Everything NIT

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, azhoosier said:

Serious question: What’s the better scenario for the team, Go to the NCAA tourney and lose the first game or win the NIT? While I think it’s always good to make the NCAA, winning the NIT could still build some really good momentum for a young team. 

Not sure.  Depends on who is coming back.  I think this program's growth has been stunted by not playing past conference tournament, in fact, losing first round of conference tourney, how ever many times.  Get 2 more weeks of practice and 5 more games.  

I was going to ask, what's do you want to see more.  Winning this thing or finding out who our next 2 signees are going to be?  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not sure.  Depends on who is coming back.  I think this program's growth has been stunted by not playing past conference tournament, in fact, losing first round of conference tourney, how ever many times.  Get 2 more weeks of practice and 5 more games.  

I was going to ask, what's do you want to see more.  Winning this thing or finding out who our next 2 signees are going to be?  

Given the scenario I believe the extra practices and just finishing the year on a positive could help catapult next years team. I believe someone like Rob Phinisee would really benefit as well. It will be important for him to be a leader next year. 

12 minutes ago, azhoosier said:

Given the scenario I believe the extra practices and just finishing the year on a positive could help catapult next years team. I believe someone like Rob Phinisee would really benefit as well. It will be important for him to be a leader next year. 

Agreed. Since we are up against a mid major, it’s a good opportunity for young guys who may not of played much to get some time against a decent opponent. I’m thinking like Damezi, Race, and Moore. We have a lot of freshmen and sophs that will be on the team next year. Get out in front early and get these guys some court time. 

1 hour ago, azhoosier said:

I'm with ya!  Take the extra practices and game opportunities and run with it!  

2 hours ago, Lizard said:

Nah of course that's too extreme for the current social landscape.  Perhaps just stuff em into a trash can or pass around some used TP  ;)

Reminds me of a lazy co-worker a while back. He spent a lot of time in the jon and was always first to use it after lunch. So, just after lunch, we split a habanero pepper and rubbed the two halves on the toilet seat and blotted the tp. Litterally set his ass on fire. He couldn’t set still the remainder of the day.

Most productive few hours he gave the company.

This tournament is a good challenge for the program. Our team has not had proper winning hygiene.  Crean and Glass have presided over a program where nobody had a clue of what it takes to win.  

Knight would go berserk over a twenty point win if the players got lax or sloppy.  It’s not about the W.  It’s about having the proper habits that lead to consistency in fundamentals to ensure that a winning mindset is established.  That’s what I referred to as winning hygiene.   

The NIT is an opportunity to take a step forward in this regard and also to identify any players who lack the proper commitment. Crean and especially Glass have no clue about these concepts and Archie inherited this culture.  

After the 1979 NIT, IU took a big step forward, culminating in the 1981 title. After the 1985 runner up, IU got back on track, culminating in the 1987 title.  This is a good opportunity to move us onto a winning track. If we can win this thing, who knows we might look back on it as a positive step.  Watershed moment is probably an overstatement but I think we can test the mettle of this roster.  

2 hours ago, azhoosier said:

Serious question: What’s the better scenario for the team, Go to the NCAA tourney and lose the first game or win the NIT? While I think it’s always good to make the NCAA, winning the NIT could still build some really good momentum for a young team. 

Any post season play is great for a young team and especially one that has had a few inner squad conflicts. Obviously more playing time together should help in the long run.

I’ve always viewed the NIT as a kick in the teeth when it comes to IU. Personally, I can’t get past that. The wife asked how I felt about the game on Tuesday. My response was “You know I will always cheer on my Hoosiers. But, for me to attend the game, in my mind, is like me buying a ticket to watch someone drop kick my grandma”. 

Like some on here, and though I was a kid at the time, I’ve experienced the “glory days” with IU being a feared competitor going into post season play. It’s hard to accept less.

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

Any post season play is great for a young team and especially one that has had a few inner squad conflicts. Obviously more playing time together should help in the long run.

I’ve always viewed the NIT as a kick in the teeth when it comes to IU. Personally, I can’t get past that. The wife asked how I felt about the game on Tuesday. My response was “You know I will always cheer on my Hoosiers. But, for me to attend the game, in my mind, is like me buying a ticket to watch someone drop kick my grandma”. 

Like some on here, and though I was a kid at the time, I’ve experienced the “glory days” with IU being a feared competitor going into post season play. It’s hard to accept less.

I share these sentiments.  I've always referred to the NIT as the Nobody's Interested Tournament.  However, this team made it's bed and now must sleep in it.  They now have a second chance at redemption.  Even I have to concede that a win in the NIT could catapult us into the next season on a positive note.  Lord knows it would sure look a lot better to have Morgan and Langford have that as a going away present and be remembered in even a more positive light.  They have truly been fine young men representing IU a manner I appreciate.  So I too will be watching and cheering on my Hoosiers just as I always do.  But if they revert to what we saw in   Jan/Feb and against OSU CAM has some serious decisions to make in my opinion.

