Fort Wayne

rico

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Great news! I am not familiar with the Fort Wayne area much but if travel in and out is good then that would be great!

The article is pretty vague, but it was pretty much what was on the news.  Makes me think that the NCAA is seriously considering moving out of Dayton.

1 hour ago, rico said:

The article is pretty vague, but it was pretty much what was on the news.  Makes me think that the NCAA is seriously considering moving out of Dayton.

First Four is in Dayton through the 2022 tournament.  NCAA has never done a long term contract with UD, but they've also never moved it either. 

The logic that I typically hear as to "Why Dayton?" would equally apply to Fort Wayne: centrally located to most of the US population, decent travel infrastructure/airport, big-but-not-too-big of a city, and a local population that loves basketball. 

FWIW, Evansville put a bid in the last time the contract was up.  Might be kind of interesting to establish a rotation of smaller midwestern cities that fit the above profile and rotate the First Four like they do the Final Four. 

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

First Four is in Dayton through the 2022 tournament.  NCAA has never done a long term contract with UD, but they've also never moved it either. 

The logic that I typically hear as to "Why Dayton?" would equally apply to Fort Wayne: centrally located to most of the US population, decent travel infrastructure/airport, big-but-not-too-big of a city, and a local population that loves basketball. 

FWIW, Evansville put a bid in the last time the contract was up.  Might be kind of interesting to establish a rotation of smaller midwestern cities that fit the above profile and rotate the First Four like they do the Final Four. 

The Coliseum is historical in my neck of the woods......but why not Indy?  The NCAA is based there.  Have it at Hinkle?  

4 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Plus, nepotism, since it's NCAA HQ.

Oh, sorry.  Forgot we were talking the NCAA, the organization that pees on the idea of ethics.  Carry on. 

Regardless, I would be tickled if it came to Fort Wayne.

Lot of basketball history has come out of the great city of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I hazard a guess that many of our younger members who follow the NBA, are  aware that the Detroit Pistons first started out in Fort Wayne. Nor the fact that the NBA really was because of the first owner of the Fort Wayne Pistons, who formed an agreement with the NBA... Or that the name came from Mr. Zollner, a piston manufacturer in Fort Wayne.

Fort Wayne Pistons (1941-1957)

Plus. I would be lacking, not mentioning the wonderful Fort Wayne Coney Island.... any time Fort Wayne comes to mention, on this great forum.

IMG_7466-700x700.jpg

Yes, this is a big deal in “the Fort”. The Coliseum is a great venue and the county has put a lot of money into upgrades and renovations. It is annually rated in the top 10 for arenas its size. Fort Wayne has hosted Women’s NCAA tournament games, has hosted the finals in NCAA volleyball, and first round games in the Frozen Four tournament. Randy Brown, the GM of the Coliseum does an excellent job making the place profitable almost every year and the city goes all out to promote and support the events there.

This tournament is being hosted by Manchester College, a D-3 School about 20 miles from FW. 

Hopefully, turnout is strong and helps the NCAA to consider more events here. Whenever IU has played here or even scrimmaged, the place has sold out quickly 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Lot of basketball history has come out of the great city of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I hazard a guess that many of our younger members who follow the NBA, are  aware that the Detroit Pistons first started out in Fort Wayne. Nor the fact that the NBA really was because of the first owner of the Fort Wayne Pistons, who formed an agreement with the NBA... Or that the name came from Mr. Zollner, a piston manufacturer in Fort Wayne.

Fort Wayne Pistons (1941-1957)

Plus. I would be lacking, not mentioning the wonderful Fort Wayne Coney Island.... any time Fort Wayne comes to mention, on this great forum.

IMG_7466-700x700.jpg

How about Powers Hamburger  Shop!!  The NBA  teams would travel by train and get let off at my home town of Waterloo. Tommy Heinisohn from the Boston Celtics said they would drop us off among the corn fields in the middle of nowhere and take us to the Green Parrot restaurant and a couple of teenage hoods would take us to Ft  Wayne. I think a bus would take them but Tommy might have rode with 1 of the hoods once or twice .

56 minutes ago, loviubb said:

How about Powers Hamburger  Shop!!  The NBA  teams would travel by train and get let off at my home town of Waterloo. Tommy Heinisohn from the Boston Celtics said they would drop us off among the corn fields in the middle of nowhere and take us to the Green Parrot restaurant and a couple of teenage hoods would take us to Ft  Wayne. I think a bus would take them but Tommy might have rode with 1 of the hoods once or twice .

Powers Burgers !  Yes !

My good friend, and fellow HSN member..... WaffleheadFred.... who will be at my house this Sunday to partake in our annual Corned Beef and Cabbage festival, celebration of Saint Patty's day..... is a Fort Wayne Native. 

Waffle's word of caution to me. In terms of Powers. Fantastic.  However, never eat them in your car.... for your car will smell like a Powers Burger for ever, if you do .   LOL.  

Powers Hamburgers 

7 hours ago, loviubb said:

Is that hamburger place still around?

9 hours ago, loviubb said:

The photo display in the Waterloo train station of the Nazi who decapitated himself on the tracks is gnarly.

Archived