Everything NIT

21 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm not really getting how you can say an injury can happen at any time, and then think it makes sense to play in meaningless games. We just saw Zion come close to a significant injury because of a shoe, and that game actually meant something. If this was an NCAA tournament game, I think that's different, but I'm guessing we'll be lucky to see the stands half full for tomorrow night's game. Playing in this tournament does nothing for Romeo or Gafford's draft status, and the only thing that can happen of significance is negative. 

If you have a winning lottery ticket, do you just stuff it in your pocket because the odds of losing it isn't all that high? How about if you've grown up poor, and you have a chance to take care of everyone in your immediate family for life? There's simply no logic to taking a risk like this.

That is where we differ because this game still counts and you are on scholarship which means you play in every game that is on your schedule.  I guess where I dislike everything is that it is all about kids draft status instead of what is best for the program that gave you a scholarship to play basketball.  I just don't like how coddled these kids are today and no wonder a lot of them feel so entitled like they are owed the world.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is where we differ because this game still counts and you are on scholarship which means you play in every game that is on your schedule.  I guess where I dislike everything is that it is all about kids draft status instead of what is best for the program that gave you a scholarship to play basketball.  I just don't like how coddled these kids are today and no wonder a lot of them feel so entitled like they are owed the world.

Well, we definitely differ on this tournament counting for anything, other than a chance for the guys coming back next year to get some playing time, which doesn't apply to someone leaving for the NBA. As for your college football example, it's not a very good one, as that kind of proves my point, and I can easily counter that with Marcus Lattimore. Again, the reward isn't worth the risk. Your real problem shouldn't be with the kids who happen to be the most talented in their field and want to protect themselves, it should be with the NBA/NCAA, who force these kids to play college basketball at all. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the injury excuse is pretty lame. If a guy wants to quit now because he's ready to go sign some mega endorsement deals that are waiting on the table and begin monetizing his brand, fine. I get that. Might as well strike while the iron is hot. But not playing because of injury doesn't make sense in my opinion. You're just as likely to get injured in a private workout for a team before the draft, working out with your training "guru", or in a pick-up game in LA while you're preparing for the draft, as you are in an NIT game. Basketball players play basketball. They workout. They play in pickup games. 

So unless these guys are shutting down all basketball activities until they sign that first contract, then I don't see why they shouldn't play? 

Truth. 

I had a teammate break an ankle because he stepped wrong off the sidewalk. 

I had a teammate break an ankle while playing half court knockout waiting for the bus to arrive for a big weekend series. 

I had a teammate break a wrist sliding during practice on an uncontested play. 

A teammate throw out his back lifting weights. 

I know in my career, more injuries occured outside of games, for various reasons. 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

To me people have flawed thinking when you make all of your major decisions on money because most of the time it won't end well.  You should make your decision on whether it will make you happy and content and most of the time if you think money will give you that then you will be disappointed.  When making major decisions you should pray and think what will make you the happiest and not the richest.  Just like if you are making $45,000 a year and someone offers you $60,000 and a promotions.  If all you think about is the raise and just go ahead and take it a lot of times it will come back to haunt you.  The first thing you need to look at is whether this job will make you happy and content and will you like who you are working for.  Will you like who are  working with and whether you get along with co workers.  You should look at if you have to move your family and that you will like to work in the City you are moving to.

If you turn down a 33% raise after praying about it you should rethink whichever diety you pray to. 

34 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, we definitely differ on this tournament counting for anything, other than a chance for the guys coming back next year to get some playing time, which doesn't apply to someone leaving for the NBA. As for your college football example, it's not a very good one, as that kind of proves my point, and I can easily counter that with Marcus Lattimore. Again, the reward isn't worth the risk. Your real problem shouldn't be with the kids who happen to be the most talented in their field and want to protect themselves, it should be with the NBA/NCAA, who force these kids to play college basketball at all. 

I want the kids to be able to go straight to the NBA and leave the college game for actual college players.  Actually the NCAA has nothing to do with this rule so why would you have a problem with them

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

If you turn down a 33% raise after praying about it you should rethink whichever diety you pray to. 

Why is that because money is not everything and should never be why you make a change.  I guess I have way different priorities that you do because to me you never just make a decision solely on money and not look at whether the other aspects of that change will make you happy.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I want the kids to be able to go straight to the NBA and leave the college game for actual college players.  Actually the NCAA has nothing to do with this rule so why would you have a problem with them

Irrelevant, and I didn't say I have a problem with the current situation, you did. You have an issue with players who choose not to play. Point is the same - your frustration is misdirected towards the players, instead of the situation they are being put in.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Irrelevant, and I didn't say I have a problem with the current situation, you did. You have an issue with players who choose not to play. Point is the same - your frustration is misdirected towards the players, instead of the situation they are being put in.

Two different things because once they are on campus and are on scholarship they should have enough character to finish the season.  I guess you wouldn't have a problem if a team was a #1 seed in the tournament and your best player to decides not to play due to the fear of getting injure.  I have no problem with them going straight to the NBA if that is the rule.  Also no one made them go to college in the first place since they could have went to the G-League or over seas but they chose to go to college.  the reason for that is that they know those other avenues will not give them millions of dollars of free advertising.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Two different things because once they are on campus and are on scholarship they should have enough character to finish the season.  I guess you wouldn't have a problem if a team was a #1 seed in the tournament and your best player to decides not to play due to the fear of getting injure.  I have no problem with them going straight to the NBA if that is the rule.  Also no one made them go to college in the first place since they could have went to the G-League or over seas but they chose to go to college.  the reason for that is that they know those other avenues will not give them millions of dollars of free advertising.

