Ohio State post game

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, rico said:

Alright I am calmed down after that pathetic performance.  Hey Juwan, I am talking to you.  You too Romeo.  You two stunk it up today.  You guys are our studs and in a game of this importance that is what you bring?  Pitiful.  Oh, and hey coach Miller what were you doing?  Your season is on the line and you change nothing.  Ponderous.  Now I am ready to stroke out...again.

I thought Miller was great. What did he do wrong? He brought us back with a lineup that was sitting Juwan because he was changing things. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2019/03/14/iu-basketball-blows-ncaa-tournament-hopes-big-ten-loss-ohio-st/3161670002/

I take solace in the fact that Doyel is Nostra-dumb-@$$ when it comes to his future predictions so we are likely to go undefeated and win the championship next year, but....but it is hard to argue with quite a bit of that article.

This year was a HUGE disappointment given what we were thinking for this team back in October.  Next year has got to be better.  The type of effort we showed today and for a large portion of the year is just not acceptable.  If there are guys on the team who had trouble getting up for that game today, then I question just what they are doing playing D1 ball for a big time program.  If you want to coast through a year then you need to be at a lower level.  After the first 20 or so kids in every class, there is not enough to separate you from a lesser talent that allows you to approach the game that lackadaisically.

Hated to see our guys come out flat...

I’ve read many times in various sports that the intensity ramps up from pre-conference to conference games and then again for postseason games. I have read that until a player experiences this, they don’t realize how much more they have to bear down and play with more intensity. We started two kids playing their first collegiate postseason game. We started two more who may have played some in last year’s BTT game but I don’t know that they played meaningful minutes. When 4 out of your 5 starters are experiencing postseason play for the first time, and playing a more experienced team to boot, it doesn’t surprise me that they started the game the way they did. It doesn’t surprise me that it took the better part of the game to become more focused. It doesn’t surprise me that Devonte and Evan played like they had been in this level of game. It does surprise me that Juwan was not more of a steadying force until the younger kids got over being wide eyed and shell shocked.

Just my two cents on what went down today 

Honestly I like Smith. Going into this season he was my preseason favorite player. Seeing him on the court today/most of the season has been rough which frustrated me because he like I said was probably my favorite player pre season. (Friends made fun of me for always backing him.) I don’t want to give up on him as a player but unless he doesn’t get motivated and improve... Pains me to say this but I don’t see him more than a 5-6 minute player on a great team. He really doesn’t have a position. I don’t think he’s strong enough to be a Big Ten 4. But he’s way too slow and not really good with ball control to be a wing. If he were to transfer I actually would be sad but I could definitely see it. 

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Yep. And I’d like to add that he’s a good dude. Also, he’s surrounded by friends and family who are big IU fans, so trust me, he doesnt have it out for us despite what some may think. Reffing is a tough job - take for instance that charge against Fitzner, making that call in real time isn’t easy. There’s even debate on this thread whether that was or wasn’t a charge after we saw a replay in slow motion and from different angles. Not saying you can’t be critical, just offering a little perspective. 

I'm sure he is a nice guy and reffing is a tough job, but there are a lot of tough jobs, and he sucks at it. Also he didnt call the charge, so I'll give him that.

I really didn't think this game was on archie. Our team was straight passing it to the other team, and smith turned back into a soft player. Green made me mad early but he really killed it towards the end. Really wonder if we would have been better off getting him more looks all season.

Unfortunately this team missed wide open 3s repeatedly early. We need shooters. No offense can function like this.

9 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I'm sure he is a nice guy and reffing is a tough job, but there are a lot of tough jobs, and he sucks at it. Also he didnt call the charge, so I'll give him that.

He also didn't call the fouls on any of the three times Al got hit hard enough to charge OSU with a crime....

7 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I really didn't think this game was on archie. Our team was straight passing it to the other team, and smith turned back into a soft player. Green made me mad early but he really killed it towards the end. Really wonder if we would have been better off getting him more looks all season.

Unfortunately this team missed wide open 3s repeatedly early. We need shooters. No offense can function like this.

I think that's a fair question about Green. He is streaky, but when he gets hot he can really light it up. Maybe he is a player that you are better off cutting loose and understanding he's going to make some really bad plays; today he was a huge net positive despite some really bad plays. 

I'm optimistic that the last 5 games we've seen out of Devonte are going to be in line with what we will see out of him in his senior year.  He's always been the big positive or big negative and has a history of being streaky.  But even with the occasional head scratching play, this has just felt like a different Devonte.  It seems like something clicked.  His attitude, his confidence, his leadership in this stretch all just look like something we haven't always seen from him but thought he was capable of.  I don't think DG and DD are going to take hits from anybody in there senior year without hitting back.  Without those guys playing at the level they have during this stretch, we don't win a single one of these games or even keep it close.  It's been a frustrating season, but those guys played like Hoosiers down the stretch.

9 hours ago, rico said:

Press

I'm not sure I get this. We employ a defense we haven't used all year, and probably don't spend much time practicing?

All I can see coming out of that would have been them carving us up for easy baskets, and IU being too tired to mount the comeback that they did.