Go IU and win the NIT!  Let's feel good about ourselves again.

I’m so torn on the NIT. I’m glad I get to watch more IU games, and while I’m not really interested in the NIT, I’ll watch because it’s IU. But man, I’m so tired of IU sucking. The constant letdowns and disappointments are getting really, really old. 

I’ve always preached patience and I still be believe that, but something has to change (no, I don’t mean the coach). I’ll be a little deflated this offseason if we don’t add another impact piece somehow whether it be a grad transfer or JUCO player. 

10 hours ago, azhoosier said:

I would always take the NCAA bid but now we are in the NIT might as well play hard and win it.

Should Morgan play in the NIT or go the route that many college football players are going, and prepare for the combine? What is he going to show or prove in the NIT, that he hasn't shown in 4 years? Any injury to Morgan would most likely drop him in the draft, is it worth the risk? Romeo could be asking himself the same question, but he has the opportunity to play more college ball, so a slightly different scenario.

A ton of posters talk about how important the money and an NBA contract is, when talking about leaving school early. Where does playing in the NIT tournament fall in terms of priority?

11 minutes ago, Sapperin LA said:

Should Morgan play in the NIT or go the route that many college football players are going, and prepare for the combine? What is he going to show or prove in the NIT, that he hasn't shown in 4 years? Any injury to Morgan would most likely drop him in the draft, is it worth the risk? Romeo could be asking himself the same question, but he has the opportunity to play more college ball, so a slightly different scenario.

A ton of posters talk about how important the money and an NBA contract is, when talking about leaving school early. Where does playing in the NIT tournament fall in terms of priority?

As long as a player is healthy they should play and if I am a GM of a team and a player quits on his team I wouldn't draft him.  I just never understand this type of talk about players sitting out games and to me that is a quitters mentality.  This kind of thing was never even mentioned 20 years ago so why is it now.  Don't say money because rookie contracts use to be a lot larger than they are now.

Hoosiers 95 St. Francis of Pa. 72 ! In the second round , Indiana would host either Arkansas or Providence ! A chance for revenge against Arkansas for the one point screw job we got at their place ! How sweet it would be !!!!!!! P.S. Indiana University had SIX Quad One Wins ! Played in a conference that just placed 8 teams in the Big Dance ( More than any other conference in the country ! ) , had Nine underclassmen and sufferered more injuries than any other school in the country , yet makes the Nit with a winning record ? That is not " Sucking " ,That is an amazingly incredible season ,IMHO !!!!!!!!!!

I just hope Archie is very quick with the leash for anyone not playing all out. Just my opinion,  but there had to have been a very difficult  balancing act between discipline, and trying to build players up and keep them engaged. The off court issues just made that harder.

We had a shot until the final game to make the tournament.  Injuries had us very thin most of the season. Between practice and some hard observation,  he should know who really wants to play in the NIT.  Any one of us can tell within the first 3 minutes of a game which Justin we are going to get.  Lazy efforts and mindless turnovers should be immediate benching.  Time to set the tone going forward!

What pisses me off is that injuries weren’t considered with our team, but they were with others. I’m sure our record looked a lot different when we had all guys concussion, back, and ankle injury free. We beat the big ten champs twice. Frustrating! Instead of Michigan St being good wins for us, it considered a bad loss for them.

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

What pisses me off is that injuries weren’t considered with our team, but they were with others. I’m sure our record looked a lot different when we had all guys concussion, back, and ankle injury free. We beat the big ten champs twice. Frustrating! Instead of Michigan St being good wins for us, it considered a bad loss for them.

That's the ESPN factor. Always promote and protect your product, while trashing the competition. 

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Big time break for the Hoosiers!!!

If I'm a marginal first round prospect, I'd change my mind just out of embarrassment for the fact that Romeo Langford is playing in the NIT.  If he's not too good for the NIT, what the hell am I doing?

5 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If I'm a marginal first round prospect, I'd change my mind just out of embarrassment for the fact that Romeo Langford is playing in the NIT.  If he's not too good for the NIT, what the hell am I doing?

Skipping a meaningless tournament to focus on preparing for something that actually matters.  Fact of the matter is these kids are too good for the NIT.  I have a lot of respect for Romeo’s decision to keep playing, but I wouldn’t have blamed him at all if he had decided to sit.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

As long as a player is healthy they should play and if I am a GM of a team and a player quits on his team I wouldn't draft him.  I just never understand this type of talk about players sitting out games and to me that is a quitters mentality.  This kind of thing was never even mentioned 20 years ago so why is it now.  Don't say money because rookie contracts use to be a lot larger than they are now.

It also speaks to their motivation.  Are they all about the contract, or do they just love to play the game and compete? There's a hell of a big difference between "I want to get paid to play basketball" and "I want to play basketball". 

Hell, roll a ball up to Larry Bird today (bad back and all) and say "I'll kick your *** old man" and see what happens.  Now, do you think someone with that fire is going to skip a game of any level in their prime?

Archived