Ohio State post game

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe...and may be a sign of a "deer in the headlights" effect.

I might tend to agree with you had we not seen this deer in the past.  But we saw this exact one for over 2 months.  And i find it hard to understand how a group of young basketball players don't bring it when they know everything is on the line.  Experienced or not.  And some of these kids played in State Championships which has more excitement that the first couple days of the B1G tourney.

And i understand that you and I will very likely not agree on this team.  You don't very often see anything wrong with the team or the coach and tend to find outside or other factors that contribute to why the team played the way they did or the coach coached the way he did.  I tend to find fault in the players and the coach and don't like to attribute it to outside factors much at all.  Just the way we think and feel about IU basketball.  Not saying either is correct but more likely somewhere in the middle which neither of us are likely to end up.

I acknowledge your point and stand by mine

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I might tend to agree with you had we not seen this deer in the past.  But we saw this exact one for over 2 months.  And i find it hard to understand how a group of young basketball players don't bring it when they know everything is on the line.  Experienced or not.  And some of these kids played in State Championships which has more excitement that the first couple days of the B1G tourney.

And i understand that you and I will very likely not agree on this team.  You don't very often see anything wrong with the team or the coach and tend to find outside or other factors that contribute to why the team played the way they did or the coach coached the way he did.  I tend to find fault in the players and the coach and don't like to attribute it to outside factors much at all.  Just the way we think and feel about IU basketball.  Not saying either is correct but more likely somewhere in the middle which neither of us are likely to end up.

I acknowledge your point and stand by mine

The past includes the last 4 wins in a row, all of which were must win games and included of course the sweep game of MSU. 

It was clearly a head scratcher, they were pretty clearly out of sorts, but imo you can't just ignore the power drive 4 games going into this one. They fell flat. Really sucks. Especially as this game would've very likely sealed a tourney bid. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The past includes the last 4 wins in a row, all of which were must win games and included of course the sweep game of MSU. 

It was clearly a head scratcher, they were pretty clearly out of sorts, but imo you can't just ignore the power drive 4 games going into this one. They fell flat. Really sucks. Especially as this game would've very likely sealed a tourney bid. 

I don't disagree with this.  I just am not going to blame it on us being young.  Romeo shouldn't be shell shocked with everything he has been through in his career.  Morgan is a Senior and didn't do anything.  Green and Al both have played and have experience.  Only Phin would have any excuse of being shell shocked but come one, its the 2nd day of the B1G tourney, not the NCAA.  They guys reverted back to what we watched for 2 months before the last 4 games.  

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't disagree with this.  I just am not going to blame it on us being young.  Romeo shouldn't be shell shocked with everything he has been through in his career.  Morgan is a Senior and didn't do anything.  Green and Al both have played and have experience.  Only Phin would have any excuse of being shell shocked but come one, its the 2nd day of the B1G tourney, not the NCAA.  They guys reverted back to what we watched for 2 months before the last 4 games.  

However you look at it, extremely frustrating. Being honest, I'd be a lot less frustrated if we'd been playing poorly going into that game. Just sucks. That's all I've got.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

However you look at it, extremely frustrating. Being honest, I'd be a lot less frustrated if we'd been playing poorly going into that game. Just sucks. That's all I've got.

I couldn't agree more.  I thought we had something after those last 4.  Thought we could at least win 1 game and sneak into the tourney.  Instead they go out and play just like they did through Jan and Feb.  Such a disappointing way to end the season  

30 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I just don’t get why this has happened two years in a row now.  We were 4-2 in our last 6 games going into the BTT last year, with our two losses being a road game against Nebraska and a double OT heartbreaker against ranked OSU.  Then we go and lose to 14 seed Rutgers.  Now this year, we follow up a 4 game win streak by laying an egg against OSU with a tourney berth on the line.  Like you said, extremely frustrating.

37 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I couldn't agree more.  I thought we had something after those last 4.  Thought we could at least win 1 game and sneak into the tourney.  Instead they go out and play just like they did through Jan and Feb.  Such a disappointing way to end the season  

This is exactly what I thought.  And to top It off WE ARE NOW HEALTHY.  How many times are we going to drink from the injury well to excuse this team.  WE WERE HEALTHY, WE KNEW THE NCAAT WAS ON THE LINE, and the players state the reason we lose is because they just didn't seem to have the energy they needed.  Among other things, this team has no will to not lose.  I  blame the players.  Their record is what they created.  I simply can't understand why anyone would put in the work and time into playing the game to allow themselves end on such a note.  Sorry, but I see no reason for IU to be selected for the tourney and even on the outside chance it occurred they probably couldn't fine the energy to show.  The NIT doesn't interest me whatsoever.  So all I can do is look forward to next year.  

Catharsis complete.  I feel much better now.

I forgot to tell everyone yesterday, this loss was on me. I was going to an 11:30 am meeting yesterday and swung by Whole Foods to get a coffee for myself and the guy I was meeting with. Pulled into the parking lot and the car I pulled in behind had an OSU license plate holder. I didn’t move my car, I didn’t egg the car, I just parked and got my coffee.  

I even thought, ‘this isn’t a good sign’, but still didn’t do anything about it. 

Archived