2019 Big Ten Tournament

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not a true statement.  In 2001, Georgia was 16-14.  And there have been others.

I stand corrected, but this was the write up I saw about it.

Four games above .500: This is the best indicator there is for a minimum standard for selection by the committee.  Only one team in 25 years has received an at-large bid that was fewer than four games above .500.  That team was Georgia in 2001, which was 16-14 and played a schedule unlike anything we have ever seen.  The Bulldogs played 27 of its 30 games against teams in the RPI top 100. If they had used the term "quadrant" back then, that would be quadrants 1 and 2.  Nobody gets compared to that team because of its significant outlier of a schedule

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought the consensus was always win 18+ games, have no bad losses, have 5-6 wins over tourney teams and you're probably in.  We'll have accomplished that if we win Thursday and the bubble is very soft this year.

Not to mention, we played 20 conference games. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I thought the consensus was always win 18+ games, have no bad losses, have 5-6 wins over tourney teams and you're probably in.  We'll have accomplished that if we win Thursday and the bubble is very soft this year.

I feel pretty confident that would do it, but just like in pro boxing, never leave it in the hand of the judges...strange things can happen.

5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I stand corrected, but this was the write up I saw about it.

Four games above .500: This is the best indicator there is for a minimum standard for selection by the committee.  Only one team in 25 years has received an at-large bid that was fewer than four games above .500.  That team was Georgia in 2001, which was 16-14 and played a schedule unlike anything we have ever seen.  The Bulldogs played 27 of its 30 games against teams in the RPI top 100. If they had used the term "quadrant" back then, that would be quadrants 1 and 2.  Nobody gets compared to that team because of its significant outlier of a schedule

31 games for 2019 IU vs
30 games for 2001 Georgia

I must use the only tool in common from that time to this time.  The RPI.

2001 Georgia: 27/30 teams were rated in the RPI top 100.
15-12 in those 27 games.
2019 Hoosiers: 19/31 teams were rated in the RPI top 100.
7-12 in those 19 games.

Entering selection Sunday:
Georgia was 4-6 in its last 10 and losers of 3 of 4.
Indiana's future history is yet to be written.  However, IU is 5-5 in its last 10.  With 3 of those wins coming against Quad 1 competition.  4 of those 5 losses have come by an average of 4 points.

*Going through the schedule and the criteria, I count only 4 quad 1 wins for IU.  I obviously missed something somewhere with everyone saying we have 6.  If someone can show me 2 Quad 1 wins outside of MSU(2), Marquette, & Wisconsin, please let me know.  I had much more that made these 2 teams much more comparable, but with that metric not fully understood, its hard for me to go further with this study.

By definition, Quad 1 : Home = RPI Top 30, Neutral = RPI Top 50, Away = RPI Top 75.  It is my understanding that.....
Quad 1 wins CAN degrade, meaning if a victory over a top 30 team at home becomes at best a victory over a top 50 team instead, its quadrant 2.
Loiusville at this time is Quad 2 as they are currently 32 in the RPI.
Penn State has fallen to 85 in the RPI.

6 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

31 games for 2019 IU vs
30 games for 2001 Georgia

I must use the only tool in common from that time to this time.  The RPI.

2001 Georgia: 27/30 teams were rated in the RPI top 100.
15-12 in those 27 games.
2019 Hoosiers: 19/31 teams were rated in the RPI top 100.
7-12 in those 19 games.

Entering selection Sunday:
Georgia was 4-6 in its last 10 and losers of 3 of 4.
Indiana's future history is yet to be written.  However, IU is 5-5 in its last 10.  With 3 of those wins coming against Quad 1 competition.  4 of those 5 losses have come by an average of 4 points.

*Going through the schedule and the criteria, I count only 4 quad 1 wins for IU.  I obviously missed something somewhere with everyone saying we have 6.  If someone can show me 2 Quad 1 wins outside of MSU(2), Marquette, & Wisconsin, please let me know.  I had much more that made these 2 teams much more comparable, but with that metric not fully understood, its hard for me to go further with this study.

By definition, Quad 1 : Home = RPI Top 30, Neutral = RPI Top 50, Away = RPI Top 75.  It is my understanding that.....
Quad 1 wins CAN degrade, meaning if a victory over a top 30 team at home becomes at best a victory over a top 50 team instead, its quadrant 2.
Loiusville at this time is Quad 2 as they are currently 32 in the RPI.
Penn State has fallen to 85 in the RPI.

It's because this year's quadrants are being defined by the NET, not RPI. Louisville is 22 in the NET and Penn State is 49th.

16 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Thanks.  The 9 definitions I found showed RPI as the criteria.  I failed to find any using the NET. 

There's one or two articles out there that point that out, but I found mostly the same thing.  The ones that define it using RPI are typically from last year. 

30 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Nebraska vs Rutgers and NW vs IL tonight. Look like both could be close games. The second game should draw a crowd at least. 

Plan on watching? Who do you favor?

Not sure I will watch.  Will root for Rutgers and Northwestern.

Archived