6 hours ago, IUinLA said:

.  I don't think DG and DD are going to take hits from anybody in there senior year without hitting back. 

I think they both have showed flashes of on the court toughness that I like to see.  To be a true leader, Devonte has to avoid doing things off the court  that will get him suspended.  

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think they both have showed flashes of on the court toughness that I like to see.  To be a true leader, Devonte has to avoid doing things off the court  that will get him suspended.  

I've said it in other threads: mistakes are tolerable, not learning from them isn't. If the suspension was for what we believe it was probably for, that's your learning opportunity Mr. Green. He's got the grit and the talent to be a leader as a senior, if he's got his head in the right place.

This was just baffling.  Basically the same thing that happened last year... Team seemed to be turning the corner and playing better, and then just laid an egg in the conference tourney.  Archie’s teams are 1-6 in postseason play over the last four years... What gives?

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Hated to see our guys come out flat...

I’ve read many times in various sports that the intensity ramps up from pre-conference to conference games and then again for postseason games. I have read that until a player experiences this, they don’t realize how much more they have to bear down and play with more intensity. We started two kids playing their first collegiate postseason game. We started two more who may have played some in last year’s BTT game but I don’t know that they played meaningful minutes. When 4 out of your 5 starters are experiencing postseason play for the first time, and playing a more experienced team to boot, it doesn’t surprise me that they started the game the way they did. It doesn’t surprise me that it took the better part of the game to become more focused. It doesn’t surprise me that Devonte and Evan played like they had been in this level of game. It does surprise me that Juwan was not more of a steadying force until the younger kids got over being wide eyed and shell shocked.

Just my two cents on what went down today 

How do you explain that this game looked just like the team that lost 12 of 13?  At some point we can't keep saying they are not experienced enough to bring the energy because they don't know how.  These guys just ended a full B1G season and went on a 4 game winning streak to end the season beating some decent competition.  Then come out and completely just give it away.  No, i don' t think at this point its a lack of experience.  This team feeds off the 3 point game.  When they are hitting 3 pointers they get excited and start playing loose.  When the 3 is failing to go in, they just stand around the 3 point line and wait to take another and another shot.  Almost every "comback" we have is when someone starts lighting up 3s and they start playing loose again.  It has happened all season.

just my two cents.  You opinion is just as valid and i am not saying you are wrong, just my opinion on what you said.

10 hours ago, Cbp4IU said:

Honestly I like Smith. Going into this season he was my preseason favorite player. Seeing him on the court today/most of the season has been rough which frustrated me because he like I said was probably my favorite player pre season. (Friends made fun of me for always backing him.) I don’t want to give up on him as a player but unless he doesn’t get motivated and improve... Pains me to say this but I don’t see him more than a 5-6 minute player on a great team. He really doesn’t have a position. I don’t think he’s strong enough to be a Big Ten 4. But he’s way too slow and not really good with ball control to be a wing. If he were to transfer I actually would be sad but I could definitely see it. 

Perhaps more than anyone else, Smith suffered from this team's lack of shooting. He's a guy that needs space in the paint to take his man one on one (when he gets the ball in close), to receive the dump down on a drive, and to get offensive rebounds and put backs. With the defense clogging the lane there was no room for him to do any of the things he does. Instead he tried to do things he can't.  

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Was Rob not 100% yesterday?  He played 18 minutes, 1-6, made little impact.  He has been the man lately.  

Rob was pretty bad yesterday. Really not sure why. I wouldnt be surprised if he was sick. But his on-court performance is likely what led to his decrease in minutes. That, and the fact that Devonte couldn't miss. 

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure I get this. We employ a defense we haven't used all year, and probably don't spend much time practicing?

All I can see coming out of that would have been them carving us up for easy baskets, and IU being too tired to mount the comeback that they did.

How do you know until you try?  Heck, IU sure looked like they had plenty of energy come the end of the game.

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

How do you explain that this game looked just like the team that lost 12 of 13?  At some point we can't keep saying they are not experienced enough to bring the energy because they don't know how.  These guys just ended a full B1G season and went on a 4 game winning streak to end the season beating some decent competition.  Then come out and completely just give it away.  No, i don' t think at this point its a lack of experience.  This team feeds off the 3 point game.  When they are hitting 3 pointers they get excited and start playing loose.  When the 3 is failing to go in, they just stand around the 3 point line and wait to take another and another shot.  Almost every "comback" we have is when someone starts lighting up 3s and they start playing loose again.  It has happened all season.

just my two cents.  You opinion is just as valid and i am not saying you are wrong, just my opinion on what you said.

As I said, there is a big difference in the level of intensity between regular season and tournament games. My eye test showed that OSU played like they had been in this atmosphere before, and we did not. Regardless of how experienced our young guys became in the regular season, in my opinion it's a different ballgame in the postseason.

10 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As I said, there is a big difference in the level of intensity between regular season and tournament games. My eye test showed that OSU played like they had been in this atmosphere before, and we did not. Regardless of how experienced our young guys became in the regular season, in my opinion it's a different ballgame in the postseason.

As I said in the game thread, the boys showed no sense of urgency.  Like they didn't know or care what was at stake.  

Archived