If you were a fan of a mid majpr program

On the drive home I had time to think and was wondering if you were a fan of a mid major program.  Would you rather have a great season like Belmont hat went 25-6 but lost in the tournament final and might miss the NCAA tournament. Or would you rather have your team have a mediocre season ad finish like 14-16 but get hot for 3 days and win your tournament.  Would it be more fulfilling to see a great team for 4 months or see your team get hot for 3 days and win the conference tournament.  Also more than likely those 17-16 teams will probably get a 15 or 16 seed and get beat badly in the first round of the tournament.

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

If you're in a traditionally 1 bid league, give me the tournament bid. Like they used to say about the World Series of Poker: a chip and a chair is all you need.

I don't know because I would think seeing 4 months of great basketball would be better than just seeing 3 great days.  If it was like we talked about with IU and would you rather lose in the first round of the tournament or win the NIT I would take the tournament bid.  I think being a fan of a team form a one bid league the regular season would have more importance for your outlook on the season.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know because I would think seeing 4 months of great basketball would be better than just seeing 3 great days.  If it was like we talked about with IU and would you rather lose in the first round of the tournament or win the NIT I would take the tournament bid.  I think being a fan of a team form a one bid league the regular season would have more importance for your outlook on the season.

Can't be Cinderella if you're not invited to the ball.

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

On the drive home I had time to think and was wondering if you were a fan of a mid major program.  Would you rather have a great season like Belmont hat went 25-6 but lost in the tournament final and might miss the NCAA tournament. Or would you rather have your team have a mediocre season ad finish like 14-16 but get hot for 3 days and win your tournament.  Would it be more fulfilling to see a great team for 4 months or see your team get hot for 3 days and win the conference tournament.  Also more than likely those 17-16 teams will probably get a 15 or 16 seed and get beat badly in the first round of the tournament.

I'll equate my answer the same way I viewed IU's 2012-13 season. #1 ranking most of year, Big 10 champs,etc..... to have it all end on one tourney game. Give me the 4 months. Yes the end is/was difficult but I'll take 4 months of that over 1 week. 

Put me in the cam[ pf referring the great season.  In the end, I'm going to be prouder of, and have more fond memories, of a great season than I am of a mediocre team that played well enough to win a conference tournament.  And, it's worth noting, that it's often not the team that beats the regular season champion that actually wins the tournament.  

18 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Put me in the cam[ pf referring the great season.  In the end, I'm going to be prouder of, and have more fond memories, of a great season than I am of a mediocre team that played well enough to win a conference tournament.  And, it's worth noting, that it's often not the team that beats the regular season champion that actually wins the tournament.  

Not sure I agree with this... If Indiana makes the Final Four this season, I bet I’ll look back more fondly on this season than I do the 12-13 season.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not sure I agree with this... If Indiana makes the Final Four this season, I bet I’ll look back more fondly on this season than I do the 12-13 season.

Yes if they make the final four but which season would you rather have. Purdue regular season championship but lose in the second round or our regular season and making it to the sweet 16.  also mainly talking about mid major and usually one bid leagues.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Purdue regular season championship but lose in the second round or our regular season and making it to the sweet 16

From Indiana's perspective, that's pretty close to even.  S16 is nice, since it gets us to the second week, but for IU, it's not a major accomplishment.  Losing in the 2nd round would hurt, but at least there's a B10 championship as a consolation. 

A mid-major, the Sweet 16, especially if that's further than they've ever been in the tournament before. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

From Indiana's perspective, that's pretty close to even.  S16 is nice, since it gets us to the second week, but for IU, it's not a major accomplishment.  Losing in the 2nd round would hurt, but at least there's a B10 championship as a consolation. 

A mid-major, the Sweet 16, especially if that's further than they've ever been in the tournament before. 

When I am talking about mid majors I am not talking about them reaching the sweet 16.  I am talking about a team like Belmont who was 26-6 but lost in the conference tournament.  Would you rather have their season or have a team who finished 14-16 but won the conference tournament only to lose in the first round of the tournament.

22 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Be hot all year. I live just north of Murray State. The publicity that they have gotten from Ja Morant has been incredible. The kid alone has brought in over 7 million dollars in advertising alone...and that isn’t counting what they will get from the tournament. The publicity and tv time etc has been huge for the university. Don’t even know what the marketing dollars would estimate out to or what they got paid for the extra TV games this year. (They were only scheduled to have 2 outside the conference tournament against SEC schools) and I think they ended up with 5 on espn. That is a real boost to their university and program.

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Be hot all year. I live just north of Murray State. The publicity that they have gotten from Ja Morant has been incredible. The kid alone has brought in over 7 million dollars in advertising alone...and that isn’t counting what they will get from the tournament. The publicity and tv time etc has been huge for the university. Don’t even know what the marketing dollars would estimate out to or what they got paid for the extra TV games this year. (They were only scheduled to have 2 outside the conference tournament against SEC schools) and I think they ended up with 5 on espn. That is a real boost to their university and program.

Would wonder what those numbers were last year for Loyola-Chicago and Sister what’s her name?

I would imagine that that mid-major cherished their dance much more than their regular season 

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Would wonder what those numbers were last year for Loyola-Chicago and Sister what’s her name?

I would imagine that that mid-major cherished their dance much more than their regular season 

They had the best of both worlds.  They won their conference's regular season and tournament titles too. 

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Sister Jean followed Harry Carey & Mike Ditka and opened a place on Rush Street called Bar Nun

:coffee:

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah certainly they got a lot of money and publicity from their run...but I just know Murray has had a huge jump ALL year because of Morant constantly getting them on ESPN and the tv stuff. Heck even if they were just avg he would have them making a ton of money this year for that small school. One can only imagine say the jersey sells for Romeo and extra exposure he has brought to IU with his publicity...much less a small school like Murray with Morant....I see 12's all over the place down here.

21 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I'm generally in the same camp, but anytime anyone makes history for th e first time it's a big deal, so I guess for me it would be dependent on the year and specifics results. 

It is ironic, and worth mention,  that the team I first thought of in this less frequent scenario you alluded to : UMBC was that team - in the America East-  to beat 1st place Vermont last season, went on to win the AET and earn that 1-16 game with UVA. The rest is history obviously. Might be rare, but depends on how it ends.

Archived