basketball, he's a pretty good athlete. Is Michael Phelps athleticism the same as Lebron's the same as Tom Brady the same as Clayton Kershaw the same as Usain Bolt? (Obviously not) 

I will say, in general...normal people can't compete with Division 1 athletes. While a normal person may have some impressive attributes, the D1 athlete is going to have way more skill to go with his measureables.

My response to the OP about Evan wasnt so much about an endorsement of Evan, as it was in regards to toning down how we talk about these kids. It's one thing to say you don't think he should be playing because he's not very good in comparison to our other guys, versus, he's softer than room temperature butter and is not athletic. 

Where did you play cohete15?

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I love Archie’s mentality. He should coach with the bravado that IU is going to win every game the rest of the season. I definitely think they have a chance to win the B1G tournament. We’ll just see where everything ends up

8 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I appreciate the response. I think you're defining athleticism differently than a lot of people would, and that's okay so long as we all understand where people are coming from. I don't think Tom Brady is an elite athlete, but I think he is the best football player of all time. 

I agree we should be a little more kind in how we talk about our players. 

2 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

No offense, but why on earth be so demeaning to a player just as we get the ship righted.  We seem to have overcome the woes of Jan/Feb and heading into the BTT with a real chance to make it into the NCAAT.  Something I thought impossible 2wk ago.  As Fans, can't we just appreciate the moment and not be so hypercritical of players.  Let's get behind these young men!  Save the negativism for OSU, MSU, and all the other opponents standing in our way.  We have no idea how valuable ANY of these players may be on any given night.  

Just to be clear...I was not the one being demeaning. I am on your side. Evan can bring some good stuff to the table, and I hope he hits a couple threes on Thursday in route to a W.

It's been mentioned by the Brooks family how they've noticed the way some IU fans have acted on social media during our losing streak, and that it's been off-putting. Devonte has alluded to this type of thing on his twitter account, as well. All the players feel it and see it. HSN and Twitter are not your local watering hole bar where only a couple buddies hear you. I was just giving a reminder that the IU basketball players are just kids. Something tells me that people in here wouldn't fire insults their own kids for getting a bad grade on a test, or dropping 3 passes, or striking out 3 times in a game, so there's no need to fire insults at kids you've never even met before. Let Archie handle the players...that's what we pay him to do, and he's doing a damn good job of it.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
Take a comprehensive look back at IU's 4th straight win with The Report Card including:
Senior day speeches
Post game interviews
Final grades
Highlights
Box score/specialty stats

OK I'm just going to say it. I'm glad you weren't grading me in college or otherwise! 

B+? We just curb stomped a Rutgers team that coming into that game was playing well, it was a beat down, we won by 16. 

Rutgers beat Minny then Iowa by 15, then lost to PSU by 1. We did commit more fouls than we should've in the first half, but when you win by 16, limiting the other guys' offensive boards and shutting them down, I don't see how that's just a B. Love your write-ups, but man, glad you didn't grade me in school lol

3 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Just to be clear...I was not the one being demeaning. I am on your side. Evan can bring some good stuff to the table, and I hope he hits a couple threes on Thursday in route to a W.

It's been mentioned by the Brooks family how they've noticed the way some IU fans have acted on social media during our losing streak, and that it's been off-putting. Devonte has alluded to this type of thing on his twitter account, as well. All the players feel it and see it. HSN and Twitter are not your local watering hole bar where only a couple buddies hear you. I was just giving a reminder that the IU basketball players are just kids. Something tells me that people in here wouldn't fire insults their own kids for getting a bad grade on a test, or dropping 3 passes, or striking out 3 times in a game, so there's no need to fire insults at kids you've never even met before. Let Archie handle the players...that's what we pay him to do, and he's doing a damn good job of it.

Absolutely. 

And these are guys who committed to IU and are playing for us, they're our guys, calling them things is at best in poor taste and out of line. And yes, players and their families read the boards, treat them with respect.

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK I'm just going to say it. I'm glad you weren't grading me in college or otherwise! 

B+? We just curb stomped a Rutgers team that coming into that game was playing well, it was a beat down, we won by 16. 

Rutgers beat Minny then Iowa by 15, then lost to PSU by 1. We did commit more fouls than we should've in the first half, but when you win by 16, limiting the other guys' offensive boards and shutting them down, I don't see how that's just a B. Love your write-ups, but man, glad you didn't grade me in school lol

Well, if you ask @milehiiu, the grades are generally too generous 🤣.  I get that Rutgers has been playing better, but they are still a 14-16 team.  For me, a 16 point home win over a team like that where our defense wasn't great is a B+.

2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Well, if you ask @milehiiu, the grades are generally too generous 🤣.  I get that Rutgers has been playing better, but they are still a 14-16 team.  For me, a 16 point home win over a team like that where our defense wasn't great is a B+.

Actually, as of late, your grades have been spot on, as far as I am concerned.  It was during our losing stretch, that I felt you were too generous.  Can't argue with your grades, since IU has turned thing around.  That's why you haven't heard from me, lately.  ;)

Also, watched some of your You Tube videos this A.M.   You need to do more. 

11 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

According to that announcer yesterday Rutgers and a Steve Pikeil coached team is every bit as good and tough as a mid 2000s Izzo coached team.  I mean how can you stop McConnel, Omuruyi, or the 2nd coming of Ron Harper.  It's a miracle we won.  I'd give us a 10, a 10.

https://goo.gl/images/2yKiC1

59 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Hmm, and we are still just a 17-14 team, and 16-14 going into that game, right? Not meaning to give you a hard time TDH, and definitely enjoy your write-ups, just saying this is not a vacuum, Rutgers stomped Iowa, they were certainly playing a lot better, and we curb stomped them. I want an A. :) 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Actually, as of late, your grades have been spot on, as far as I am concerned.  It was during our losing stretch, that I felt you were too generous.  Can't argue with your grades, since IU has turned thing around.  That's why you haven't heard from me, lately.  ;)

Also, watched some of your You Tube videos this A.M.   You need to do more. 

Thanks.  I have to find the hours in the day!  It is a TDH mission in the offseason to find a partner so we can really take off.

Archived