#1 seeds

rico

I think Virginia is a lock at this point as well.  That leaves 2 more up for grabs:

Duke (with a healthy Zion) should get one provided they win the ACC.  If not, UNC gets one if they can win the conference.  If neither, who knows?

The SEC can either produce UK, LSU (to be later vacated TIC), or Tenn as a one seed.  Whoever wins that likely gets the last top seed.  

MSU has a “draw to the inside straight” chance if two dark horses win the ACC and SEC and they can win the B1G.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

What about Texas Tech or Houston?

I think the Big 12 is hurt a bit by Kansas not being the same as they usually are.  Texas Tech has a good resume for sure, but it doesn’t pass the eye test for a #1 seed in my opinion given the other options available to fill in.  Same can be said for Houston.  Good team, great season, but the overall body of work falls just short for a #1 seed.

7 minutes ago, ClusterHead said:

I think the Big 12 is hurt a bit by Kansas not being the same as they usually are.  Texas Tech has a good resume for sure, but it doesn’t pass the eye test for a #1 seed in my opinion given the other options available to fill in.  Same can be said for Houston.  Good team, great season, but the overall body of work falls just short for a #1 seed.

I agree on Houston, but TT winning the Big 12 CT would be huge for their argument.  The conference is deep, but it only has 10 teams in it.  

14 minutes ago, rico said:

I agree on Houston, but TT winning the Big 12 CT would be huge for their argument.  The conference is deep, but it only has 10 teams in it.  

Texas Tech is in the same boat as MSU though. If they win the Big 12 who do you bump off the 1 line if Duke/UNC and UK/LSU/Tenn win their respective conferences?  The Big 12 isn’t as strong as the ACC or SEC this year (depth is an issue for the Big 12), so they have the “inside straight” chance as well.

Not saying it’s not possible, but they don’t have the resumé as some of the other potential #1s.

10 minutes ago, ClusterHead said:

Texas Tech is in the same boat as MSU though. If they win the Big 12 who do you bump off the 1 line if Duke/UNC and UK/LSU/Tenn win their respective conferences?  The Big 12 isn’t as strong as the ACC or SEC this year (depth is an issue for the Big 12), so they have the “inside straight” chance as well.

Not saying it’s not possible, but they don’t have the resumé as some of the other potential #1s.

The one thing about TT is that conference has a completely balanced schedule.

Saw this story on SI.com. It doesn't really fit the topic of No.1 seeds, but it does speak to analytics and the favored teams to win based on defensive and offensive efficiency.  The big takeaway for me, and its something I've seen from us the last few games, you have to produce on both offense and defense.  I think the thing that has stood out to me during this winning streak is that IU is playing with confidence on offense, running and getting some easy baskets and not waiting until the shot clock runs down to take a shot. Increased offensive efficiency with continued great defense will win a championship. Go IU

https://watchstadium.com/news/one-of-these-nine-college-basketball-teams-will-win-the-national-championship-03-10-2019/

My guess is that if UK ends up with a 1 seed our resume miraculously gets a lot better and we end up with an 8/9 seed in their regional.  If they end up with the 2 seed we are in the 7/10 matchup.

1 seeds will be Gonzaga, Virginia, SEC winner, and ACC winner or runner up if Virginia wins

3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

My guess is that if UK ends up with a 1 seed our resume miraculously gets a lot better and we end up with an 8/9 seed in their regional.  If they end up with the 2 seed we are in the 7/10 matchup.

1 seeds will be Gonzaga, Virginia, SEC winner, and ACC winner or runner up if Virginia wins

Of all the potential one or two seeds I want Kentucky in the second round. 

2 hours ago, hoopsta007 said:

I'd take that matchup.

So if I have read everything right here...pretty much the consensus is Gonzaga, UVA and another team from the ACC, and the SEC CT champ.  So that leaves out 1 team from the ACC, 2 from the SEC.  So now what does the 2 line look like?

Just now, rico said:

So if I have read everything right here...pretty much the consensus is Gonzaga, UVA and another team from the ACC, and the SEC CT champ.  So that leaves out 1 team from the ACC, 2 from the SEC.  So now what does the 2 line look like?

I'd certainly like to assist removing MSU from that line.

10 hours ago, rico said:

UNC or Duke

UT

MSU

?

Archived