Oy. I have stated multiple times that I'm talking about playing in the NIT, and not risking injury in a tournament that means almost nothing, particularly at a school like IU. Once the opportunity to win a national title is gone, I don't have a problem with a player protecting their financial future, especially when it's this significant. 

3 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I'm not really getting how you can say an injury can happen at any time, and then think it makes sense to play in meaningless games. We just saw Zion come close to a significant injury because of a shoe, and that game actually meant something. If this was an NCAA tournament game, I think that's different, but I'm guessing we'll be lucky to see the stands half full for tomorrow night's game. Playing in this tournament does nothing for Romeo or Gafford's draft status, and the only thing that can happen of significance is negative. 

If you have a winning lottery ticket, do you just stuff it in your pocket because the odds of losing it isn't all that high? How about if you've grown up poor, and you have a chance to take care of everyone in your immediate family for life? There's simply no logic to taking a risk like this.

Because basketball players play basketball, it’s what they do. If Langford doesn’t play tomorrow and IU loses, you can bet he’s going to be playing pickup with the guys in Cook Hall next week. Should he not do that? Because he is going to be doing that. It’s meaningless pickup games.

He’s going to spend countless hours playing and training over the next three months, much of which will be meaningless. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I turned down a $60K raise because I would have had to move to Scottsdale. Nothing wrong with Scottsdale, it just didn’t feel right after I prayed about it.  Less than a year later the entire sale force at Adobe was reorganized and I would have been in Scottsdale without a job.

By the way, I did thank my deity for that after it all happened.

To me it is about a contract & ethics. The college player made a commitment/contract to play ball for xyz university AND attend class. If the player doesn't fulfill that contract by

A) Sitting out to satisfy his agenda, then he should be financially responsible to repay that year's tuition.

B) He doesn't go to class and/or withdraws early (even with consent of program), the university should be punished in their APR.  If the everyday student withdraws early they ARE penalized financially as is the university graduation statistics.

I understand that some players come from poor situations but to me, he should have the strength of character to honor his contract. That's what life is about. It isn't always fair and just. Besides, most players that are in this category of players, take out insurance contracts that pay them in the event of injury. To me, everything else is just an entitlement mentality. You (the university) give me the bill of rights, free education, & free room and board. I'll give you my talents (as long as it's convenient).

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Because basketball players play basketball, it’s what they do. If Langford doesn’t play tomorrow and IU loses, you can bet he’s going to be playing pickup with the guys in Cook Hall next week. Should he not do that? Because he is going to be doing that. It’s meaningless pickup games.

He’s going to spend countless hours playing and training over the next three months, much of which will be meaningless. 

Well, we're not really talking about whether he chooses to do that or not, we're talking about if it's some sort of insult to the university or not fulfilling his obligation if he chooses not to play in the NIT because he doesn't want to get injured before signing a pro contract. That's what my initial response in this thread was addressing. Unlike Vonleh, who certainly seemed like he was protecting himself well before the season was over, Romeo at least looked like he was doing everything he could to get us into the NCAA tournament and win another title. Once that option is gone, as far as I'm concerned, he's fulfilled his commitment to the school with respect to basketball. 

On 3/17/2019 at 9:00 PM, Hoosier98 said:

I love watching Indiana basketball. This isn’t anyone’s dream but at least we get to watch Juwan and Romeo in the candy stripes one more time. I am going to miss Juwan a lot as will many, I’m sure. This isn’t only a gut check for the team and coach, also for the fans. Anyone who doesn’t wish them well should just go ahead and pick a new university. Stay positive! Indiana we’re all for you!!

i'm with ya on this one.  it's been a tough team to watch most of the time, but still love it!

On 3/18/2019 at 11:58 AM, IU Scott said:

Just look at Leonard Fournette and I said the same thing when he skipped his bowl game.  So far in his career I would have been right not to draft that guy.  He has missed a lot of games where people have questioned if he was actually injured.  He has showed a lot of immaturity where he has not been a good teammate and had the fight that got him suspended.  Give me a guy who goes out and plays and that cares about his teammates and just doesn't play for himself.

I'd say you are wrong.  IMO, each situation is different.  

I think in Fournette's case the LSU coach indicated he would be better off skipping the game to prepare for the draft. Kind of indicates to me the coach was looking toward next  year anyway.  Maybe he wanted him off the team. 

Christian McCaffrey skipped a bowl game.  Who wouldn't want that guy on their team.   

For a guy who is all about not winning at all costs, I think this is a bit hypocritical. I think you should apply the same to the kids when it makes sense. Gafford skipping the NIT makes some sense.  He has put in a second year and is moving on. Why put his future in jeopardy with an injury if he is ready to go?    In romeo's case, I feel he hasn't really made up his mind.  i guess we will see if he hires an agent but I think he goes to the NBA camps to gather info and will not make his decision until then.   Maybe romeo will return for another year of college and skip next year's NIT. 

23 hours ago, SteveS said:

I turned down a $60K raise because I would have had to move to Scottsdale. Nothing wrong with Scottsdale, it just didn’t feel right after I prayed about it.  Less than a year later the entire sale force at Adobe was reorganized and I would have been in Scottsdale without a job.

By the way, I did thank my deity for that after it all happened.

I had a similar experience....not that big of a raise but a significant one with better hours...and less than a year later the company folded when the recession hit back in 08. Thank God for his guidence.

Archived