Ohio State post game

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I stay away from Rivals.  I like the civility of this board.  Could be more open minded to those who are not all sunshine and puppies but its a good board either way

Agree. It was a tough season and we down right sucked for a month or so. Just looked liked we had turned it on at the right time. 

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just let people vent they way they want Scott.  Everyone doesn't always have to have an answer to every post trying to sway the way they feel.  Sometimes you just let people be upset, mad, happy, optimistic, pessimistic, or outright out of their minds.  Most of the time, people don't want an answer to their post,  just a place to vent

I agree somewhat IowaHoosier.....however, people post knee jerk things on here without thinking things through.....They are ABSOLUTELY looking for that quick response, just to get a rise. Those are the people that we never see on this board. As a matter of fact, when I see posts like that, I quickly look at their profile next to their posts and see that they are either a newbie, or just a member. These guys come on her just to rattle chains and "piss" people off. These guys are fishing for a "bite" from some sucker!

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Well when I was younger I would have been upset for days and let it effect the people around me because I hated losing so myc.  Today I really try not to let this effect me for that long and try to move on.

Same. I also very much agree with IowaHooserFan's posts, as it's helpful to vent. Boards like this can be cathartic, especially after a brutal loss like today, in that there are people to commiserate with. 

2 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

Yes IU probably played it's way out today..

Let us all remember that the committee itself still picks the field, and not the fans, nor the so-called "Bracketologists" 

Yep. I think a few ESPN types set the narrative and it gets parroted throughout the media. I think we were comfortably in before that game and right on the bubble now. 

45 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't remember a lot of other bad calls though. I often complain about the refs, but I thought they did okay. 

Let me give you eight AWFUL calls that without question changed the game. 

1) Romeo got fouled late in the first half. He lost the ball and it led to a layup. There was no whistle. 

2) Green got hit in the face and lost the ball, again no foul. Again, layup. 

3) Al Durham drives from the right wing, loses the ball but has two players fall on top of him. No foul, no travel, just a whistle to stop play and reward OSU with the ball. 

4) Al Durham drives up the middle, gets hammered on a made layup. No call. 

5) Al Durham drives baseline, gets hammered on a made layup. No call. Al and Archie both scream at the refs. 

6) Romeo guarding (I believe Jackson) gets shoved 5 feet off of his spot. No call on a made shot that extended the lead late. 

7) Fitzner gets called for a charge that would have been an And One. Wesson slid under him when he was in the air. 

😎OSU traveled on the inbounds. Should have been our ball down two under the basket with three seconds left. The kid fell down and threw it from his butt. 

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I agree somewhat IowaHoosier.....however, people post knee jerk things on here without thinking things through.....They are ABSOLUTELY looking for that quick response, just to get a rise. Those are the people that we never see on this board. As a matter of fact, when I see posts like that, I quickly look at their profile next to their posts and see that they are either a newbie, or just a member. These guys come on her just to rattle chains and "piss" people off. These guys are fishing for a "bite" from some sucker!

Don't disagree but its the internet.  Its a Basketball Forum.  And everyone has a right to post whatever they want within the rules.  The rules don't state you have to only post positive things.  Sometimes people just need someone to confirm how they feel.  Not try and have their minds changed or told to go somewhere else.  The name of this forum isn't onlypositivehoosiersportsnations and the rules don't stipulate that you have to be positive about all things at all times.  So why not just let them vent and move on.  Engaging actually does the opposite most of the time. 

And honestly, was a pretty moderate response to losing a game we needed to win and should have won

Just now, Petertucky said:

In my youth, passions ran high after a loss like this.  Maturity has replaced that with melancholy, and empathy for the team.  Other than the charge, Fitz brought it.  So did Green.

Right there with you, Peter. Life became a lot simpler once my priorities changed.  These kids tried.  They made some bad decisions and bad shots, but it was obvious they wanted to win, especially at the end.  A couple of breaks and they get the job done.  The overall trajectory of the program is encouraging despite more bumps in the road than I care to see.  Despite some doubters, this is a good coach...best one we've had since Knight IMO, and that includes Sampson (didn't care for how he recruited and disciplined players).  I think it was ZLine that repeated the old four year wisdom...lose big, lose close, win close, win big.  I think Archie is capable.  The question is how loud do our crazies scream about this in the interim...

...and someone just needs to nuke the Rivals forum.  Nothing healthy about the lunacy there...

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm as disappointed as anyone, but I have found some solace...

I've come to the conclusion that Archie Miller is the right guy for IU. He's a grinder. We know he can do the X's and Os. We know he can recruit. The last check box for me was, how does he handle egos/injuries/adversity/descension within the team. 

Even through the losing streak, he said, "we just have to go back out there and compete. In practice and in games." He didn't come apart and lose the team. He ground it out.

The further he can develop "his" culture, the more we will win. He's a young guy who will only get better with time.

Go IU!

Agreed. There is no magic coaching pill that makes us immune from slumps, losing, etc. Archie has the goods in my opinion and will only continue to trend up...that's my gut feeling anyways. Today sucked though and is always tough to swallow. 

To be honest, its condescending to remind somebody of the bigger problems we face as a society and country on a basketball forum for a team that just threw itself out of tournament contention. We are all fine people, with a decent sense of character.

We could/should have won the game today and we didn't, and now our season is effectively over. I will never understand the feeling that its not okay to share frustration and open criticism after something like that game.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1) Romeo got fouled late in the first half. He lost the ball and it led to a layup. There was no whistle. 

3) Al Durham drives from the right wing, loses the ball but has two players fall on top of him. No foul, no travel, just a whistle to stop play and reward OSU with the ball. 

5) Al Durham drives baseline, gets hammered on a made layup. No call. Al and Archie both scream at the refs. 

6) Romeo guarding (I believe Jackson) gets shoved 5 feet off of his spot. No call on a made shot that extended the lead late. 

7) Fitzner gets called for a charge that would have been an And One. Wesson slid under him when he was in the air. 

😎OSU traveled on the inbounds. Should have been our ball down two under the basket with three seconds left. The kid fell down and threw it from his butt. 

I don't remember 1 and 2.

I forgot about 3. I'm not sure what I think there. It was clearly after the play, it was clearly accidental (the OSU guy got knocked off balance by his teammate), but he also got landed on - so I might agree. 

4 and 5 were good no calls. 5 in particular Durham clearly initiated the contact. 

6 was weak and guys get away with that all the time.

7 I think I agree, but does Fitzner really have enough air for a guy to slid underneath him.

I'm not sure if 8 is a joke or an auto-format, but I believe you're allowed to fall. 

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Right there with you, Peter. Life became a lot simpler once my priorities changed.  These kids tried.  They made some bad decisions and bad shots, but it was obvious they wanted to win, especially at the end.  A couple of breaks and they get the job done.  The overall trajectory of the program is encouraging despite more bumps in the road than I care to see.  Despite some doubters, this is a good coach...best one we've had since Knight IMO, and that includes Sampson (didn't care for how he recruited and disciplined players).  I think it was ZLine that repeated the old four year wisdom...lose big, lose close, win close, win big.  I think Archie is capable.  The question is how loud do our crazies scream about this in the interim...

...and someone just needs to nuke the Rivals forum.  Nothing healthy about the lunacy there...

I am not sold on Archie yet and i don't think the trajectory is showing anything yet.  We won a few games at the end and played like a team should but then played like the team of the last 2 years when it counted.

With that said, earlier in the year i said i think he should be fired if we miss the tourney.  I have had more time to think and know that he needs at minimum next year to show what he can do.  If we are in the same boat at the end of next year.  I will officially be on the lets find a new coach wagon.  But until then, i will wait and see what he can do to prove he can handle coaching hi level talent and a high talent league.

This loss was tough because of how we all thought we had turned the corner and how everyone was saying we're the team no on wants to play right now anywhere in the country

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with you but the last one because on that play you can run the baseline so I don't think falling down would be considered traveling.

Beyond disappointed in this season. Hope Romeo stays. He’s not ready to be pro. Gonna take the L in stride, and be ready for next year. Dont want NIT, don’t want to risk more baffling games/ coaching / effort. Hope we can keep our heads up, we are Indiana, and we are, Never Daunted. 

7 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

You're not going to get an and one on the Fitz charge call - IIRC, he didn't shoot the ball. 

As for Archie, there's no way I'm firing him before I see what he does with his own recruits as seniors. 

He passed it to Davis. Davis made it and got hacked. When the whistle blew I thought it was an and one because of how long they took to call the charge. 

I am wondering how this team will react to playing in the NIT.  Will they come out and paly hard and try to win or will they just go through the motions and  lose so the season will be over.  Also wonder if Romeo will be like some of these football players who set out bowl games and not play in the NIT

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering how this team will react to playing in the NIT.  Will they come out and paly hard and try to win or will they just go through the motions and  lose so the season will be over.  Also wonder if Romeo will be like some of these football players who set out bowl games and not play in the NIT

It was on bleacher report rick Bozich reported Romeo said he will play in the NIT

1 hour ago, CTrojan88 said:

I’m as much of a homer as the next guy but how was that a bad call?  That was a dumb charge by Fitzner.  Should have pulled up and dumped it off, he just went in out of control and the OSU goon made a good play

He went under him, it was close but obvious. Not a call they ever make in that situation.

Archived